Removing Hair Spray From Furniture

I am having trouble with getting hair spray off my daughter's dresser. I don't have a clue to what to clean it with. It's on the mirror as well. Hope some of you good readers can help me clean up the build up.

Thanks for your help.

Teresa from VA

Answers:

Removing Hair Spray From Furniture

Without knowing what the dresser is made of I'd recommend plain hot water and a washcloth. As for the mirror, you can use rubbing alcohol, ammonia, whatever. If that fails, you can always use a razor to scrape it. (12/29/2004)

By homeschoolin_mum

Removing Hair Spray From Furniture

Use alcohol in a spray bottle to get hair spray off any surfaces that can be wet. (12/30/2004)

By Shirley B.

Removing Hair Spray From Furniture

I used to be a hair dresser a long time ago, and I learned to get rid of build up hair spray in hair to use baking soda. So maybe it will work on the dresser. Make a thin paste of baking soda and warm water, cover the area and let it sit a minute. Then wipe it away you may have to do this a few times depending on how bad the build up is, and after you remove the hair spray use a good furniture polish to bring back the shine. Baking soda will take out all of the hair spray in the hair so you could try this. Good luck. (12/31/2004)

Removing Hair Spray From Furniture

I also had this problem with the doorknobs and the floor in my bathroom, where I spray my hair. I can't remember if I used rubbing alcohol or the foam bathroom cleaner in a can. I think either one of those, will work. It's worth a try.
(12/31/2004)

By FrugalFriend

Removing Hair Spray From Furniture

I tried baking soda. It worked somewhat, but was extremely labor intensive. I had a can of Pledge furniture polish to use after I removed the hair spray. By accident I sprayed Pledge on an area where there was hair spray and noticed that it removed most of the hair spray. Throw out the baking soda solution. I then used Pledge on the rest of the job and it worked like a charm and didn't have to worry about furniture finish.

Here's how I did it. I got an old toothbrush sprayed Pledge on about a 2x2 area let it soak into the hair spray about 30 sec. then used toothbrush to loosen the hair spray wiped off with a paper towel and completed the job is no time at all. It actually worked like magic. Hope this helps you out.

The dresser was cherry wood and the hair spray had been caked on for years. (10/31/2007)

By Al

Can of Aerosol Spray
Removing Hair Spray from Furniture
Boxer on White Microfiber Couch
Removing Pet Hair from Microfiber
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Hair Spray Nozzle
Unclogging Hair Spray Nozzle
🎄