San Diego, California Frugal Travel Guide

Category California
There are many things to do in sunny, southern California city. This page is about San Diego, California frugal travel guide.

I am going on a cruise in November to Ensenada, Catalina and San Diego. Any tips? I don't really want to book the cruiseline excursions as they seem a little overpriced, but would love any tips you might have for what to do and see in these cities.

Sheri from Modesto, CA

I live in San Diego and there is much to see and do within walking distance of the cruise ship port. Contact the Chamber of Commerce and ask them to send tourist info. There is a double decker bus tour and a harbor excursion, as well as Sea Port Village, Gaslamp district, close by. What you do depends on how much time you have. In Ensenada, you'll want to go to La Bufadora which is about a $5 cab ride from the port. Negotiate with the cabby before you get in, and have exact change, in US dollars is fine. In Catalina, there is a tourist office at the end of the pier, and you can choose the same tours that the cruise line will offer for likely less than 1/2 what the cruise ship will charge-choices include island tour via tram, renting golf-carts to explore on your own, glass-bottom boats (fun) and bikes to rent, as well as just shopping and wandering around. Have fun! Linda

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I have seen a lot of sunsets, but this one taken from my son's house in San Diego is one of my favorites.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

Sunset (San Diego, CA)

Comment Like this photo? 22
Anonymous

Absolutely beautiful!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Hazy Sunset in San Diego, CA

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

My Brother and I were just looking across the bay at downtown, San Diego. The fog was rolling in right as the sun was setting and I thought it was very beautiful the way all the pinks and blues mixed together.

This was a photo sent to me taken by my son a few years ago, when San Diego had some horrific forest fires. This was not too far from him.

By Elaine

Forest Fires (San Diego)

Comment Like this photo? 12

I don't understand how forest fires have anything to do with this photo. This is a spectacular sunset, exhibiting God's majesty and glory.

Thanks for sharing!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

man made lake in Chula Vista, CA

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

This man made lake in Chula Vista provides beauty and serenity to all that are privileged to visit it.

Sunset (San Diego)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 12

Having to spend several weeks in San Diego due to my father being in the hospital, this was one of the highlights of my trip. I stayed with a friend in Point Loma, CA. And this was just one of many stunning sunsets.

Panda at the San Diego zoo.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

Panda, gorilla, and flamingos at the San Diego Zoo.