Sewer Odor Coming From Drains

What would cause a sewer odor coming up from my drains? I live in the city and do not have a septic tank. I occasionally get the same odor from my washer. I assume its from the pipes because my laundry doesn't smell, just the entire room. Thank you.

Tonya from Arizona

Answers:

Sewer Odor Coming From Drains

Usually odor comes from dry traps in plumbing that have not been used for a while, and can be remedied by pouring water into the drains. However it sounds like you may have a broken or rusted drain pipe beyond the drain allowing gas to come out. Take a good look at your drain plumbing and perhaps where the clean out cover is, it may have come loose. Good luck and God bless. (09/10/2008)

By Chap

Sewer Odor Coming From Drains

I'm not sure what causes it, but I think I've had the same problem from time to time. Running hot water full force for 10 minutes or so from all available faucets usually takes care of it. (09/10/2008)

By ChloeA

Sewer Odor Coming From Drains

I used to get the sour water smell coming up our drains also. What I found that works is when ever you are boiling large amounts of water (for corn, pasta,etc), instead of dumping it down the kitchen sink, dump it down the sink that smells. Once is usually enough but sometimes another time or two is required. I got into the habit of rotating the sinks whenever we boiled water and we have no smells coming up. It also helps to get rid of the hair that collects. Be careful carrying the boiling water especially if you have small kids. Good Luck! (09/10/2008)

By Mel Kraft

Sewer Odor Coming From Drains

I had the same problem in my laundry room. My husband had put my drain hose for the washing machine up too high and therefore when the water pumps out, it pumps it all out and the trap is dry of water and causes the smell. A friend told us that the drain hose can only be 8 inches above the trap. We fixed that and the smell is gone. (09/11/2008)

By Sandy

Sewer Odor Coming From Drains

I live in an old house and have the same problem. The kitchen is far from the sewer pipe which is vented. A smaller vent is needed from the kitchen pipe. (09/13/2008)

By siris

Sewer Odor Coming From Drains
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Hair Clogging Drain
Preventing Clogged Drains
kitchen drain
Gurgling Drains
🎄