Sewer Smell Coming from a Garbage Disposal

Category Appliances
If you have rotten food in your garbage disposal that won't clear out, it may start to smell very badly. This is a guide about sewer smell coming from a garbage disposal.

I would like to know how to get rid of the awful odor that comes up through the garbage disposal. It smells like the sewer. I asked a plumber about it, and he said to grind up a quarter of a lime without using water every so often in the disposal. It didn't work for me. Any suggestions?

Carolyn from KS

Answers

Best Answer

Hi Carolyn,
I'd try some baking soda (about 1/2 cup) and then pour white vinegar down it until it stops fizzing. Then run the disposal with the water running. There is probably something stuck in the pipes below or below the blades that is smelling. This should help clean it out. I do this periodically with mine and it keeps it clean.
- Susan

Best Answer

Hi, When my garbage disposal smells I use 1-2 chopped up lemons (after I have used the juice for cooking) and I let the cold water run until the lemons have disappeared.

Best Answer

HI I had some problems with that and found taking off the rubber ring in the drain and turning it over---there is a lot of goop in there and cleaning that. Also I tried putting several cups of icecubes in there and running the disposal worked well and last the bleach plus the icecubes did the trick at the end. I did try all of the other methods suggested but the ones I listed worked on my stinky disposal.

Best Answer

Take a whole lemon and cut in half, take a cup of baking soda and pour into garbage diposal and add only 1/2 cup warm water to it, let sit for half an hour or more if smell is bad. Then turn disposal on and run hot water down disposal put in half lemon and wait til all chopped then add other half while still running hot water. That should take care of the smell. We use this method at my restaurant and it works wonders.

Best Answer

I have used the lemon and ice cube trick and when I am feeling lazy or in a hurry I stick one of my Electrasol tabs in it and turn it on. This also seems to help!

Best Answer

We were going nuts trying all of the suggested cleaning tricks on our disposer with no permanent solution.. smell kept coming back. I had even disconnected the dishwasher hose from the disposer knockout and reconnected to a small trap I installed in the waste line. It seemed to work for a few weeks but the stench came back. The fix was to take out the disposer, dismantle and clean the rubber parts and surfaces thoroughly as well as the stem going from the disposer to the drain pipe. You'll find lots of gross residue on everything and it smells exactly like the stench.