Saving Money on Pumpkins

Whether by the pound or each there are ways to get the most from your purchase. This guide is about saving money on pumpkins.

October 30, 2009 Flag

Be sure to check your local Walmart right after Halloween for leftover pumpkins. Many people will not buy them after Halloween and you can get them for nearly free. Last year I talked to the guy over the produce section who told me he had marked them down to a penny and they still would not sell! I picked up as many as I could carry (3) and headed for the checkout counter.

I found a great idea for beef stew in a pumpkin, where you just stick the whole thing in the oven. The uneaten leftover parts of the pumpkin were pureed to make pie filling. You can also throw the seeds out in your yard to grow your own next year!

By Imladris from Anderson, SC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

September 19, 2008 Flag

It's pumpkin season! Here are tips for saving money on pumpkins and getting the most out of the pumpkins that you purchase.

Grow Your Own

Last fall, I threw one of our old Jack O' Lanterns in my flowerbed beside the house to compost, and this year we don't have to buy pumpkins! Supposedly, volunteer plants like pumpkins don't produce fruit, but ours did! We've already picked 3 beautiful pumpkins and there are 8 more turning orange. so there's an idea for next year, at least.

By Wendopolis

Buy Misshapen Ones for Eating

Last year at our farmers market there was a seller that had quite a few pumpkins. The nicely shaped ones were quite a bit higher in price but he had a bunch of pumpkins that were misshaped for just $1. I got a couple of the $1 pumpkins, cooked and froze them for my winter baking. You might check that out.

By suzin

U-Pick Pumpkins

Pick your own. Local farms and apple orchards often have pumpkins for sale too, and often you can pick your own.

By Jantoo

Tips For Keeping Your Jack O'Lantern Longer

Be sure to keep uncarved pumpkins out of direct sunlight. Once carved, rub Vaseline on the carved areas to keep your pumpkin even longer!

By Lauracall

Turn Them Around For Thanksgiving

After carving them for Halloween, I simply turn them around and I have Thanksgiving decorations! I have done this for years. Just remember to throw them in the compost before they get too rotten!

By Shelley

Freezing Pumpkins

Pumpkins are cheap this time of year. Here's a guide to freezing pumpkins for later use:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

October 29, 2010 Flag

One way we save at Halloween is simple. We either wait until the day of to carve our pumpkins OR, we paint on the face with non toxic paint. Then the day after, we cut up the pumpkin, boil in salt water, then peel and mash when cool. I later freeze in freezer containers labeled with the correctly measured amount for what ever pumpkin pie or pumpkin recipe I want to next bake.

When my kids were younger, I mashed and froze in small amounts (usually in an ice cube tray, then transferred when frozen to a larger bag to hold all the pumpkin cubes) for baby food.

The days following Halloween are a good time to get very inexpensive pumpkins--but don't wait too long, as the prices will go back up in about a week in prep for Thanksgiving.

By mom-from-missouri from NW Missouri

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments
Budget & Finance Saving MoneyNovember 11, 2012
Carving Foam Pumpkins
Carving Foam Pumpkins
Fall decoration with pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn.
Decorating with Pumpkins
painted pumpkins
Decorating Pumpkins Without Carving Them
Cupcakes decorated as pumpkins.
Making Pumpkin Cupcakes
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 12:04:05 PM on 10.0.1.21 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.