Removing Tree Sap From Cast Iron Skillet

Category Dishes
Cast iron needs to be cleaned with care to avoid damaging the non-stick patina. This is a guide about removing pine sap from a cast iron skillet.

How it got there is another story, but my cast iron skillet is covered (the entire bottom and out one side) with pine sap. The weather is not yet warm enough outside for the sun to soften it. What would be the best way to tackle this situation? Any help is appreciated.

By BigDan

Answers

Best Answer

Please don't put your cast iron skillet into a fire or fireplace! The rapid temperature change can warp or crack it - I've seen it happen. I would try the oil-based suggestions from the main post, or if those fail, run it through a self-clean cycle in your oven.

The gradual temperature changes are easier on the iron. I've cleaned over 100 skillets this way, with no damage.

Best Answer

Spread and gently rub dry dirt over the sap. Be sure to cover all of the sap. Let set a few minutes. Shake excess dirt off and wash in soap (I use Dawn) and water. Dry thoroughly. This also works well for sap on skin, hair etc.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Mayonnaise dissolve sap. Gets it off hands, should get it off cast iron.

My sister-in-law cleans her cast iron skillet by putting it in her fireplace. The fire will burn off grease, and it may take care of the pine sap. So if you can place it in a fire, that may work.