Reusing Spice Bottles

The small jars that spices are sold in can be repurposed for a variety of things. This guide is about reusing spice bottles.

March 23, 2011 Flag

Recycle those bigger shaker bottles that spices come in. I reuse them and fill with cinnamon sugar or flour (for that quick shot you need to make great gravy).

It is so much handier to have one bottle to grab while I'm cooking than having to go to the pantry for the canister of flour. I also like to use them to make my own spice blends. This saves so much time when you're putting dinner together.

By aloham58 from Onalaska, WA

This is a fabulous idea. I do not cook much with flour (bake) because of dragging the flour out from the frig I keep the flour in the refrigerator nothing ever happens to it and never spoils. It is much easier to have a small spice container. I will be cooking with flour much more often now.

Save those spice containers and buy more from the bulk section instead of an entire new jar. It's usually much cheaper and you can buy a smaller amount so your spices are fresher. In my area, Sprouts markets have dozens of bulk spices sold by weight. It's a great way to try a new spice without having to invest in a large jar as well! I save those little glass jam jars from hotels and put spices in those too.

I like to start small cuttings of plants. Leave the shaker top on it and stick the cutting through the hole.

I feel so stupid that I didn't think of that! Thank you so much.

April 29, 2015 Flag

I have found that getting black pepper out of a paprika container is much easier than using the pepper shaker I keep on the stove top. Instead of going shake - shake - shake - shake - shake - shake, I just go sprinkle - sprinkle, and I'm done.

Place black pepper in an old paprika container.

May 8, 2008 Flag

When spice bottles are empty, the plastic ones you get, wash them out with hot water and soap, remove labels and let air dry. When dry, you can store sewing pins, needles, buttons, small nails, tacks, anything small.

November 19, 2010 Flag

I use empty plastic spice containers to hold baby powder. Works great.

January 7, 2011 Flag

I make jewelry. While at the craft store the other day I checked out the bead storage section. The bottles, etc. were very expensive. So I decided to improvise. I cleaned out my spice rack of old spices to reuse the plastic clear and semi-clear bottles for bead storage. It works great, except I don't know how to get the smell of some of the spices out of the plastic bottles and how to get the labels off! Any suggestions? Help!

By Maw-Maw from Athens, GA

November 28, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas for reusing glass spice jars? Thank you.

By Sheilah

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can refill them with spices bought in the bulk section.

Or make your own spice blends by mixing from your other pumpkin pie blend or taco blend or even a cinnamon/sugar blend for toast.

You can etch the bottles: ... ject-custom-etched-glass-jars-080183

Or google 'free printable spice labels' and print out new labels.

Put sugar or cocoa powder or flour in for sprinkling on foods or to flour the cutting board when rolling dough etc.

Keep Parmesan cheese in for a smaller table version.

Use as a small bud vase or flower vase.

Use for any kind of small storage like bobby pins, safety pins, paper clips, push pins, toothpicks, hardware like nails, nuts, bolts, screws, sewing notions like pins, needles, bobbins, buttons, snaps, beads, etc.

Also any kind of collection of small things like small toys, dice, marbles., coins..

Make small snow globes. ... ng/Holiday-Craft-DIY-Snow-Globe.html

Make little banks out of them:

I saw on a blog where they filled them with cake & candy sprinkles of various shapes and colors. You could prob do the same thing with small candies. (She also saved beach sand from various vacations in small bottles & labeled them.)

Fill them with layers of colored sand:

A few more ideas:

Maybe use to store buttons, needles, safety pins, paper clips, or for food like those small amounts of extra tomato paste, chopped chives etc in the fridge?

Great for packing things in for lunch (salad dressing, peanut butter, etc.).

I used spice bottles and baby food jars as well as storage for washers nuts bolts nails screws etc. I use a 1/2" x #3 screw to fasten the lids to the bottom of a cabinet above my work bench. (I have 20 spice and 16 baby food jars in my layout) Once attached I simply twist the jar onto the lid and I have the perfect out-of-the-way place for all those little odds and ends. I bought color coded labels for mine (red for nails blue for screws etc.)

March 7, 2007 Flag

Save your empty spice bottles (the ones with the holes in the top). They are perfect for holding kids' small paint brushes or the fine paint brushes you use for arts and crafts.

March 23, 2011 Flag

To keep salt and pepper (or other spices) from spilling when traveling, camping, or picnicking re-use the smaller spice containers with lids. They're usually plastic, they have the shaker tops plus lids to keep the salt/pepper/spices from falling out all over everything.

By Meari

Editor's Note: Small spice containers are also great for putting your bulk spices in. For example, if you buy a large quanity of Cumin, just transfer it to your small Cumin spice container. It's easier to handle and already has the proper label on it.

Reusing Spice Containers

You can also unscrew the tops off your shakers and place a small piece of plastic wrap over the opening and replace the tops. This will prevent spilling in transport. Just remove the plastic wrap before using and replace before transporting again.

By Renee in TN

Reusing Spice Containers

I have often saved spice containers over the years, both glass and plastic and they are handy for many purposes. Besides using for bulk spices, they can be used for spices you grow and dry yourself. If you have one with the shaker top insert, it could be filled with baking soda to use for cleaning purposes. Last year I made up a real nice meat rub and put in a recycled spice jar and gave that to hubby on father's Day along with some BBQ recipes and such I printed from the internet. I have also used an empty plastic spice bottle for powdered laundry detergent to take on vacation. The uses are endless! (01/15/2006)

By Debbie52

Better Living Green Living ReusingAugust 7, 2012
Old Perfume Bottle
Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall, Spice rack hanging on a wall.
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall
Spice Rack
Starter Spice Rack Suggestions