San Diego, California Frugal Travel Guide

There are many things to do in sunny, southern California city. This page is about San Diego, California frugal travel guide.

September 19, 2006 Flag

I am going on a cruise in November to Ensenada, Catalina and San Diego. Any tips? I don't really want to book the cruiseline excursions as they seem a little overpriced, but would love any tips you might have for what to do and see in these cities.

Sheri from Modesto, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I live in San Diego and there is much to see and do within walking distance of the cruise ship port. Contact the Chamber of Commerce and ask them to send tourist info. There is a double decker bus tour and a harbor excursion, as well as Sea Port Village, Gaslamp district, close by. What you do depends on how much time you have. In Ensenada, you'll want to go to La Bufadora which is about a $5 cab ride from the port. Negotiate with the cabby before you get in, and have exact change, in US dollars is fine. In Catalina, there is a tourist office at the end of the pier, and you can choose the same tours that the cruise line will offer for likely less than 1/2 what the cruise ship will charge-choices include island tour via tram, renting golf-carts to explore on your own, glass-bottom boats (fun) and bikes to rent, as well as just shopping and wandering around. Have fun! Linda

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

May 19, 2011 Flag

I have seen a lot of sunsets, but this one taken from my son's house in San Diego is one of my favorites.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

Sunset (San Diego, CA)

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Absolutely beautiful!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

December 2, 2016 Flag

Photo Description
This man made lake in Chula Vista provides beauty and serenity to all that are privileged to visit it.

Photo Location
Chula Vista, CA

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Beautiful!

It looks kinda private but I hope there is an open area for visitors.

I love to watch the ducks with their families - so peaceful.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

September 11, 2011 Flag

Hazy Sunset in San Diego, CA

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

My Brother and I were just looking across the bay at downtown, San Diego. The fog was rolling in right as the sun was setting and I thought it was very beautiful the way all the pinks and blues mixed together.

April 25, 2011 Flag

Forest Fires (San Diego)

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

This was a photo sent to me taken by my son a few years ago, when San Diego had some horrific forest fires. This was not too far from him.

February 16, 2011 Flag

Sunset (San Diego)

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

Having to spend several weeks in San Diego due to my father being in the hospital, this was one of the highlights of my trip. I stayed with a friend in Point Loma, CA. And this was just one of many stunning sunsets.

May 20, 2012 Flag

Panda at the San Diego zoo.

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

Panda, gorilla, and flamingos at the San Diego Zoo.

Travel and Recreation Travel Guides US States CaliforniaApril 4, 2013
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Family in Car Leaving in Winter
Saving Money on Holiday Travel
Legoland California
California Frugal Travel Guide
San Francisco, California
San Francisco, California Frugal Travel Guide
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 25, 2017 at 1:20:46 AM on 10.0.2.145 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.