Reusing Bakery Packaging

Category Reusing
There are many craft and other uses for the packaging from your bakery items, especially the clamshell style and other plastic boxes and trays. This is a guide about reusing bakery packaging.

Use cupcake trays from the grocery store bakery for mini greenhouse to start plant seeds in. Each cake compartment holds a peat seed starter pot nicely. All you need to do is use a soldering iron to melt some drainage holes and a couple vent holes on top. Use peat seed starter pots in each cake compartment. When plants get bigger just remove the peat pots and reuse your cupcake greenhouse over and over.

By Kim from KS

Great idea. I like the bigger size (versus egg cartons) because the seeds are easier to work with.

I bought some pull-apart bread last week. The tray that is on the bottom is black, but can't be recycled in this state. The center has a ring in the middle, and two other rings larger toward the edges. The first thing I thought of was doing this, and wanted to share it with you all.

I put a dip of half hummus and half cottage cheese, then surrounded them with crackers. You can use a glass dome and put something festive inside too, using the dome upside down to show what it is, then decorate with veggies and other things, even those that are non food. If you can find one of these in the bread section, you might want to try it out.

BTW: the clear bread section is good for starting plants, small toys, craft items, paper plates, and just about anything you might need. Hope this inspires others!

By Poor But Proud from Yorktown, VA

I sometimes get packaged molasses cookies at the DT. They have the coolest plastic containers that I often reuse.

Here are three ideas for your home that might help "declutter" the end table, work, and desk space.

Other ideas I didn't have a photo op' for are:

Can you all think of more things to use them for?

By Sandi from Salem, OR

A good place for that pesky once used brillo pad!

One of my mottos is "think before you toss!" Now and then, I buy a deli pie, muffins or cake, or someone brings a similar product to a "bring your own dish to share" gathering.