How to Prevent Well Water Odors on Laundry

Category Laundry

This is a guide about preventing well water odors on laundry. Vinegar can be an effective remedy if well water is making your laundry smell bad. Here are some other tips to help you achieve fresh smelling laundry.

Well water can be the best water you have ever tasted, but sometimes it can have a strong, unpleasant sulfur odor. This is a guide about removing sulfur smell from a well water system.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

We use well water in our area and because of that water when I wash towels they always have a fowl smell to them. What can I do to take away the smell?

WarpedAngel from MD

Answers

Best Answer

Wash towels in the hottest water possible. Add Baking soda in the wash water - 1 cup. Vinegar in the rinse water - 1 cup. Good Luck

Best Answer

I would send out a water sample and find out whats "IN" the water and then get the appropriate filtering system to combat it.

Anonymous
Best Answer

If you get a reverse osmosis system takes care if the sulphur smell

Best Answer

It the iron in the water that makes it smell. I use rinse and bead rinse in wash cycle and dryer sheets and still smells. All was good until hurricane Irma hit us

What can I use in my laundry to take the rotten well water smell out of clothes? Thank you.

Answers

Add 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide, or a scoop of borax to each load, and line dry them in the sun. You can also purchase a product called Iron Out and add it to the rinse cycle.

You can purchase a couple gallons of store-bought water, and add 1 tbsp of bleach per gallon of water and let your clothes soak for about 30 minutes. Do this every couple of months.

It is best to add 1 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of baking soda to the wash to get rid of this odor. Or you can add some pine scented cleaner to the wash cycle. My grandma always adds Pine Sol to her wash.

I do a diluted vinegar vinegar soak and then wash as usual, hang outside to dry.

borax doesnt work for me, only ablr to line dry 3 months in Oregon, I appreciate your help. Will try peroxide, Thanks so much, Nancy. I did hear that powder washing soap such is gain, is better to use than liquid tide.

What can I do to make my laundry smell better? We are on well water.

By John k

Answers

Wash cycle as usual then add 1 cup ammonia to rinse water. It also works for clothes that smell if you forgot an left washer.

You can add some vinegar to the final rinse. The clothing wont retain the vinegar odor