Removing Wall Paper Glue

I have removed the wall paper border, but the adhesive remained. Any idea's of how to remove, or can you just paint over it? Thank You

Dorothy from Madison, WI

Answers:

Removing Wall Paper Glue

Try vinegar like 1/2 a cup in some hot water. Use an old cloth and wipe it on, let it set. Don't let it drip down the walls. This should remove the glue. Also a plastic scraper once the glue has been softened might help. When you paint over a "messy" area it will show beneath your nice new paint job. Also, the walls should be washed well with a solution of TSP, found in hardware stores. Wash from the bottom up. Rinsing your cloth in a bucket of clean water between washings helps to keep the walls streak free. Painting is the easy part, the prep is the work. (06/17/2008)

By Amanda

Removing Wall Paper Glue

There is a product by Zisser called DIF. I'd be cautious about using vinegar on sheet rock because it is what is added to tape/bedding "mud" to soften it so it will dry slower. The vinegar might affect dry sheet rock through tiny holes or cracks? God bless and help you.
(06/18/2008)

By Lynda

Removing Wall Paper Glue

We had 4 layers of wallpaper over plaster walls dating back at least 60 years. We used DIF to remove the paper, but were left with a lot of sticky glue. I sprayed the wall with Green Works Natual All-Purpose cleaner. I let it sit for about 2 minutes and then using a Dobie Pad and very hot water wiped the glue off with little effort. I was left with very smooth walls. (07/26/2008)

By Sandy65

Removing Wall Paper Glue

I had the most success with the heavy duty Dawn and vinegar. (08/03/2008)

By njn343

Removing Wall Paper Glue

A mixture of hot water and laundry softener and some detergent, and a wet sanding sponge. Wet, sand it off (keep rinsing the sponge), then wipe of with a hot, wet rag. Works like a charm. You can also use Dawn soap, the sanding sponge is the key to getting the left over glue off. (10/03/2008)

By Crystal

Removing Wall Paper Glue

I read the comments and tried the Dawn solution, very hot water, and a Chore Boy pad/sponge. After working the wall and rinsing frequently, I followed with a wipe down of very hot clear water and 1 cup vinegar as a final step to clean and neutralize. If none of this works for you as was the case with a friend and you are ready to throw in the towel, because the wall is damaged and requires too much repair, do what my friend did. She had a light knockdown texture applied to her walls and then painted them. Actually, they look awesome. (10/21/2008)

By Julie

Removing Wall Paper Glue

(submitted via email)
I had the same problem. I used the product Wallwik. Go to wallwik.com. It really works.

Tina (12/29/2008)

By jess

Removing Wall Paper Glue

I have a Conair Stand Up Stream Pressing Wand which works wonders. Then wipe with vinegar and hot water not letting it run down your wall. Good luck. (02/23/2009)