Removing Tree Sap

Tree sap can get on anything from clothing to your car. This is a page about removing tree sap.

Spring and late summer are the prime seasons for sticky, gooey, tree sap. The stuff seems to ooze onto everything with ease. Getting it off, however, can be a whole different matter. Here are some sure fire methods for removing tree sap from just about anything.

A pine cone dripping tree sap.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

My sister says for pine sap removal from her car, and other items in her yard she uses hand sanitizing gel. It works wonderfully.

By Terri H. from NV

How do you remove pine tree sap from glass?

Helen Tobey from Michigan

Answers

Best Answer

Try acetone. Acetone is a universal solvent. In college chemistry lab we used it to clean glassware that had all kinds of funky stuff in it and it would dissolve everything and leave the glass sparkling clean.

It was also used to clean equipment between experiments.

Best Answer

The best thing to use would be pine sap's natural solvent: turpentine (which is derived from the pine tree.)

Reference: Popular Mechanics

By Cathy (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Goo Gone Automotive Spray Gel is the best thing for any surface and or clothing that has tree sap.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I tried all the suggestions for tree sap, WD40 to alcohol. Rubbing alcohol was decent, rest, not really. Then I tried well everything else under the sink. Here's 2 cleaners not mentioned that work really well. Fantastic dissolves it, only light rubbing required. Ammonia really dissolves it, keep it moist and rub lightly. A spray of Fantastic added some subs, keeping it from running off or drying too quick. 20 mins later, no trace of tree sap and no damage. :)

Best Answer

Dab a bit of butter or soft margarine on the sap. Wait a minute or two, then rub it off with a paper towel.

This tip was given to me from a auto body repair shop. So simple...and it works. I've tried it on car and boat glass, car and boat paint and even my fingers!

How do I remove pine tree sap from a satellite dish?

Answers

Best Answer

Goo-gone is a great product for this job.

Best Answer

Believe it or not fingernail polish remover is excellent for removing tree sap. You can apply this to the tree sap on the satellite dish and use a cotton ball to rub it off.

Best Answer

You can also use a hand sanitizer to get the sap off.

How do you remove evergreen tree sap stains from a granite grave stone? My parents' stone is under a pine tree, and the sap has turned part of the stone black.

By Charles Koelsch from Greenville, SC

Answers

Best Answer

Granite is a porous stone. I would contact a monument company and have them clean it and see if there's something they can seal it with.

Best Answer

Try GooGone. I don't know what it will do to the granite, but it will remove the sap.

How can I remove a large amount of sap from my RV awning? It is approximately 8' X 8".

By Steve

At the end of April I went hiking and got what I thought were splinters from some trees that I had grabbed onto with my arm bent. So it's right in the crease of my arm, opposite my elbow. Now it's July and what I now realize is that it is tree sap not splinters oozing out slowly. It burns. What do I do? Is there a way to soak out the sap?

By Sarah W.

Answers

Sarah, I don't think it's tree sap. It sounds like an infection. You should go to the doctor right away and see if you need an antibiotic. If you don't want to go to the doctor, then use some peroxide and antibiotic ointment on it. I do recommend the doctor, though. It's been a long time and you don't want to take any chances of the infection getting into your bloodstream. Good luck.

Jen

I think you should go to a doctor. Anything minor you got on your arm in April -- splinters or sap -- would be gone by now. This is nothing like I have ever heard of.

Your arm looks infected. It has been long enough that it could be a very serious infection.

You need to see a doctor right away.

How can I clean pine sap from my polycarbonate deck roof please?

Answers

I read mayonnaise would take it off.

We have a lovely swing set in the backyard for our grandchildren. The swings and the chains that you hold to swing are covered with either tree sap or drippings from the trees above. It's black and sticky. How would you suggest we clean this?

Answers

Have you tried WD 40 or Goop?

Nail polish remover would work. Then rinse with baking soda and water.

How do I remove pine tree sap on the overhead screens on my lanai? The pine tree always drips sap and I can't remove the pine tree.

Answers

Hi, Em. Sap is insidious, isn't it. Google has some good answers and here's one that won't cost a lot: www.gardeningknowhow.com/.../how-to-remove-tree-sap.htm. Going forward, however, so that you don't have to worry about sap removal on a regular basis, could you protect your screens with cheap roll ends of wallpaper or something similar? Simply remove the paper or cheap fabric periodically then replace it without having to worry about cleaning / scouring?

Anonymous

Yes,yes,yes I am happy to say. Our deck chairs are metal frames with strong poly mesh seats and backs. I thought today I would attempt to find a solution to the pine gum from nearby hanging trees. First I tried rubbing alcohol ready to go to Goo Gone if necessary. Eureka...with alcohol, the gum just dissolved making it no more than just rubbing it off. Easy really. Hope this helps others.

I have tree sap (from the yellow sticky buds off trees) that fall onto my outdoor vinyl I have on my deck. I cannot remove the yellow stickiness. I tried Goof Off, but that also took the colour out of my vinyl too. Please if anyone has a solution I would very much appreciate your response.

By Brenda B.

Answers

Have you tried wd-40?

I have a composite picnic table and I used the regular unscented Cutex nail polish remover. I wet the cloth and just a few rubs and the sap was gone, it did not take the color out at all. Ran out of Cutex and purchased a different brand, but had to use a lot more and rub harder as well. I will try it on my composite deck and the old vinyl one next. I will post the results. Dave Gulash

I have multiple areas with sap on a few window screens, will nail polish remover work?

By Lady Lucy from NY

Answers

To remove sap with nail polish remover effectively you'd want to use a nail polish remover with acetone because the non-acetone won't even cut through price tag adhesive in my experience. You should test a very small area of the screen to see if the nail polish remover will remove the sap without melting the synthetic material the mesh is woven from-acetone can 'melt' plastics.

I think you'd have safer and better results using one of the automotive sap removing products. The car care products for removing sap from car finishes, windscreens, and headlamps (all car parts or finishes being made with synthetic polymers nowadays) will remove the sap easily without 'melting' your screen mesh.

I would use rubbing alcohol.

How do I get sap off a pair of hiking pants made of 100% nylon material? There is alot, as I sat in it!

Pattie

Answers

I would *try* rubbing alcohol .. it should break down the sap and is safe to use on nylon!

Good Luck!
Rebekah

I have found that if I wash my sappy clothes in really hot water with laundry detergent, they come out clean.

How do you get tree sap out of the interior of your vehicle roof lining (ceiling) which is fabric?

I have a nasty tree that drops sap all the time. It gets on my cloth furniture, my glass table, and the tile on my patio. I don't know how to get it up. Some of it is dried, but ugly. Suggestions?

A turkey feather fan was stored in a red cedar (Juniperus virgiana) feather box for several months. When it was taken out there was tree resin, sap, on the tips of the feathers. What is the best way to remove the resin?

By G. C. G. from Houston, TX

How do I remove lime tree sap from a caravan Perspex skylight window?

By Mike R

I have a brand new silk bedspread and my dog jumped on it with pine pitch on his feet. How do I remove it without spoiling the fabric?

By Diane L from Ormond Beach, FL

How to get tree sap out of leather goods?

By Barbara

How can I remove tree sap or resin from a blanket that was spread out on the ground? I saw all the postings for small areas but can I use the hand sanitizer in the washing machine? It's going to be a big job to get it all out! Thanks!

Noor from Garland, TX

Answers

By (Guest Post)

I had pine sap drip into my hair. I used a paper towel with Pine Sol on it and the sap came right out. Maybe this will work on your blanket.

How do I remove tree sap from pelts without damaging the fur?

By Carmen G

One tile stuck to another floor tile. Plant was sitting on extra tile

By C Crawford

Pine pitch has left white spots on the new asphalt coating on the driveway.

By Ellen S.

How do I remove sap from blue stone?

By Sarah

How do I remove tree say from my RV and walls?

By Genevieve

How can I remove cottonwood sap from leather boat seats?

By Kelly

How do I remove pine sap from an aluminum railing?

By Ligita

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJune 23, 2012
🎃
🍂