Saving Money on Food When Traveling

Eating out while traveling can get very expensive. This is a guide about saving money on food when traveling.

April 9, 2008 Flag

Our family has been fortunate to be able to travel to some pretty exciting places over the years. My travel philosophy has always been that the budget should be spent on the sights and sounds that could not otherwise be experienced at home and not so much on the food portion of the budget.

Our first attempt at cutting back on the food budget was by driving our rental car to the local grocery store and to purchase snacks and foods to keep in our hotel room. An unexpected disappointment was that the food prices were twice what we would have spent at home. On a subsequent vacation (to Disney) we were not going to have a rental car, so I shopped very frugally at home for weeks prior to leaving and filled one suitcase with sandwich spreads, pudding cups, fruit cups, and other items that would not get crushed during the flight. DH made fun of me, but at the end of the trip we had an extra empty bag for souvenirs/mementos.

For amusement parks where we would be doing a tremendous amount of walking, each family member wore a fanny pack. I absolutely despised paying $2 or more for a bottle of water, so if the park did not specifically state no outside food, we would each carry one individual bottle of water that could be refilled as needed from water fountains. If the park had restrictions, we would bite the bullet with purchasing the first one, but then refilled it as we go. The fanny pack was perfect for storing the water while on rides and for keeping mom and dad from having to carry all of those bottles for the girls.

To get a more enjoyable go for our money at the amusement parks, we would always arrive first thing in the morning (while it was a bit cooler) and vacation hard until a little bit after lunch time. In our fanny packs we always carried a snacks that could tide us over until we could get back to the hotel room to eat and rest for a bit. We found that by coming back to the hotel in the heat of the day, and when lines seemed to be the longest, we could take a nap or get cooled off and then be ready for the next go-around the park.

After eating an early supper we would head back out to the park rejuvenated, replenished, and with enthusiasm for the evenings adventures. This seemed to make so much more sense to us than all of us crashing around 3PM and only getting 6-7 hours of entertainment for our ticket price. By limiting our times to 9AM-1:30ish and then returning at 6:30-closing, we saved our energy and our budget by eating outside of the amusement park.

By amazon13 from Southwest Kansas

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

September 20, 2011 Flag

I have food allergies, so even when I am not traveling, I must be careful with what I eat. I like to take some food with me, because I may not be able to find anything I can eat in an airport or bus station.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 30, 2010 Flag

Every summer we make a 1000 mile (one way) drive back home to visit family. I always end up doing last minute shopping and spending too much money to buy snacks for travel, until this year!

Beginning the last month of school until now, I began to save the last bits of snack type foods. If there was just a handful of chips, nuts, cheese crackers, etc left in the bag, a granola bar or two, a bag of trail mix, a 100 cal snack bag, you get the picture. Anyway, I've been pouring the last bit of chips, nuts, etc. into their own sandwich or snack size bags and stored them in a container in my freezer where I also threw the last couple of cheese sticks, etc. from the fridge.

Now, we will be leaving soon and I will have a whole, huge assortment of snacks for my family to choose from without the last minute shopping headache or any added expense! Wow, wish I'd thought of this sooner!

By lyonpridej from Tulsa, OK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 2, 2005 Flag

Stay in a suite and you will be able to make meals and save money on restaurants. By Denise Mower

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 12, 2008 Flag

I've really found that it's better to buy any sandwiches or snacks you might want to eat on the plane, on the way to the airport, if you don't make them at home. It's easier on your wallet than to purchase them in the airport restaurants or vendors.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 22, 2013 Flag

We vacation in a cottage. I try to conserve on space when packing things into our compact car. Also, we try to be frugal by bringing from home as much as we can to save on grocery shopping. Prices are too high in vacation areas.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Travel and Recreation TravelApril 19, 2013
Wii console and controllers
Saving Money on a Wii
Woman With Allergies
Traveling with Allergies
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 11:35:39 AM on 10.0.0.57 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.