Removing Rust Stains from Fabric and Clothing

No matter how the stain got on your clothing, a rust stain can usually be removed by following a few simple steps. This is a guide about removing rust stains on clothing.

rusty tools
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Does anyone know how to get rust stains out of (white) clothing?

By hammaoftwo from Knoxville, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use bar keepers friend. Try it first on a tiny spot don't rub too hard you can get a hole in material. Best to you.

Read More Answers...

What is causing orange spots on my whites and how do I get rid of them?

By Lina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had the same problem and noticed the receptacle that holds the bleach had deteriorated. It was causing rust spots on my clothes. I have a new washer and the problem is gone.

Read More Answers...

How do I remove rust from cotton pants?

By Josie from Melbourne, Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had two small rust spots on a white cotton sweater. I used Bar Keeper's liquid cleaner on it. I dabbed it on and let it sit a day and then laundered as usual. It didn't harm the fabric and completely removed the stain.

Read More Answers...

How do I remove rust spots from garments?

By Ana

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with Jsham, Whink is the way to go...a wonderful product.

Read More Answers...

How can I remove rust marks on my nearly new white Anorak winter coat? Please help.

By Charlie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I once lived in a house with a well that had terrible amounts of iron in the water. I discovered a product called Iron Out. I found it in the hardware department of Walmart. It is safe to use on clothing. I would just follow the directions on the packaging. I used a half cup in my laundry, but I remember there were other directions for spot use.

Do not use bleach to get out rust stains. It sets rust. Watch those cleaners with bleach additives.

By Diamondee

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you remove rust from the neck of a white shirt? The hanger it was on in the closet broke and rust from the metal part got on the neck of my white Sunday shirt.

By Earl from Moriarty, NM

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pour lemon juice on the rust spot and allow the shirt to sit in direct sunlight for at least 20 minutes. Rinse and launder as usual. Repeat if necessary.

I bleached a discoloured white cotton T-shirt and it came out beautifully but a small section was resting on a knob in the sink and now its rusted. I tried vinegar and more bleach on that area but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That is the one thing that does work on rust on clothes,putting salt on then lemon then placed where the sunlight can get at it.

I tried this myself awhile back and it really did work..

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 18, 2013
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 3, 2016 at 5:36:41 PM on 10.0.0.136 in 362 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.