Removing Hairspray Build Up on Walls

Category Walls
Unfortunately while using hair spray to style your hair, the spray can get on walls and other surfaces. This is a guide about removing hairspray build up on walls.

How do you remove hairspray that's on walls?

By Carol from Turlock, CA

Answers

Best Answer

I like to use a spray-on bathroom cleaner (like Dow's Scrubbing Bubbles or the dollar store equivalent). A second option is to put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle then spray & wipe, but the bathroom cleaner works wonders & will clean practically anything!

I have noticed lately that on my bathroom walls from using the pump hairspray I have little hairspray drops now on my walls. Does anyone have a rememdy to take it off without removing the paint? Hope you can help.

Mandi from PA

Answers

Having cleaned the beauty shop that my mom used to manage, I learned very quickly that using shampoo diluted in warm water does the best. It is also the best way to clean combs and brushes with hairspray build up.

By Cate (Guest Post)

I have a tiny bathroom; guests using hairspray cannot avoid spraying the walls. I just use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge kept in the room...wet it, wipe...comes right off.

Good old rubbing alcohol works to get hairspray off walls, mirrors and the build up from hairbrushes. But for painted walls check in a hidden area first, if you rub hard it might remove the paint.

By Ricki (Guest Post)

Cheap shaving cream will remove stubborn hairspray off walls, mirrors, sinks, floors, etc. Works every time. One cheap can lasts!!

By (Guest Post)

Magic Eraser is wonderful for some things but for this problem it didn't budge off of my walls.

Fantastic worked for me a few weeks ago on a bathroom mirror. I'm sure it would work on walls too.

By M. Johnson (Guest Post)

Do not use hairspray on painted walls, it will take the paint off.

By Linda (Guest Post)

The shaving cream really works to take hairspray marks off bathroom walls - thank you for the tip, curious how you ever came up with this quick fix.

By (Guest Post)

I tried shaving cream and could not believe my eyes.....It actually worked.

Thanks

Anonymous

Who would of thunk it? I have used bleach soft scrub and everything I could think of - not all at once.

One light scrubbing with my husbands shaving cream and it's smooth as new. Thank you!!!

Anonymous

I, too, tried shaving cream...HOLY CRAP!!! It's AMAZING and works fast!

Thanks!!!

What kind of shaving cream

I have a husband that uses a lot of hairspray on his "hair". So I have a ton of build up on the floor and wall and door in his bathroom. I just can't stand it. Is there a sure fire way to get this stuff gone?

Answers

Use a spray bottle of vinegar and water and wipe down the walls.Use vinegar and water with some dish soap for the floors. Let the water sit on floors for 10 minutes then mop up.

Anonymous

I use a nylon scrubber and ammonia or vinegar

I usually clean the area first and let it dry. Afterwards, I mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with 4 cups of water. I then clean the sticky mess with this mixture.

If you have a major build up of hair spray you will need to pour the mixture on the surface and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. This will dissolve the hair spray.

Fill a spray bottle with a mixture of 1/3 shampoo to 2/3 water and shake. Spray the shampoo mixture on the walls, doors, floors, wherever. Let sit for a minute or two. Using a sponge, scrub the shampoo mixture off.

Comet spray

Make a paste of baking soda and water. Scrub lightly with a damp cloth dipped in the baking soda paste. If you rub to hard it can damage the texture on some ceilings. If you see that starting to happen, add a bit more water to loosen the psste.The grain of the soda cuts thru the build up..you can also make a solution of about 3 parts water, to 1 part baking soda, to rinse hairspray build up out of your hair.

Anybody have any suggestions on getting hairspray residue off the walls in the bathroom.

Richelle from Orem, UT

Answers:

Removing Hairspray Build Up on Walls

Baking soda in water works great. (09/16/2007)

By mz thang

Removing Hairspray Build Up on Walls

The fabric softener and water have worked. I have been battling this for a year. Alcohol removed the paint. Nothing else worked. We had to repaint the wall. Thanks so much for the suggestion. (01/07/2008)

By guest

Removing Hairspray Build Up on Walls

This truly works.
My guess is you've got mirrors hanging in front of those areas, and guests are spritzing there instead of in the bathroom. To remove the sticky stuff without harming the wood's finish, dampen a terry or microfiber cloth with some isopropyl alcohol (70 percent) and rub over the surface. Wipe with a dampened cloth, then dry with a clean, absorbent cloth. If the area still feels tacky, sponge it down with hot water mixed with a few drops of liquid dish soap. Wipe and dry. Waxing or polishing the woodwork will make it easier to clean the next time. (02/10/2008)

By phyllis m

Removing Hairspray Build Up on Walls

Thanks SweetCali40. That's the best tip I have tried yet, and I'm trying to get years of build up off our floors. I have recently married and my husband although a clean person did not do windows and floors. So for years there has been layer over layer of hairspray gathering on the floors in our bathrooms. I have tried countless things and always ended up with sticky floors, but not much else. With a little elbow grease and your recipe of 1 part fabric softener, and 2 parts water I succeeded.

I not only have lifted most of the film, but also have a most wonderful smelling bathroom. Although I realize I will have to apply this a second time to lift the rest of the layers I am extremely pleased with the results so far. The floor looks much cleaner already. Many thanks to you. (02/23/2008)

By Dancer

Does anyone know how to get hairspray off your bathroom wall without stripping the paint off too? I never realized how bad my wall looks from me using hair spray to get my hair ready in the mornings!

Mandi from Erie

Answers:

Removing Hairspray Build Up on Walls

Removing Hairspray Residue. You can use this formula to remove hair spray residue from any hard surface -- vanities, tile, floors, walls, etc. Mix a solution of 1/3 liquid fabric softener and 2/3 water in a spray bottle. Spray on the surface to be cleaned, and wipe. Not only does it remove hair spray, it also acts as a dust repellent and shines vanities beautifully.

http://www.queenofclean.com/tips/bath.html

By Laurie

Removing Hairspray Build Up on Walls

Spray vinegar on the wall and wipe off. tough areas may need to be scraped with an old credit card or something like it but vinegar works, is cheap, safe and the smell evaporates.

By tara

Removing Hairspray Build Up on Walls

Be careful with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on color painted walls. I tried this and it left white streaks on my dark red wall. Oops! Works great on white walls though. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser also works wonders on taking rub marks, door dings, etc off my white car.

By Michele

Removing Hairspray Build Up on Walls

I tried using Mr. Clean Eraser and it didn't do anything. Going to try shampoo and water, if this doesn't work someone posted to try alcohol. I will try anything at this point without having to paint my walls.
Thanks.

By Effie

Removing Hairspray Build Up on Walls

I tried the rubbing alcohol. It didn't remove the hairspray, but it did remove paint!

By Guest

Removing Hairspray Build Up on Walls

The BEST and easiest way to remove hairspray from anything is to make a paste of nothing but water & baking soda. make it pretty thick and then rub it in. Let it set a minute or two then wash off. This works on walls, sinks, mirrors, even your barrettes, curling irons/brushes, etc.
If you have a lot of build-up on your hair, get a small cup (like a dixie cup or something), pour in double the amount of shampoo you normally use, then mix in baking soda...make it like 2 parts shampoo and one part baking soda. spread evenly on your hair. Let it set a good while. My hair is long & thick and it had a lot of build-up and it took 45 minutes. It just depends on how long/thick/thin your hair is and the amount of build up you have. After that, rinse VERY GOOD...then, wash again as normal and then condition it . You will see a HUGE difference. It will not effect perms/haircolor or anything. Baking soda just dissolves the hairspray.

Our salons around here do this 'hair-treatment' and charge high prices for it. I promise---this really works. I have never met one person that this has not worked on. Hope this helps.

By Jenny

WARNING: Mr Clean Magic Erasers

Be careful using Mr Clean Magic Erasers in your home. If you do use it, wear disposable gloves and wash the area you rubbed with the pad.
These pads contain formaldehyde, a known toxic carcenogin.

By Brian

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.