Browsing: Removing Furniture Dents from Carpet

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Furniture Dents from Carpet

Heavy furniture leaves dents in the carpet that may be difficult to remove when you rearrange the furniture. This is a guide about removing furniture dents from carpet.

Furniture Dents from Carpet
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 10, 2010 Flag

I have a commercial type carpet in my upstairs apartment which I rent out. The person left at the end of the month and I now see marks in the carpet caused by an elliptical machine. Can anyone tell me how to get these out or fade them out?

Thank you.

By Carolyn from Port Chester, NY

Best Answer

There are special 'carpet rakes' to help with that but a heavy duty plastic bristle hairbrush will work too and costs a lot less money. You'll need to gently rough up the dented portion of the carpet, vacuum, and repeat. Eventually the worst of the dent will come up. I've used this technique before and it worked well for me. Hope it works for you.

Best Answer

Take a washcloth or towel and place it over the dent. Using an iron on the steam setting, passover the dented area. While it's still warm and moist, rake it with a comb or brush. Do this several times. The fibers are crimped and folded down, so they need to be "lifted".

There are lots of suggestions to try in the ThriftyFun Archives below these comments. :-)

April 30, 2007 Flag

Can anyone tell me how to get the dent imprints out of the carpet when I move a piece of heavy furniture?

Lynn from VA

Best Answer

I use that SCUNCI steam cleaner. The kind you use for cleaning. I place on the small attachment, steam the carpet, rake through it with my fingers, and no more indent. Works GREAT!!

Put an ice cube on the dent, and leave it overnight.

I think it sometimes depends on the carpet before I moved I was able to use my iron ~ I placed a dish towel over the dent and then my iron and blasted it with steam I then toke a spoon to help fluff up the fibers it looked great! When i moved to my new home...

June 16, 2012 Flag

I need to remove carpet dents from an all wool carpet. Wool is not supposed to be wet so the ice cube method won't work. I am also afraid to try the steam as it might shrink the carpet. What else can I try?

By D.C. R.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I think you have been misinformed about water and wool. It is agitation when wet that shrinks wool. Same with steam. When wet, tease the carpet up with an old dental pick or some such tool.

December 6, 2010 Flag

How do you get carpet fiber to rise as a result of indentations caused by furniture?

By James from Philadelphia, PA

I think it depends on the carpet. I am a little OCD :) so when I was moving out of my last home I went around and removed all the dents from the rugs after all the furniture was out. I tried the ice cube method but it didn't work. I used the steam iron method with a kitchen towel over the dent and then the steam from the iron I then used a spoon to fluff the carpet it worked wonders. When we moved into our present house which is filled with Berber carpet the steam iron nor the ice cube method worked. We have been here over 2 years and I am still plagued with dents from the former owners furniture.

Thank you to everyone who said that a steam iron would do the trick. It really does work! I tried the ice cube method but with no luck. Thanks again my carpet looks great.

Steam iron worked awesome but I also wet the towel layed it over the dent and then steamed it with the iron worked awesome.

April 6, 2010 Flag

How do I remove furniture indentations from carpet?

By Barbara from Boston

You can try using a brush, like a hair brush, to fluff up the matted areas. You'll have to do it a couple of times over a couple days probably. After all, the dents weren't made in a day.

Use a fork (the tines) to fluff it up. I read that somewhere a long time ago and it has always worked for me.

November 24, 2010 Flag

If you move furniture from carpets and dents are left behind, try putting an ice cube or two into the dent and let it melt and dry. If it doesn't work after the first try, do it again. I've tried it lots of times and most often, it works well.

By Dusty from Silver Spring, MD

December 6, 2010 Flag

How can I get dents in my carpet from heavy furniture being on the carpet out of the carpet?

Thanks!

By Sarah from Chalotte, NC

Answers:

Furniture Dents in Carpet

You could try lightly steaming it to fluff the fibers. Use an iron, but "do not" set it directly on the carpet! It could melt it if it is not natural fibers. It will help to clean the areas, too. (10/26/2010)

By Dedeswrkshop

Furniture Dents in Carpet

You can gently prick the dented area with a fork, getting the fibres to stand up. Another trick is to put an ice cube on the offending dent. When the cube melts and the area dries, the fibres stand up again. Good luck!
(10/28/2010)

By Pam in Beeton

November 24, 2010 Flag

I saw this last night on a TV show. I haven't tried this but it makes sense.

When you move furniture on a carpet you are usually left with an indentation on the rug. They said to put an ice cube in the indent and let it melt. The moisture will rejuvenate the fibres and restore them to like new.

By PICO from ST PAUL, ALBERTA

Answers:

Use An Ice Cube To Remove Indents In Carpet

This does work great! Let it sit a day or two, and if the nap is not up, just set a few more cubes where you need, and walla! No more marks from your furniture. (01/21/2008)

By Bonnie

Believe me, it works! Have been doing it for years and even the deepest dent comes up eventually.
(01/21/2008)

By Anita from Montclair, NJ

October 25, 2010 Flag

How can I fix a mark on the carpet from furniture?

By Joyce

Answers:

Furniture Dents in Carpet

You may not get rid of it completely, but you can lessen it by spraying it lightly with water, then steaming it with a steam iron (don't set the iron down on it, just hold it near). Then, while it is still warm and damp, use your fingers to loosen the matted down pile, and give it a good brushing.

You may have to do this more than once. I hope this helps. (05/07/2009)

By Mary T

Furniture Dents in Carpet

I have never tried this, but I remember hearing that you can put an ice cube in the dent. When it melts it helps the fibers in the carpet to fluff up again. (05/15/2009)

By towersmom

Furniture Dents in Carpet

From www.ehow.com:
Use a fork to fluff up the carpet in the dent. Don't go overboard, just a few passes to loosen up the compressed carpet tufts. (05/15/2009)

By Naturegrl77

Furniture Dents in Carpet

The person who recommended ice cubes is right on. I have done that for years. When I hired a fireman to come move some of my furniture, there were a lot of those dents left in my white carpeting. He said to just put an ice cube (or 2, depending on the diameter) on the carpet and let it melt. No need to fluff or blow dry. That's all I've ever done and it's worked great. (05/15/2009)

By CandaceK

Furniture Dents in Carpet

I moved furniture around in a room after 2 1/2 yrs and had many "dents". I read posts here and tried the iron. Wow. It worked so unbelievably well, in 30 seconds, that I signed up for this website so I can thank people and pass on this great tip. I put a thin rag on the dent and ironed, used steam, just like I'd iron a shirt. Keep it moving around on the rag for 20 seconds or so. Do not let iron touch rug directly! The dents came right out. I ran a fork over it to blend in with the rest of the carpet and complete the job. It was no big deal at all. (01/06/2010)

By cindytam

August 10, 2010 Flag

I would like to find out how to remove deep furniture dents from carpets.

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement CarpetJune 19, 2012
Lampshade
Repairing Dents in Lampshades
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 27, 2016 at 2:20:10 PM on 10.0.0.170 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.