Removing Tree Sap

Tree sap can get on anything from clothing to your car. This is a guide about removing tree sap.

Spring and late summer are the prime seasons for sticky, gooey, tree sap. The stuff seems to ooze onto everything with ease. Getting it off, however, can be a whole different matter. Here are some sure fire methods for removing tree sap from just about anything.

Let the Agent Do the Work

The most efficient and effective way to remove sap from any surface is to allow the removal agents to do the work. In the case of alcohols, that means letting them dissolve the sap, and in the case of oils, letting them soften the sap before rubbing the remainder of it off.

To avoid damaging the surface covered in sap, AWAYS test removal agents on an inconspicuous area first. Only when that area has been treated successfully should you proceed to a larger area. Always wear gloves and use precautions when using any type of chemical.

How To Remove Sap From Vehicles

Note: When removing sap from a vehicle, the goal is to use the least amount of pressure possible to reduce the risk of scratching the paint. After the sap is removed, treated areas should always be buffed with a high quality polish or re-waxed in order to clean up any marks created during removal. As always, test the method in an inconspicuous place before applying to a broader area.

How To Remove Sap From Wood (including decks and wooden patio furniture)

Try applying non-diluted Murphy's Oil Soap with a mop (large area) or pour directly onto the affected surface. Allow the soap to sit for 15 minutes before scrubbing it clean with a soft brush. Rinse and allow to dry. Supposedly, this method works best on sealed wood.

How To Remove Sap From Clothes (including fleece, polyester, and cotton)

Apply a liberal amount of hand sanitizer to the area, and gently work it into the fabric. For really stubborn spots, brush the area with a soft bristled toothbrush. Rinse and dry.

How To Remove Sap From Leather

Rub creamy peanut butter into the leather. The oil conditions the leather while softening the tree sap. Simply rinse with warm soapy water and allow to dry.

How To Remove Sap From Skin

Oil-based Agents: Alcohol Agents*: *Caution: these can cause skin irritations with some people

Apply to the skin with a soft damp cloth, then rinse with warm, soapy water.

How To Remove Sap From Hair (including pet hair and paws)

Hair is one of the hardest things to remove tree sap from, but the task can be made somewhat easier if the sap is still soft. Short of getting yourself a new haircut, try the following:

Creamy peanut better (the oilier the better). Apply it liberally to the hair and soften it using a hair dryer on the lowest setting (careful to avoid burning the skin). Let the softened peanut butter sit for a few minutes before combing it through the hair with a large-toothed comb. Shampoo and rinse with warm water. If you can't stand peanut butter, substitute mayonnaise.

My sister says for pine sap removal from her car, and other items in her yard she uses hand sanitizing gel. It works wonderfully.

By Terri H. from NV

This is a guide about cleaning tree sap on a dog. When removing tree sap from your dog's fur you want to use products and methods that are safe for your pet.

Woman giving a white dog a bath

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Trees overhanging your driveway, sidewalk, or patio can drip sap on to the concrete surface leaving you with a sticky mess to clean up. This is a guide about removing sap from concrete.

pressure washing concrete

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If your tent is under a tree for a while, it may get some tree sap on it. Isopropyl alcohol, preferably 99% or 91%, can be very useful for removing tree sap from things. This is a guide about removing tree sap from a tent.

A tent set up below tall cedar trees.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning tree sap from glass. Removing tree sap from windows and car windshields can be a recurring job.

Hand squeegying cleaner from a glass window by a tree

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing tree sap from a tombstone. Tree sap can often be fairly easily removed from many surfaces, using a variety of products that act as solvents.

Old cemetery with tombstones and trees

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning tree sap from hair. Sticky tree sap seems like it might be impossible to clean out of your hair. It is in fact easy if you use the right products.

Tree sap running down the bark of a tree

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning tree sap from carpet. Sticky tree sap is easily tracked into the house and then left on your carpet.

Tree Sap

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do you remove pine tree sap from glass?

Helen Tobey from Michigan

Answers

Best Answer

Try acetone. Acetone is a universal solvent. In college chemistry lab we used it to clean glassware that had all kinds of funky stuff in it and it would dissolve everything and leave the glass sparkling clean. It was also used to clean equipment between experiments.

Best Answer

The best thing to use would be pine sap's natural solvent: turpentine (which is derived from the pine tree.)

Reference: Popular Mechanics

Best Answer

Goo Gone Automotive Spray Gel is the best thing for any surface and or clothing that has tree sap.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I tried all the suggestions for tree sap, WD40 to alcohol. Rubbing alcohol was decent, rest, not really. Then I tried well everything else under the sink. Here's 2 cleaners not mentioned that work really well. Fantastic dissolves it, only light rubbing required. Ammonia really dissolves it, keep it moist and rub lightly. A spray of Fantastic added some subs, keeping it from running off or drying too quick. 20 mins later, no trace of tree sap and no damage. :)

Best Answer

Dab a bit of butter or soft margarine on the sap. Wait a minute or two, then rub it off with a paper towel. This tip was given to me from a auto body repair shop. So simple...and it works. I've tried it on car and boat glass, car and boat paint and even my fingers!

How do you remove evergreen tree sap stains from a granite grave stone? My parents' stone is under a pine tree, and the sap has turned part of the stone black.

By Charles from Greenville, SC

Answers

Best Answer

Granite is a porous stone. I would contact a monument company and have them clean it and see if there's something they can seal it with.

Best Answer

Try GooGone. I don't know what it will do to the granite, but it will remove the sap.

At the end of April I went hiking and got what I thought were splinters from some trees that I had grabbed onto with my arm bent. So it's right in the crease of my arm, opposite my elbow. Now it's July and what I now realize is that it is tree sap not splinters oozing out slowly. It burns. What do I do? Is there a way to soak out the sap?

By Sarah W.

Answers

Sarah, I don't think it's tree sap. It sounds like an infection. You should go to the doctor right away and see if you need an antibiotic. If you don't want to go to the doctor, then use some peroxide and antibiotic ointment on it. I do recommend the doctor, though. It's been a long time and you don't want to take any chances of the infection getting into your bloodstream. Good luck.

Jen

I think you should go to a doctor. Anything minor you got on your arm in April -- splinters or sap -- would be gone by now. This is nothing like I have ever heard of.

Your arm looks infected. It has been long enough that it could be a very serious infection. You need to see a doctor right away.

How can I clean pine sap from my polycarbonate deck roof please?

Answers

I read mayonnaise would take it off.

Be careful with anything you try as some chemicals could damage this type material. Try anything in a small inconspicuous place before going all the way.
Here are some products that can be used for sap/tar removal but not sure all have been tested on polycarbonate panels. Most of these products can be purchased at Wal Mart type stores, on-line or auto parts stores.

Murphys oil soap, Citra-Solv, Duck Adhesive Removal, Goop hand cleaner, Goo-Be-Gone

Remember - test first.

We have a lovely swing set in the backyard for our grandchildren. The swings and the chains that you hold to swing are covered with either tree sap or drippings from the trees above. It's black and sticky. How would you suggest we clean this?

Answers

Have you tried WD 40 or Goop?

Nail polish remover would work. Then rinse with baking soda and water.

How do I remove pine tree sap on the overhead screens on my lanai? The pine tree always drips sap and I can't remove the pine tree.

Answers

Hi, Em. Sap is insidious, isn't it. Google has some good answers and here's one that won't cost a lot: http://www.gard … ve-tree-sap.htm. Going forward, however, so that you don't have to worry about sap removal on a regular basis, could you protect your screens with cheap roll ends of wallpaper or something similar? Simply remove the paper or cheap fabric periodically then replace it without having to worry about cleaning / scouring?

Anonymous

Yes,yes,yes I am happy to say. Our deck chairs are metal frames with strong poly mesh seats and backs. I thought today I would attempt to find a solution to the pine gum from nearby hanging trees. First I tried rubbing alcohol ready to go to Goo Gone if necessary. Eureka...with alcohol, the gum just dissolved making it no more than just rubbing it off. Easy really. Hope this helps others.

I have tree sap (from the yellow sticky buds off trees) that fall onto my outdoor vinyl I have on my deck. I cannot remove the yellow stickiness. I tried Goof Off, but that also took the colour out of my vinyl too. Please if anyone has a solution I would very much appreciate your response.

By Brenda B.

Answers

Have you tried wd-40?

I have a composite picnic table and I used the regular unscented Cutex nail polish remover. I wet the cloth and just a few rubs and the sap was gone, it did not take the color out at all. Ran out of Cutex and purchased a different brand, but had to use a lot more and rub harder as well. I will try it on my composite deck and the old vinyl one next. I will post the results. Dave Gulash

I have multiple areas with sap on a few window screens, will nail polish remover work?

By Lady Lucy from NY

Answers

To remove sap with nail polish remover effectively you'd want to use a nail polish remover with acetone because the non-acetone won't even cut through price tag adhesive in my experience. You should test a very small area of the screen to see if the nail polish remover will remove the sap without melting the synthetic material the mesh is woven from-acetone can 'melt' plastics.

I think you'd have safer and better results using one of the automotive sap removing products. The car care products for removing sap from car finishes, windscreens, and headlamps (all car parts or finishes being made with synthetic polymers nowadays) will remove the sap easily without 'melting' your screen mesh.

I would use rubbing alcohol.

How do I get sap off a pair of hiking pants made of 100% nylon material? There is alot, as I sat in it!

Pattie

Answers

I would *try* rubbing alcohol .. it should break down the sap and is safe to use on nylon!

Good Luck!
Rebekah

I have found that if I wash my sappy clothes in really hot water with laundry detergent, they come out clean.

How can I remove tree sap or resin from a blanket that was spread out on the ground? I saw all the postings for small areas but can I use the hand sanitizer in the washing machine? It's going to be a big job to get it all out! Thanks!

Noor from Garland, TX

Answers

I had pine sap drip into my hair. I used a paper towel with Pine Sol on it and the sap came right out. Maybe this will work on your blanket.

How do you get tree sap out of the interior of your vehicle roof lining (ceiling) which is fabric?

I have a nasty tree that drops sap all the time. It gets on my cloth furniture, my glass table, and the tile on my patio. I don't know how to get it up. Some of it is dried, but ugly. Suggestions?

A turkey feather fan was stored in a red cedar (Juniperus virgiana) feather box for several months. When it was taken out there was tree resin, sap, on the tips of the feathers. What is the best way to remove the resin?

By G. C. G. from Houston, TX

How do I remove lime tree sap from a caravan Perspex skylight window?

By Mike R

I have a brand new silk bedspread and my dog jumped on it with pine pitch on his feet. How do I remove it without spoiling the fabric?

By Diane L from Ormond Beach, FL

How to get tree sap out of leather goods?

By Barbara

How can I remove a large amount of sap from my RV awning? It is approximately 8' X 8".

By Steve

How do I remove tree sap from pelts without damaging the fur?

By Carmen G

One tile stuck to another floor tile. Plant was sitting on extra tile

By C Crawford

Pine pitch has left white spots on the new asphalt coating on the driveway.

By Ellen S.

How do I remove sap from blue stone?

By Sarah

How do I remove tree say from my RV and walls?

By Genevieve

How can I remove cottonwood sap from leather boat seats?

By Kelly

How do I remove pine sap from an aluminum railing?

By Ligita

How do I remove pine sap from Timbertech composite decking?

By Ligita

How do I remove pine tree sap from pool screening?

By ET from Brooksville, FL

How do I remove tree sap from Duradeck covering?

By Dennis J.L.

We have sap on the rock hearth around our fireplace. Is there a way to remove it without discoloring the rock?

By Bobbi A. from Fairmont Hot Springs, BC

We have accidentally got banana tree sap on one of the outdoor walls can you please tell us how to remove it?

By Kathryn

How do I remove tree sap from rubber car mats?

By Margaret

How do you get sap off your shoes? They are Sperrys.

By Amy

I accidentally sat on some pine tree sap and it got on my slacks. I pretreated them before I washed them, the sap is gone, but the spots remain. Is there anything to fix this problem? I did not dry them in the dryer, I air dried them. They are brand new slacks, I am sick, I need help. Thank you.

By Marilyn D.

How do you remove pine tree sap from tile flooring?

By Brenda B.

How can I remove dried on, harden tree sap from a Little Tike swing?

By Cindy

How do I remove pine tree sap from a tent trailer?

By G.Anderson

How can I remove tree sap from outdoor playthings such as Little Tike slides/climbers, Step 2 playthings and such items?

By Mary G

How do you remove pine tree sap from a canvas patio umbrella?

By Thomas