Using Vinegar in the Laundry

Category Laundry
The vinegar smell will disappear soon after clothes are dried. Vinegar is used in the rinse cycle to deodorize and soften your laundry. This is a guide about using vinegar in the laundry.

I was told to add white vinegar to the rinse cycle of my wash, but will my laundry smell like vinegar once done?

By CJ Baca from Highland, CA

Answers

Best Answer

As a bicycle rider, I wash my clothing in cold water and generally add about 2 cups of vinegar to the final rinse. If there ever is a scent, it's only temporary [~5 -10 min.] but the plus-side is that the clothing is squeaky clean; no perfumes or odors to attract insects while out riding. Plus it helps retain the colors of my jersies.

How much vinegar should I use to deodorize clothing when washing it? How much should I use as fabric softener? Thanks.

By Robinn from Albuquerque, NM

Answers:

Using Vinegar in the Laundry

The Heinz vinegar site says 1 cup for laundry, but they also want you to buy more. I use 1/2 cup in every load in the rinse cycle as a fabric softener and it seems to be fine. I have also seen 1/2 cup listed on other sites as being plenty to use. You can always adjust if you find it isn't working for you.

heinzvinegar.com

vinegartips.com

home.howstuffworks.com (11/01/2009)

By KL

Using Vinegar in the Laundry

I have been filling the fabric softener dispenser, but when I put the clothes in the dryer I lightly moisten a used dryer sheet, one of a few that were being saved for some "good reason", and the combination seems to work well. The clothes smell nice and fresh, and there does not seem to be a static problem, even though we are now beginning to have some much cooler, dryer weather. This beats cleaning the gunk that had built up in the fabric softener dispenser, under the cup itself and is so much less expensive to top it all. (11/04/2009)

By Loretta

Using Vinegar in the Laundry

I use a Downy Fabric Soften ball that I bought in the grocery store for my white vinegar. I fill it almost all the way to the top to deodorize and soften, and whiten my clothing. I drop the softener ball in the wash with the white vinegar in it. When the wash water is is spun out, the ball with the vinegar in it will open and be used in the rinse cycle. Works great for me. (11/04/2009)

By Linda Watters