Removing Sticky Grease Residue from Pans

After several instances of baking beer battered fish fillets, my cookie sheets (non stick) and my toaster oven baking pan (aluminum I think), all have a thick yellow gooey greasy residue. It is so gooey there is no cleaning by scrubbing. I have used a plastic spatula to scrape some off but it looks hopeless. Please help.

By Linda from FL

Answers:

For any pots, pans and baking trays can get a build up of grease. An easy way to remove this is to, cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of powdered detergent and leave for a few hours. This should loosen the baked on baked on grease enough to wash. (04/15/2010)

By kffrmw88

Hi! Sticky yellow grease is icky. Put on your hair-dyeing gloves (or get some really cool ones from the beauty supply store) and mix 3 parts salt and 2 parts white vinegar and scrub, scrub, scrub. Rinse in hot water.

Apply one of those Cascade brand dishwasher packets. Dissolve one in each pan and add boiling water. Let stand for about 30 minutes or so, be sure to cover the water up to the rim of each pan. Remember to wear your gloves!
After, if there is any grease left, use salt and lemon juice to finish. If all else fails, buy new pans. Good luck. (04/16/2010)

By sue123

If you have heavy all metal pans you can leave them in your self cleaning oven and let it do the work for you. Do not try this on your old thin cookie sheets, or you will throw them away as I did. The aluminum heavy cookie sheets and pans came out wonderful, looked like new.

I ran the oven for one hour first to see if that was long enough, another hour for one that was really bad. I have a spill over ring that lives in my oven, I never take it out. It got left by mistake and went through the auto cleaning and looked new, that's how I discovered this. All I have to do is wipe off the ash. I would not try this on teflon or other coated pans. (04/16/2010)

By latrtatr

Scrape of what you can with a spatula, then mix a paste of baking soda, salt and a few drops of liquid dish soap. Spread all over and let it sit for a while, go walk your dog or something. Come back and scrub with your nylon scrubby. This should work and it won't hurt your hands or the finish on non-stick pans. (04/16/2010)

By Deborah570

I'll bet it is a build up of a cooking spray. I have that problem, and never could figure out how to remove it. (04/16/2010)

By Coll3

If it is not aluminum, use Arm and Hammer washing soda. Directions say not to use on aluminum (the soda darkens aluminum pans). (04/16/2010)

By moravice

The baking soda and salt ideas should work, and in the future do what I do to avoid the problem by lining the sheets and pans with aluminum foil. ;-) (04/16/2010)

By Deeli

I have heard that soaking a fabric softner sheet in the pan overnight will loosen the grease so you can just wipe it out. I haven't tried it yet. Foil in the future is a good idea though. Wish I could remember to do it. : ) (04/16/2010)

By eveh

I buy "Greased Lightning." It comes in a spray bottle, spray it on and let it soak overnight. It will take the burned on grease off. (04/18/2010)

By graymare47

Woman cleaning greasy frying pan.
Mirror
Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Mirror
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Leather Jacket
Removing Sticky Residue from Name Tag on Leather Jacket
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎉
🎄