Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
A little vinegar in your humidifier will help freshen the air in your home.
Has anyone heard of undiluted distilled white vinegar? I have a humidifier that calls for cleaning with this. All I can find in the store is the diluted to 5% acidity distilled white vinegar. I really need to get my humidifier up and going.
The maximum possible concentration of laboratory Acetic Acid (vinegar) is 37%. That's as pure as it gets. However, in that concentration, you wouldn't want to work with it around the house. You would need a chemical lab background and safety equipment to work with this stuff.
Ordinary household vinegar, the kind you buy at the supermarket, will dissolve any calcium and lime deposits in a humidifier if allowed to soak for 24 hours to do its work. Add about 1 cup of household vinegar to the humidifier, then fill with hot water. Use in a well ventilated area because you're going to be producing some stinky gases.
Rinse the humidifier after use, and inspect for loose chunks of lime deposits that may have come loose but not dissolved. (Hope I don't have to mention to be sure to unplug the humidifier while all this is going on.)
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
Will white vinegar neutralize the smell coming into the humidifier?
By allen from Rochester, NY
White distilled vinegar is excellent for removing odors and safe for cleaning humidifiers. Use full strength.
You must make sure to clean the humidifier as bacteria can build on things as well as mold. Vinegar is a good water conditioner for this too.
I want to know if I can put vinegar in the water in my humidifier. Would it be harmful to breath it in? How about for the kids? We have a pink bacteria (probably Serratia marcesans) that shows up very quickly in the humidifier tank. I clean it once a week.
By Don H.
Clean your spigot really well and around & under your sink with bleach, the mold/bacteria is coming from somewhere. Most likely where you are filling, opening, or servicing your machine. It is common for pink mold/bacteria to live on and in the spray nozzle of many sinks as it can easily be overlooked when cleaning and stays moist. Try using distilled water mostly in your humidifiers, because things don't grow in it and distilled water wont scale your humidifiers as it evaporates. Pink mold/bacteria is dangerous by the way, so be careful.
yep distilled water,cost a fortune...
It's only about a dollar a gallon where I live. Doesn't seem like a lot of money to me if it works better.
I would dilute it with water.
Where I live it is the same price around $1.00 for a gallon. The thing is I went to a store to get my first thing of water and it was expensive.