Repairing Sheetrock

I recently removed some very old and very adhered wallpaper in my kitchen. Despite my best efforts, there are large and small areas where the top layer of the sheetrock came off with the paper. How do I prepare these areas for painting? I am afraid if I just sand and prime these spots the primer and paint will just be sucked up by the gray paper-like substance that was exposed. Can someone advise? Thanks.

Tripleb from Greenville, AL

Answers:

Repairing Sheetrock

Have you checked at the paint store/home supply store? Usually, there are employees who are pretty knowledgeable about painting projects and this sounds like a common situation they've probably dealt with before. (05/10/2006)

By aardvark

Repairing Sheetrock

Sounds like your absorbent areas need "sizing" or sealing. This usually involves painting the area with papering paste or PVA glue if the the top paper is very heavy. (05/11/2006)

By Alan

Repairing Sheetrock

If you don't want to call the plasterers and the areas involved are relatively small, you can use drywall joint compound to smooth over the rough spots. Use a plastic putty knife to apply the compound and to even out the edges and blend them flush with the rest of the wall. It might take practicing a couple of times to do it right, but if you make a mistake, just use a damp cloth to remove the mistake areas. Allow the joint compound to dry before painting. If you do use drywall joint compound, you can sand the plastered spots when they are dry to smooth them out and make them even.(05/11/2006)

By P.

Repairing Sheetrock
Stack of paperback books.
Repairing a Paperback Book
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Pink Purse on White Background
Repairing Purses
🎄