Removing Rust From Cast Iron

How can I remove rust from cast iron skillet. My mom used to use sauerkraut, ever heard of such a thing?

Jeanine from NM

Answers:

Removing Rust from an Iron Skillet

When mine would get rust I scrubbed it with dish soap and an S.O.S. Pad. Then rinsed it well. My mom would always put it on a HOT stove burner to dry. When it gets good and dry, it won't rust. At least ours didn't. Good luck. (wear mitts when handling the hot pan please) (11/08/2006)

By Ariela

Removing Rust from an Iron Skillet

I found a rusty, cast-iron skillet in the free box at a garage sale. I came home and scrubbed it with a brillo pad, rinsed it, dried it, and rubbed plain vegetable oil all over it, then wiped it clean with a paper towel. I heated it in the oven, when it cooled down, I oiled and wiped it again. I have had it for three years now and it has never rusted. (11/08/2006)

By Persnickety Paula

Removing Rust from an Iron Skillet

I even put my iron skillets in the dishwasher, which is a BIG no-no, and they are all right after I spray them with no-stick and heat them up. If the skillet is really bad, wash well, smear with vegetable oil or a solid shortening, and bake in an oven for a couple of hours on a low heat. I always use a no-stick spray for just about everything I cook and have very few problems. (11/08/2006)

By Margie

Removing Rust from an Iron Skillet

To clean the rust off either some vinegar and a steel pad or some lemon juice and salt. Once the rust is gone, you can heat and rub down with olive oil or try rubbing the skillet with a cut potato. This helps to prevent further rusting. If rust starts reappearing, rub down with the potato again. It does work but it's not a permanent fix, you need to redo periodically.

A really good product that works very well is lanolin. Over here, we have a product called lanogard that is excellent. It prevents rust on barbecue burners, motor mower exhausts and is great on cast iron. It makes it go almost black. I collect vintage mowers. Over 12 months, no rust on the mower exhaust even though it is subject to extreme heat. Apparently the lanolin penetrates deep into the pores of the steel, keeping rust out. CRC makes a lanolin based product called lanocote. I haven't used that though. The lanogard is a non solvent based so eco friendly. (11/09/2006)

By brent nz

Removing Rust from an Iron Skillet

I have to admit that I do love my cast iron skillets. when my grandmother gave me some, she told me to wash it real good just with hot water. Wipe off the excess water then put some grease on the bottom and sides and heat in the oven on 350 degrees F for about an hour, which will help season it (11/14/2006)

By Brenda from Texas

Removing Rust from an Iron Skillet
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Unseasoned Dutch Oven
Removing Rust from Cast Iron
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
🎄
🍂