Removing Rust Stains from Fabric and Clothing

rusty tools
No matter how the stain got on your clothing, a rust stain can usually be removed by following a few simple steps. This is a guide about removing rust stains on clothing.

Do not use bleach to get out rust stains. It sets rust. Watch those cleaners with bleach additives.

By Diamondee

Does anyone know how to get rust stains out of (white) clothing?

By hammaoftwo from Knoxville, TN

I have been able to get out rust stains using old-fashioned rust remover. It comes in a rust-colored small plastic squeeze container. White lettering. May not be with the laundry aids, but in the cleaning section...most often used to clean rust stains on toilets, sinks, and tubs. It is very caustic, so use carefully and read the directions. If it doesn't give info on fabric stains, then I believe that squirting some on full strength is what I did, but didn't let it soak long. My mother-in-law likes to use it in her white laundry loads because our water is so high in iron, that it helps keep her whites bright. Good luck!

Yes there is a little brown bottle called rust remover you can get it at Walmart or if you have a Brookshires

and it works. I use it all the time. All have u do is squirt it on the rust stain and you will see it go before your eyes.

I use a product from the laundry aisle called Whink Rust Remover. It works like magic. Seriously, you can just apply a tiny squirt and watch the rust dissapear. I just used it yesterday on my front porch carpeting. My darling husband left our snow shovel on the carpet this winter and I just squirted a tiny bit on and watched the rust literally dissapear. I know, small minds are easily amused. LOL I did rinse it off with the hose after. It works on concrete too, and I keep a bottle with my laundry supplies. It rins about $6 for an 8 ounce brown colored bottle. You won't be dissapointed.

Sandy/Pittsburgh

I would try peroxide. It does great on dried blood so it might take out rust.

You can saturate the rust spots with lemon juice, place the articles outside in the sun with the rust spots facing up toward the sun and the spots will be bleached out by the combination of lemon juice and sun. This is a tried & true home remedy that works.

I use bar keepers friend. Try it first on a tiny spot don't rub too hard you can get a hole in material. Best to you.

I bleached a discoloured white cotton T-shirt and it came out beautifully but a small section was resting on a knob in the sink and now its rusted. I tried vinegar and more bleach on that area but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Try Whink...

Available at walmart in a small brown bottle

Sprinkle the stain with salt, drip some lemon juice on it and set it in the sun.

You could try some of "the works" toilet bowl cleaner. I got a rust stain out of a shirt that way,,,Good luck..Wendy

Try dabbing a little bit of hydrogen peroxide (from the medicine cabinet) on the stain with a Q-tip. Let set for just a few minutes, then wash.

Any of the methods given below are safe for rust stains on white fabrics, but test on colored fabrics before use.

Lemon Juice - suitable for light stains on delicate fabrics. Spread stain over a bowl of boiling water and sprinkle with lemon juice. After a few minutes, rinse well and repeat if necessary.

Lemon Juice and Salt - sprinkle stain with salt, rub with lemon juice and place in sunlight. Keep moist with lemon juice till stain goes. Rinse well.

Cream of Tartar - (a powder, available in your grocery store spice section) for extensive staining, boil in a solution of 3 tsp. cream of tartar per cup of water. Rinse well OR if less extensive, dampen stain, spread with cream of tartar, hold in steam from boiling kettle. Rinse immediately stain goes. Do not use on fabrics that cannot be washed in hot water.

from http://www.srfa  m/care/stain.htm

Hope this helps!

That is the one thing that does work on rust on clothes,putting salt on then lemon then placed where the sunlight can get at it.

I tried this myself awhile back and it really did work..

What is causing orange spots on my whites and how do I get rid of them?

By Lina

If your washer is a bit old, it might be rust. I hope you find the culprit. PBP

Yeah, it does sound like rust. Use a rust treatment. Water can have rust in it, too.

I had the same problem and noticed the receptacle that holds the bleach had deteriorated. It was causing rust spots on my clothes. I have a new washer and the problem is gone.

How do I remove rust from cotton pants?

By Josie from Melbourne, Australia

Pour salt on the stain. Then cut a lemon into quarters and squeeze the juices over the salt on the rust stain.

Lay it outside until it dries. Brush off the salt.

Put the rust stained fabric on a towel.

Pour an enzyme laundry detergent on the rust stain.

Rub the detergent into the fibers of the fabric.

Launder according to garment directions or as usual.

How do I remove rust spots from garments?

By Ana

There is a product called "Whink" in the laundry aisle at most grocery stores. It is a brown bottle about 5 to 6 inches high. It is a thin liquid. Just quirt a little on the rust stain and then immediately launder as usual. I have used it on many types of fabric with success. Hope this helps.

I agree with Jsham, Whink is the way to go...a wonderful product.

How can I remove rust marks on my nearly new white Anorak winter coat? Please help.

By Charlie

I once lived in a house with a well that had terrible amounts of iron in the water. I discovered a product called Iron Out. I found it in the hardware department of Walmart. It is safe to use on clothing. I would just follow the directions on the packaging. I used a half cup in my laundry, but I remember there were other directions for spot use.

How do you remove rust from the neck of a white shirt? The hanger it was on in the closet broke and rust from the metal part got on the neck of my white Sunday shirt.

By Earl from Moriarty, NM

Pour lemon juice on the rust spot and allow the shirt to sit in direct sunlight for at least 20 minutes. Rinse and launder as usual. Repeat if necessary.