Removing Odor from a Leather Jacket

I am trying to get the terrible chemical smell from my new leather jacket. I have it in a large sealed garbage bag with baking soda in the bottom. Did anyone ever have this solution work? If this doesn't work, did anyone ever really put their leather jacket in a clothes dryer with a fabric softener sheet? I don't want to ruin my jacket by putting it in the dryer. I realize you are supposed to use low heat. Still, I've never heard of doing this. I really like my jacket but I can't wear it until I get the disgusting chemical smell out.

Birdie from MI

Removing Odor From Leather Jacket

Yes, it should work. I have done that before with leather, pvc, and my husband's motorcycle jacket he got from a friend ( it reeked of smoke). I usually just use half a box of the baking soda at first, and leave it in the sealed bag for a few days, making sure to shake the bag a few times a day. Then after the few days go by I take it outside and open the bag up and shake and beat the garment (some times vacuum, as well, with the attachment tools of course) until the baking soda is all/mostly gone. Then I try and detect if the smell is still noticeable on the garment. If it is then I just toss it back into the bag with what's left in the box of baking soda I used before. I let it sit for a few more days. It usually gets the job done. (02/01/2009)

By Verybella

Removing Odor From Leather Jacket

I just recently sprayed the lining of a jacket with Lysol spray. Lysol kills germs that cause odors, so I thought that would work, and it did wonderfully! I also hung it outside for a few hours, and it smells nice and fresh now! (02/01/2009)

By Carolb

Removing Odor from a Leather Jacket

Hang it outside. Many of these wares come from across the ocean. They are crated with chemicals similar to moth balls and we find that offensive. Sometimes many washings take place before the smell diminishes. Wearing leather clothing gives me a migraine. The chemical sensitivity has long arms to disrupt lives. (02/03/2009)

By T and T Grandma

Removing Odor from a Leather Jacket
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Leather Jacket
Cleaning Body Oil Stains on Leather Jacket
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather