Removing Sap from Concrete

Trees overhanging your driveway, sidewalk, or patio can drip sap on to the concrete surface leaving you with a sticky mess to clean up. This is a guide about removing sap from concrete.

I have a colored and sealed concrete patio that is covered with pine sap. How do I remove the sap without harming the concrete?

By Bob Levitt from Copake, NY

Answers

Have you tried oxi-clean it is non toxic and works wonders. Spray it on let sit till almost dry use a deck brush and rinse with water.

Anonymous

I have new natural stone on my front steps. Today there were several brown spots on one of the stones. I have 2 emerald cedar trees directly in front of the landing where this happened. Is this sap from the emerald cedars and if so how do I get the marks off. They are not sticky, just brown marks. Many thanks.

How do I remove pine tree sap from concrete?

By Alice from Wilmington, NC

How do you remove tree sap from a concrete patio? It's older rough concrete. I've used bleach, Comet, and concrete cleaner. Nothing works. I've scrubbed until my back ached.

By Carol from Dayton, OH

Answers:

WD-40

Pour some WD-40 on it, let it soften half an hour, and then cover it with Zorb-All or similar grit. Zorb-All is just a generic name for the oil absorbent material garages use to absorb spills and get oil stains out of concrete. It may be called something different in your area, but it comes in big bags and is quite cheap at automotive parts stores. They will know what you mean when you ask for Zorb-All.

Stir the Zorb-All a bit after an hour or two, and then let it sit overnight. In the morning you can sweep it up, and all oil and sap stains will be gone. (08/12/2009)

By Helmut

Auto Store

You can get stuff at the auto store for removing tar, bugs, and sap from a car without damaging the paint.
I'd try that. I can't seem to find the name of the stuff though, but you can get it at Auto Zone and I think Walmart. I've used it on other things and it's worked great! (08/17/2009)

By Sarah Leach