Browsing: Removing Rust Stains from Fabric and Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Rust Stains from Fabric and Clothing

No matter how the stain got on your clothing, a rust stain can usually be removed by following a few simple steps. This is a guide about removing rust stains on clothing.

rusty tools
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 29, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know how to get rust stains out of (white) clothing?

By hammaoftwo from Knoxville, TN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use a product from the laundry aisle called Whink Rust Remover. It works like magic. Seriously, you can just apply a tiny squirt and watch the rust dissapear. I just used it yesterday on my front porch carpeting. My darling husband left our snow shovel on the carpet this winter and I just squirted a tiny bit on and watched the rust literally dissapear. I know, small minds are easily amused. LOL I did rinse it off with the hose after. It works on concrete too, and I keep a bottle with my laundry supplies. It rins about $6 for an 8 ounce brown colored bottle. You won't be dissapointed.

Sandy/Pittsburgh

I would try peroxide. It does great on dried blood so it might take out rust.

You can saturate the rust spots with lemon juice, place the articles outside in the sun with the rust spots facing up toward the sun and the spots will be bleached out by the combination of lemon juice and sun. This is a tried & true home remedy that works.

I use bar keepers friend. Try it first on a tiny spot don't rub too hard you can get a hole in material. Best to you.

Read More Answers...

September 27, 2011 Flag

What is causing orange spots on my whites and how do I get rid of them?

By Lina

If your washer is a bit old, it might be rust. I hope you find the culprit. PBP

Yeah, it does sound like rust. Use a rust treatment. Water can have rust in it, too.

I had the same problem and noticed the receptacle that holds the bleach had deteriorated. It was causing rust spots on my clothes. I have a new washer and the problem is gone.

February 26, 2012 Flag

How do I remove rust from cotton pants?

By Josie from Melbourne, Australia

Pour salt on the stain. Then cut a lemon into quarters and squeeze the juices over the salt on the rust stain.

Lay it outside until it dries. Brush off the salt.

Put the rust stained fabric on a towel.

Pour an enzyme laundry detergent on the rust stain.

Rub the detergent into the fibers of the fabric.

Launder according to garment directions or as usual.

I had two small rust spots on a white cotton sweater. I used Bar Keeper's liquid cleaner on it. I dabbed it on and let it sit a day and then laundered as usual. It didn't harm the fabric and completely removed the stain.

December 17, 2011 Flag

How do I remove rust spots from garments?

By Ana

There is a product called "Whink" in the laundry aisle at most grocery stores. It is a brown bottle about 5 to 6 inches high. It is a thin liquid. Just quirt a little on the rust stain and then immediately launder as usual. I have used it on many types of fabric with success. Hope this helps.

I agree with Jsham, Whink is the way to go...a wonderful product.

September 8, 2004 Flag

Do not use bleach to get out rust stains. It sets rust. Watch those cleaners with bleach additives.

By Diamondee

May 20, 2011 Flag

How can I remove rust marks on my nearly new white Anorak winter coat? Please help.

By Charlie

I once lived in a house with a well that had terrible amounts of iron in the water. I discovered a product called Iron Out. I found it in the hardware department of Walmart. It is safe to use on clothing. I would just follow the directions on the packaging. I used a half cup in my laundry, but I remember there were other directions for spot use.

November 8, 2010 Flag

How do you remove rust from the neck of a white shirt? The hanger it was on in the closet broke and rust from the metal part got on the neck of my white Sunday shirt.

By Earl from Moriarty, NM

Pour lemon juice on the rust spot and allow the shirt to sit in direct sunlight for at least 20 minutes. Rinse and launder as usual. Repeat if necessary.

April 1, 2005 Flag

I bleached a discoloured white cotton T-shirt and it came out beautifully but a small section was resting on a knob in the sink and now its rusted. I tried vinegar and more bleach on that area but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 18, 2013
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 7:58:20 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.