Uses for Vinegar

In addition to use as a salad dressing and pickling base, vinegar has numerous uses in cleaning, cooking, gardening, and home remedies to name a few. This is a guide about uses for vinegar.

Vinegar is a cheap and easy cleaning solution. Vinegar is naturally antibacterial. In my kitchen, I use one part vinegar to one part water to clean the counters and sink, and to disinfect.

I keep my large Germ X bottles or even the small ones. I fill one of the large ones with dish soap and keep it by the sink. I have another one I fill with white vinegar.

Once a month, I run vinegar through the coffee maker to clean out the residue that builds up. Make sure you run a pot of clean water through before you make your next pot of coffee.

Vinegar is really great stuff with many cool uses. Here are the the 2 best ones I know of.

1. Remove rust from metal. Just let the metal (pliers, blade etc.) soak overnight in the vinegar. Rub off with old cloth, rinse with water and dry or place in sun. Bye-bye rust.

2. Paint the undiluted vinegar on wood to keep nasty woodborers and other insects away. It's better if you can submerge the wood for an hour but not necessary.
Considering the prices nowadays of rust remover and wood treatment, this tip can save you many, many $$!

Source: My own experiments. It works!

I have stopped buying expensive and fume cleaning products and have gone to vinegar for everything. It is the oldest, safest and most effective cleaning product there is.

Many hospitals are now using white vinegar to clean and disinfect everything. With cut backs, it has become more economical. With germs (all over the world), that have become immune to cleaning solutions and antibiotics, vinegar has become the number one choice.

Vinegar! White or apple cider are both wonderful cleaning products. If you have a smoke smell (like I recently did when my son started a fire on my range)...

Fill a Downy Ball with white vinegar. Toss it into the washing machine with your clothes. Not only will they will come out static-free, but fresh-smelling as well. A big plus is that it's more natural than regular fabric softener and cheaper too!

Here are several clever ideas for using vinegar around the house. Post your own favorite vinegar uses.

I keep a bowl of white vinegar on my stove to keep cooking odors down. When a closet or room starts to smell musty or stale, I put a bowl of white vinegar on a shelf for a few days. This usually takes care of just about any smell. It was especially good when my son was a teenager.

Remove fireplace soot and grime with undiluted white distilled vinegar. Use a brush to scrub then blot the wetness and dirt off with a towel.

White vinegar will not ruin the blades of scissors or rust the metal like water and soap will. Use a cloth soaked in white vinegar to clean scissors instead of water.

After a nasty fall in my bath tub, I became extra careful to not have it happen again. My first idea was to always just throw a facecloth in the tub to stand on. My latest and very effective method that keeps me safe as well as my family is to spray my vinegar/water cleaning solution on the bottom of the tub.

This is a guide about vinegar and dish soap fruit fly trap. A simple effective fruit fly trap can be made with apple cider vinegar and a few drops of dish soap.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using white vinegar for dandruff. Instead of trying expensive medicated shampoos, try using vinegar instead.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This common fermented liquid can be an inexpensive product for many household uses. This guide is about frugal uses for vinegar.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

A frugal and effective natural cleaner is vinegar. It can be used to disinfect surfaces, soften and brighten laundry, deodorize and much more. This is a guide about cleaning with vinegar.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

There are several common household products that can be used to remove mildew. This is a guide about vinegar for removing mildew from a tent.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Spray clothes with a mixture of vinegar and water prior to ironing to help remove creases. This is a guide about removing creases with vinegar spray.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Adding a bit of vinegar to your home humidifier can help freshen the air. This is a guide about adding vinegar to your humidifier.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Newspaper is relatively lint free and works well with vinegar to clean windows, leaving them streak free. This is a guide about use vinegar and newspaper for cleaning windows.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Vinegar is a great odor eliminator, not only is it natural and non-toxic but it really works! Learn how to use vinegar as a natural odor eliminator in this guide.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Warning: Mixing vinegar and bleach creates chlorine gas. The two together make a stronger cleaning solution but can be very hazardous to your health. Don't mix vinegar and bleach.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If you don't have any cleaner in the house, you can always use vinegar. It makes your floors shine and cuts the grime off your floor. It makes your house smell cleaner than regular cleaner.

There are tons of uses for vinegar. From cleaning to killing weeds. Post your ideas.

Answers

Use vinegar soaks to clean dentures, rusted tools and faucets

By imaqt1962

Vinegar adds an amazing sheen to dark hair.....(similar to lemon juice for blondes) ....apparantley!

I use white vinegar in the rinse-aid dispenser of my dishwasher. My dishes are squeaky clean and my glasses shine.
A huge saving.

My showerhead clogs after a while. I just remove it and soak in vinegar all night . The next day its perfect and ready to go.

Use vinegar in your fabric dispenser in your washing machine. Clothes will not smell like vinegar and they come out of the dryer real soft.

I like to use a mix of vinegar and baking soda to clean my drains. It can often unclog them (found this out in a clogged bath tub drain). I also use vinegar and water to clean my ceramic-top stove (leaves it with a nice shine). Vinegar and water clean my car windows and my house windows. You can use vinegar and water as windshield-washer fluid if you put some alcohol in it to keep if from freezing in the winter. I use it to clean my glass tables. It works very well to clean mineral buildup on all sorts of glass and metal products, although you have to be careful - vinegar is an acid, and it can eat holes in certain metals!

When you have a sore throat drink 1 TEASPOON of white vinegar and drink a small glass of water. My family has done that for years and it always works. The vinegar kills the infection.

Wash windows, mirrors,tile floors with white vinegar. Rinse your white clothes with this also. It helps get the soap out and keeps them from getting yellow.

Rinse your uncolored hair with it for a great shine. Gargle with white vinegar for sore throats. Use as an antiseptic for minor cuts. Clean your bathtub.

It also kills weeds, cleans your white walled tires. Spray on your animals as a repellant for fleas, ticks, etc. You may also put a little in their water.

PS. Don't use on colored items!

By Sandi G

I am a big fan of natural, non-toxic cleaners such as baking soda and vinegar. My question is, can you use vinegar to kill germs? For example, would vinegar be sufficient to kill germs from raw meat on your counter? Also, I am assuming that vinegar is totally non-toxic - please let me know if this is not correct! Thanks.

Ann in Mint Hill

Answers

Here is just one site I found that says vinegar kills germs. I had heard about a study that proved this a few years ago...so use it without guilt!!!
http://www.care  lutions/home/164

Anonymous

Vinegar is a wonderful cleaner; but, there are two options I would suggest. 1st: spray the vinegar on the area that you want and let it sit 5 minutes and wipe that off and then spray hydrogen peroxide and do the same thing. separately sprayed on they kill germs well. mixed together they are not as effective. 2: my recommendation and what I use, I add a tsp of tea tree essential oil to a sprayer bottle of about 1 cup of water. shake each time before you use it. Tea tree oil kills just about everything. Ecoli and salmonella. And it smells clean as well and you only have the one step.

Is vinegar sprayed directly on a laminate surface, such as the kitchen counter, and then left to stand for 5 or more minutes harmful to the counter top? It seems like it would be too harsh to use undiluted.

If you use a chopping board for all raw meat, (kept solely for that purpose - do not mix chopping boards for cooked and raw foods), you can wash it in very hot water with detergent and then just wipe over with vinegar if you want - but this should not be necessary as long as all food residue and fat is scrubbed off in very hot water. Allow to dry thoroughly following cleaning.

Regards

Jo

for mkymlp
I don't believe vinegar should hurt your counter top even if left on for 5 minutes. You do not need to use it full strength however. I would think 1 part water to 1 part vinegar would be a good disinfectant. If you know the manufacterer of the counter top you may want to google them to see if they have a website. Often they have cleaning tips or even a support number or email address where you can contact them.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to know I can use the vinegar to kill germs. My countertops aren't anything special so I don't worry about harming them...maybe something like marble would be a problem. I've never had a problem with it damaging anything. I've poured it full strength on carpet and upholstered furniture (when napping children have wet the furniture) and it's never done anything to the fabric.

I work for a commercial cleaning agency and I found that using vinegar to rid indoor brick of a dusty appearance caused by soap residue seems to work best. However I would like to know is there a ratio of vinegar to water that can be used in over a 1000 sq ft area? This is simply to help with cost.

First of all, spraying any product, wether its vinegar, or a hospital grade quat. disinfectant, onto a surface, and wiping it off, is not going to kill anything. All disinfectants need at least a 10 minute kill time, before you can wipe them off. Second of all, vinegar and disinfectants have 0 cleaning capabilities, they do not penetrate a surface, or loosen soils. There is a huge difference between cleaning and disinfecting, they are 2 seperate things all together. Using a good cleaning product, and doing a good job of cleaning, removes 98% of all bacteria. Thirdly, there is a huge differenc between a disinfectant, antibacterial, and sanitizer. Vinegar may be a good sanitizer, or antibacterial at best, but it is not a disinfectant.

I would like a list of various uses of vinegar in cleaning around the home. Also are there grades of vinegar to be used in the cleaning process?

John

What is the cleaning mixture for vinegar and water?

By Les from Vancouver, Canada

Answers

Vineger is also proven to help dissolve Uric Acid (why it can be used in the washing machine to soften the water and your clothes). Fantastic on pet stains, or soiled laundry. Also you can set out a small bowl of vinager to freshen the air in your house, and it's great mixed with water on no wax floors and will help break up any build up from commercial cleaners. I also like to put some in my carpet cleaner with water for geneal weekly cleaning & freshening.

Hi Nancy,
When they say undiluted vinegar, they mean straight from the bottle. Don't worry about the percentage. What comes from the bottle is strong enought.
Susan from ThriftyFun

Don't waste money on dangerous commercial mineral deposit removers for your tub, sinks & commode.
When you can be sure to leave your sink or tub unused for about eight hours, lay a facecloth or dish towel on the stained area. Soak the cloth with undiluted vinegar. Cover with a baggie or plastic wrap.
To treat the commode, remove all or as much of the water as possible from the bowl. Pour in enough vinegar to submerge the stained area. After about eight hours, uncover the previously stained areas & scrub gently with a plastic scrubber & dish soap. Just flush the toilet as you would normally.
The acidity of the vinegar neutralizes the alkaline minerals & allows them to be easily removed.
For stubborn rust deposits scour gently with "Barkeepers' Friend".

Love all Vinegar Tips and want to add mine. We had four children and was unable to buy expensive throw away diapers. We bought cloth diapers, washed them in detergent and rinse with 1 cup of vineagar, not one of our children had a diaper rash!

Can I use a solution of vinegar to clean the wooden surface on my RV interior? Is there a safe amount? Thanks.

By Araucano from FL

What are some alternative uses for vinegar around the house?

By Holly from Lancaster, WI

What scent can I add to vinegar base solution to make it smell better?

By Ginger from Whistler BC

I use iron out in my laundry to get my whites whiter. I saw on this site about using white vinegar, does this really work and how much do I use?

How do I not have the smell of vinegar when using it for the home cleaning remedies?

By Claudia