Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Furniture Dents from Carpet

1 0EmailFollow
Furniture Dents from Carpet

Heavy furniture leaves dents in the carpet that may be difficult to remove when you rearrange the furniture. This is a guide about removing furniture dents from carpet.

Solutions: Removing Furniture Dents from Carpet

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Use An Ice Cube To Remove Indents In Carpet

If you move furniture from carpets and dents are left behind, try putting an ice cube or two into the dent and let it melt and dry. If it doesn't work after the first try, do it again. I've tried it lots of times and most often, it works well.

By Dusty from Silver Spring, MD

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Furniture Dents from Carpet.

Question: Removing Furniture Dents from Wool Carpet

I need to remove carpet dents from an all wool carpet. Wool is not supposed to be wet so the ice cube method won't work. I am also afraid to try the steam as it might shrink the carpet. What else can I try?

By D.C. R.

Best Answer

By Sheilah Link [5]06/18/2012

I think you have been misinformed about water and wool. It is agitation when wet that shrinks wool. Same with steam. When wet, tease the carpet up with an old dental pick or some such tool.

Question: Furniture Dents in Carpet

How do you get carpet fiber to rise as a result of indentations caused by furniture?

By James from Philadelphia, PA

Most Recent Answer

By elainehychko01/09/2014

Steam iron worked awesome but I also wet the towel layed it over the dent and then steamed it with the iron worked awesome.

Question: Removing Carpet Dents

I have a commercial type carpet in my upstairs apartment which I rent out. The person left at the end of the month and I now see marks in the carpet caused by an elliptical machine. Can anyone tell me how to get these out or fade them out?

Thank you.

By Carolyn from Port Chester, NY

Best Answers

By anne [10]11/07/2009

Take a washcloth or towel and place it over the dent. Using an iron on the steam setting, passover the dented area. While it's still warm and moist, rake it with a comb or brush. Do this several times. The fibers are crimped and folded down, so they need to be "lifted".

Best Answers

11/07/2009

There are special 'carpet rakes' to help with that but a heavy duty plastic bristle hairbrush will work too and costs a lot less money. You'll need to gently rough up the dented portion of the carpet, vacuum, and repeat. Eventually the worst of the dent will come up. I've used this technique before and it worked well for me. Hope it works for you.

Question: Fluffing Indentations in Carpet

How do I remove furniture indentations from carpet?

By Barbara from Boston

Most Recent Answer

By Aruna2104/17/2010

Use a fork (the tines) to fluff it up. I read that somewhere a long time ago and it has always worked for me.

Question: Repairing Carpet Dents

Can anyone tell me how to get the dent imprints out of the carpet when I move a piece of heavy furniture?

Lynn from VA

Best Answer

By (Guest Post)05/02/2007

I use that SCUNCI steam cleaner. The kind you use for cleaning. I place on the small attachment, steam the carpet, rake through it with my fingers, and no more indent. Works GREAT!!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Furniture Dents in Carpet

Does anyone know how to remove furniture dents from thick carpet?

Beth

RE: Furniture Dents in Carpet

First make sure how your carpet fiber is to be cleaned, then make sure you have a wet vac or a carpet cleaner machine. Get a wet cloth with what ever your carpet can stand, dampen not soak the area, then use the vac or cleaning machine to pull the carpet back up. I have done this every 30 mins or so until carpet looked lifted. May not lift padding but carpet should look better. (10/07/2004)

By gglo

RE: Furniture Dents in Carpet

I heard you can put ice cubes on that spot. Never tried it, but you might. (10/07/2004)

By Jayne

RE: Furniture Dents in Carpet

I've also heard of using the tines of a fork rubbing them gently back and forth over the 'dented' areas - claims to raise the fibers back in place. (10/08/2004)

By CATS719

RE: Furniture Dents in Carpet

To take the marks from furniture out of carpet, put a soft towel over the marks and use a steam iron. Let the steam penetrate the towel and the nap on the carpet will come up. Just a quick brush with your hand will make it look good as new. (10/09/2004)

By Arlene

RE: Furniture Dents in Carpet

I used a Scunci Steamer and a fork. Took awhile, but it did the trick. (04/08/2005)

By Scharfdog

Archive: Removing Carpet Dents

We have Berber carpet and have re-arranged furniture. We now have carpet dents in the carpet and cannot get them out. How do we remove carpet dents from berber carpet?

charlievon

RE: Removing Carpet Dents

Try letting an ice cube melt in the dent. This should help revive the spot. (03/07/2005)

By Genny

RE: Removing Carpet Dents

I have heard that if you put ice cubes in the indentation that this will lift the pile of your carpeting. Just leave them melt overnight. Hope it works for you. (03/07/2005)

By sewingmamma

RE: Removing Carpet Dents

If the ice cube doesn't work you can lift them with the steam from a steam iron BUT you have to be careful you don't burn the carpet. Put a cloth over the dent and hold the iron above to cloth to allow the steam to penetrate. Lift the cloth occasionally and scrape the dent with your nail to lift the pile. Repeat until the dent is reduced/repaired then leave to dry out thoroughly before walking over it. (03/07/2005)

By Jo Bodey

RE: Removing Carpet Dents

I always used the ice cube, then after it melts, you use an old fork to gently pull the carpet fibers back up -- sort of "fluff" the carpeting. (03/14/2005)

By Becki in Indiana

Archive: Furniture Dents in Carpet

I recently moved some heavy furniture in my living room. How do I get rid of the imprints in my carpet from the couch?

Marcie from Prairie du Sac, WI

RE: Furniture Dents in Carpet

I've used the ice cubes for many years, as I routinely move the furniture in our home around. Just put an ice cube into each dent, let it melt, blot up excess water, and fluff with a fork. You may have to vacuum a couple of times, but it works. (01/31/2007)

By RaineAnn

RE: Furniture Dents in Carpet

I tried the ice cubes but it wasn't successful. I then used a wire brush and a fork to lift the carpet. Then a hair dryer and a fork which was more successful, then vacuumed over it. Hasn't cleared it completely but looks a lot better. I think this is just where the under-lay has been flattened. (02/22/2007)

By Tom

RE: Furniture Dents in Carpet

The iron worked perfectly. Set the iron to "cotton", then put a t-shirt over the dents and steamed a couple of times. Each dent only took about 30 seconds to fix. (03/15/2008)

By Stan

RE: Furniture Dents in Carpet

Place a very damp dish or wash cloth in the microwave. Heat it as hot as you can. Get a cup or small bowl. Place the cloth in the bowl and invert the cup over the indentation and let stand for a few minutes. Remove the bowl and brush with an old tooth brush. (02/03/2009)

By Mary C.

Archive: Removing Carpet Dents

I was moving furniture, now have carpet dents. I need to remove them, having new furniture delivered in an hour. The carpet is Berber.

Jodi from KY

RE: Removing Carpet Dents

I just got Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook and it says to place ice cubes where the pile is crushed and the fibers will swell as they absorb the water. Follow up by blotting the area with a dry towel and vacuum to straighten the fibers. (12/15/2006)

By mef1957

RE: Removing Carpet Dents

The ice cube method works well for removing furniture dents, but make sure that the water doesn't damage the carpet, carpet backing, or subfloor.

If you use an iron, make sure to put it on "steam" setting and don't place it directly on the carpet or it will burn the fibers. Use a brush to pull the fibers and blend them in with the rest of the carpet. (10/02/2008)

By LV_JENN

RE: Removing Carpet Dents

Let me tell you, Mr. Skeptical (me) tried the steam/towel method. I used it on some dents that were from furniture that hasn't moved in 4 yrs. It worked great. (03/29/2009)

By Cntrymscdj

Archive: Removing Carpet Dents

I would like to find out how to remove deep furniture dents from carpets.

Thank you.

RE: Removing Carpet Dents

There are special "carpet rakes" to help with that, but a heavy duty plastic bristle hairbrush will work too and costs a lot less money. You'll need to gently rough up the dented portion of the carpet, vacuum, and repeat rough up and vacuuming (maybe a few times) and eventually the worst of the dent will come up. I've used this technique before and it worked well for me. Hope it works for you. (11/07/2009)

By Deeli

RE: Removing Carpet Dents

Take a washcloth or towel and use an iron on the steam setting. While it's still warm and moist, rake it with a comb or brush. Do this several times. The fibers are crimped/folded down and need to be "lifted". (11/07/2009)

By ahastings7878

RE: Removing Carpet Dents

Put an ice cube in the dent and leave it till it melts. It will soften the dent and then run over with a brush. (11/07/2009)

By PICO

RE: Removing Carpet Dents

A regular dinner fork works great, quick and easy and no wet! Just gently scrape the dent and it loosens the fibers. (12/07/2009)

By tekc96