Repairing Bathroom Wall

I noticed the wallpaper in the bathroom was lifting so I pulled it off and about three layers of wall came off with it. There was some net looking stuff and cardboard, all that's left is a brown wall, like paper.

Should I hire someone to fix my whole bathroom wall or can I do it? If so what do I need and how do I do it? It looks like it needs plaster over it or something. The layers peeled off and it smells like mildew. I didn't think it was going to be that bad. Yikes.

I have Lowes here so if you use products from there I will need the name and the amount to get.

Picaso from Florida

Answers:

Repairing Bathroom Wall

Sounds like my walls. I did the same thing. All you're left with is almost like a pressed cardboard. Apparently this was used before there was drywall. It was intended to have a plaster veneer over it. Fortunately for me my husband is a plasterer. You will either need to have it plastered or tear it out and replace it with drywall. (04/04/2005)

By Tina