Removing Vaporub from the Inside of My Humidifier

Category Miscellaneous
Cleaners such as Dawn or a mix of water and alcohol can be sloshed around the inside of a humidifier to remove the greasy residue of Vicks Vaporub. This is a guide about removing Vaporub from the inside of my humidifier.

How can I remove Vaporub from the inside of my humidifier? There is no chance of me getting inside it.

Answers

Best Answer

I clean my humidifier with a diluted bleach solution.

Best Answer

You may want to try wiping the inside of the humidifer very thoroughly with a clean rag or paper towel soaked with rubbing alcohol, which cuts through greasy substances very well [usually at least]. You could also wash the humidifier tank with dish liquid [I've found Dawn especially effective when it comes to grease]. Whatever you use, rinse very thoroughly as well. Good luck!

This will probably take several cleaning since you cannot get inside your unit.

• It is possible a solution of warm water and
  • Dawn sloshed around in your unit would remove some of this but Vicks will have left a film on everything so anything you try will have to be done several times.
  • Ad

• A strong solution of white vinegar and warm water will probably help also.
  • I have used a strong solution of hydrogen peroxide with warm water and that worked on regular cleaning and removing any traces of mold or mildew.
  • I would be very careful when using a bleach solution as regular household bleach can remove some of the top finish on plastic items. A weak solution with warm water may help remove germs.
  • If none of this works, you might just want to look for a nice used one at a local thrift store. Just sanitize it before using.