Can I Add Vinegar to my Humidifier?

I want to know if I can put vinegar in the water in my humidifier. Would it be harmful to breath it in? How about for the kids? We have a pink bacteria (probably Serratia marcesans) that shows up very quickly in the humidifier tank. I clean it once a week.

By Don H.

Clean your spigot really well and around & under your sink with bleach, the mold/bacteria is coming from somewhere. Most likely where you are filling, opening, or servicing your machine. It is common for pink mold/bacteria to live on and in the spray nozzle of many sinks as it can easily be overlooked when cleaning and stays moist. Try using distilled water mostly in your humidifiers, because things don't grow in it and distilled water wont scale your humidifiers as it evaporates. Pink mold/bacteria is dangerous by the way, so be careful.

yep distilled water,cost a fortune...

It's only about a dollar a gallon where I live. Doesn't seem like a lot of money to me if it works better.

Where I live it is the same price around $1.00 for a gallon. The thing is I went to a store to get my first thing of water and it was expensive.

I then went to Walmart and found the right price. You might want to check around if the price is your problem.

I would dilute it with water.