Removing Furniture Dents from Carpet

Heavy furniture leaves dents in the carpet that may be difficult to remove when you rearrange the furniture. This is a guide about removing furniture dents from carpet.

Furniture Dents from Carpet
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have a commercial type carpet in my upstairs apartment which I rent out. The person left at the end of the month and I now see marks in the carpet caused by an elliptical machine. Can anyone tell me how to get these out or fade them out?

Thank you.

By Carolyn from Port Chester, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

There are special 'carpet rakes' to help with that but a heavy duty plastic bristle hairbrush will work too and costs a lot less money. You'll need to gently rough up the dented portion of the carpet, vacuum, and repeat. Eventually the worst of the dent will come up. I've used this technique before and it worked well for me. Hope it works for you.

Best Answer

Take a washcloth or towel and place it over the dent. Using an iron on the steam setting, passover the dented area. While it's still warm and moist, rake it with a comb or brush. Do this several times. The fibers are crimped and folded down, so they need to be "lifted".

Read More Answers...

Can anyone tell me how to get the dent imprints out of the carpet when I move a piece of heavy furniture?

Lynn from VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I use that SCUNCI steam cleaner. The kind you use for cleaning. I place on the small attachment, steam the carpet, rake through it with my fingers, and no more indent. Works GREAT!!

Read More Answers...

I need to remove carpet dents from an all wool carpet. Wool is not supposed to be wet so the ice cube method won't work. I am also afraid to try the steam as it might shrink the carpet. What else can I try?

By D.C. R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I think you have been misinformed about water and wool. It is agitation when wet that shrinks wool. Same with steam. When wet, tease the carpet up with an old dental pick or some such tool.

How do you get carpet fiber to rise as a result of indentations caused by furniture?

By James from Philadelphia, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Steam iron worked awesome but I also wet the towel layed it over the dent and then steamed it with the iron worked awesome.

Read More Answers...

How do I remove furniture indentations from carpet?

By Barbara from Boston

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use a fork (the tines) to fluff it up. I read that somewhere a long time ago and it has always worked for me.

Read More Answers...

If you move furniture from carpets and dents are left behind, try putting an ice cube or two into the dent and let it melt and dry. If it doesn't work after the first try, do it again. I've tried it lots of times and most often, it works well.

By Dusty from Silver Spring, MD

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I get dents in my carpet from heavy furniture being on the carpet out of the carpet?

Thanks!

By Sarah from Chalotte, NC

Furniture Dents in Carpet

You could try lightly steaming it to fluff the fibers. Use an iron, but "do not" set it directly on the carpet! It could melt it if it is not natural fibers. It will help to clean the areas, too. (10/26/2010)

By Dedeswrkshop

Furniture Dents in Carpet

You can gently prick the dented area with a fork, getting the fibres to stand up. Another trick is to put an ice cube on the offending dent. When the cube melts and the area dries, the fibres stand up again. Good luck!
(10/28/2010)

By Pam in Beeton

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I saw this last night on a TV show. I haven't tried this but it makes sense.

When you move furniture on a carpet you are usually left with an indentation on the rug. They said to put an ice cube in the indent and let it melt. The moisture will rejuvenate the fibres and restore them to like new.

By PICO from ST PAUL, ALBERTA

Use An Ice Cube To Remove Indents In Carpet

This does work great! Let it sit a day or two, and if the nap is not up, just set a few more cubes where you need, and walla! No more marks from your furniture. (01/21/2008)

By Bonnie

Believe me, it works! Have been doing it for years and even the deepest dent comes up eventually.
(01/21/2008)

By Anita from Montclair, NJ

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I fix a mark on the carpet from furniture?

By Joyce

Furniture Dents in Carpet

You may not get rid of it completely, but you can lessen it by spraying it lightly with water, then steaming it with a steam iron (don't set the iron down on it, just hold it near). Then, while it is still warm and damp, use your fingers to loosen the matted down pile, and give it a good brushing.

You may have to do this more than once. I hope this helps. (05/07/2009)

By Mary T

Furniture Dents in Carpet

I have never tried this, but I remember hearing that you can put an ice cube in the dent. When it melts it helps the fibers in the carpet to fluff up again. (05/15/2009)

By towersmom

Furniture Dents in Carpet

From www.ehow.com:
Use a fork to fluff up the carpet in the dent. Don't go overboard, just a few passes to loosen up the compressed carpet tufts. (05/15/2009)

By Naturegrl77

Furniture Dents in Carpet

The person who recommended ice cubes is right on. I have done that for years. When I hired a fireman to come move some of my furniture, there were a lot of those dents left in my white carpeting. He said to just put an ice cube (or 2, depending on the diameter) on the carpet and let it melt. No need to fluff or blow dry. That's all I've ever done and it's worked great. (05/15/2009)

By CandaceK

Furniture Dents in Carpet

I moved furniture around in a room after 2 1/2 yrs and had many "dents". I read posts here and tried the iron. Wow. It worked so unbelievably well, in 30 seconds, that I signed up for this website so I can thank people and pass on this great tip. I put a thin rag on the dent and ironed, used steam, just like I'd iron a shirt. Keep it moving around on the rag for 20 seconds or so. Do not let iron touch rug directly! The dents came right out. I ran a fork over it to blend in with the rest of the carpet and complete the job. It was no big deal at all. (01/06/2010)

By cindytam

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would like to find out how to remove deep furniture dents from carpets.

Thank you.

Removing Carpet Dents

There are special "carpet rakes" to help with that, but a heavy duty plastic bristle hairbrush will work too and costs a lot less money. You'll need to gently rough up the dented portion of the carpet, vacuum, and repeat rough up and vacuuming (maybe a few times) and eventually the worst of the dent will come up. I've used this technique before and it worked well for me. Hope it works for you. (11/07/2009)

By Deeli

Removing Carpet Dents

Take a washcloth or towel and use an iron on the steam setting. While it's still warm and moist, rake it with a comb or brush. Do this several times. The fibers are crimped/folded down and need to be "lifted". (11/07/2009)

By ahastings7878

Removing Carpet Dents

Put an ice cube in the dent and leave it till it melts. It will soften the dent and then run over with a brush. (11/07/2009)

By PICO

Removing Carpet Dents

A regular dinner fork works great, quick and easy and no wet! Just gently scrape the dent and it loosens the fibers. (12/07/2009)

By tekc96

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Removing Carpet Dents. I was moving furniture, now have carpet dents. I need to remove them, having new furniture delivered in an hour. The carpet is berber.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I recently moved some heavy furniture in my living room. How do I get rid of the imprints in my carpet from the couch?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have Berber carpet and have re-arranged furniture. We now have carpet dents in the carpet and cannot get them out.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know how to remove furniture dents from thick carpet?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Home Improvement CarpetJune 19, 2012
Lampshade
Repairing Dents in Lampshades
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 3, 2016 at 12:55:49 PM on 10.0.1.57 in 654 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.