Using Vinegar to Remove Shampoo Build Up

Category Hair Tips
Vinegar works well to remove hair product buildup. Some people also use it to treat dandruff. This guide offers some advice about treating your hair with vinegar to remove shampoo build up.

I have a question about using vinegar for a hair rinse. Do you use it full strength, or dilute it? Do you rinse it out after, or leave it in? If you leave it in wouldn't it leave a smell? I have very fine, thin hair.

Answers

Best Answer

Dilute the vinegar so that it goes a little farther. Lemon juice also works equally well. Rinse either one well. They both help your hair rinse totally clean, especially if you have over-softened water or especially hard water.

To remove beauty product build up though, you may want to try the baking soda mixed with shampoo. It works very well.

By Beth (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Please use caution when using vinegar and lemon juice if you color your hair. The properties in vinegar and lemon juice are great for removing buildup but can also strip hair color causing haircolor to fade.

Especially Reds

By Margaret (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My mother always used to get me to make some bicarb soda made up to a couple of glasses of water and to use it on dry hair before washing - leave it on for a couple of minutes and then to wash it as normal. Works well!

Best Answer

I washed my hair then used baking soda after that a mix of water and lemon juice. It worked and smelled way better than when I used white vinegar.

Use vinegar and water to wash out residue from conditioner or shampoo build up. Rinse then wash with favorite shampoo makes hair feel great and gives your hair a boost of volume.

By stardaze from Buffalo NY

Vinegar to Remove Shampoo Build Up

I once asked a young woman what made her hair so shiny. She told me she makes a paste of water with baking soda and rubs it into her hair to get rid of the buildup from hair products. (02/23/2006)

By Carol

Vinegar to Remove Shampoo Build Up

Also, put some baking soda in the palm of your hand and then pour some shampoo over it, mix it with your finger and shampoo. My sister-in-law is a beautician and she uses this in her shop all the time. I use it at home, too. It's great if you use a lot of hairspray, gets the build-up out (02/23/2006)

By Louise

Vinegar to Remove Shampoo Build Up

I usually put baking soda in my shampoo bottle with some water to save money on the shampoo. It works great! (02/24/2006)

By scarlett mathis