Scratches on Leather Furniture

How do you treat scratches on leather?

Christine from England

Answers:

Scratches on Leather Furniture

I have a cat who is declawed in the front. Our vet has several declawed cats and explained to us that he removes the nerve associated with each claw so our cat can't feel that he's missing claws. He still stretches his paws in that "needing" action, and he is happy, healthy, and I don't have to worry about my furniture, my dog being scratched, or us getting scratched. I read all these horror stories discouraging declawing before we did it, and maybe not all vets are as adept at it, and not all cats react the same, but our cat is fine. For leather scratches, try a little olive oil. I saw it on the Today show. (07/24/2007)

By Kathy

Scratches on Leather Furniture

I just tried olive oil to remove scratches from my leather ottoman and it worked wonderfully! (07/27/2007)

By Carrie

Scratches on Leather Furniture

The olive oil idea was amazing! Really did work! Obviously the deep scratches are not gone but the little ones are completely covered up. Thank you for all your tips.
(07/28/2007)

By Carinna

Scratches on Leather Furniture

I tried the olive oil idea as well, and though it did help to lessen the appearance of the scratches, in natural light they are still quite visible. Any other ideas/suggestions? I'm nervous about trying the shoe polish idea. My couch is a dark brown leather with a slight reddish/brown under tone. (07/31/2007)

By Mona

Scratches on Leather Furniture

This depends what type of leather it is.
If it is an aniline style leather so the scratches are just on the surface a good leather protector should help remove the scratches.
If the surface has a pigment coating and the scratches are surface scratches in that then Easy Colour should help blend them in. If the scratches go any deeper then they will need a professional product to repair and this is best left to the experts.

http://www.LTTsolutions.net
(11/20/2007)

By Leather Agony Aunt

Scratches on Leather Furniture

Best solution for restoring scratches on leather is with an iron and damp cloth. The heat from the iron brings the oils to the surface and repairs the scratch. This works best when you put the damp cloth between the iron and the piece of furniture. (11/26/2007)

By shirley

Scratches on Leather Furniture

I just had a repair guy come and repair my leather couch that had a few scratches from the cat walking across it and then falling off and he repaired it by wiping orange oil into the leather and then wiping it off with a soft cloth and you can almost not see where the scratch was. (12/19/2007)

By Rena

Scratches on Leather Furniture

I loved Robin's answer. I knew exactly what type of leather furniture I was buying since it had scratches all over it in the show room, that is what drew me to buying it. It is meant to get distressed! I have two declawed cats and an Akita/Chow dog that are doing a fine job of making this leather distressed by the day. I will try some of the ideas for fun though! It's meant to get worn out! Shirley (01/23/2008)

By

Scratches on Leather Furniture

I have a dark purple real leather couch that I got previously owned (I wouldn't normally buy purple furniture).
I have two cats and used Murphy's Oil Soap on the scratches, the lesser scratches really covered up quite nicely, the deeper ones not as much but look less obvious.
I'm certainly not going to ever stop my cats from getting up on the furniture, they are family members.
I would try the shoe polish idea but what are my chances of finding deep purple shoe polish. (02/21/2008)

By Lee

Close up of nubuck leather with scratch marks
Repairing Scratches on Leather Furniture
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Cat laying on leather couch with claws extended toward camera
Repairing Cat Scratches on Leather Furniture
Man's hands cleaning a leather couch.
Leather Furniture Cleaner Recipes
🎉
🎄