Soap Making

"Learning to make your own soap can be a rewarding and worthwhile experience. Not only does it teach a valuable skill that could come in handy during less than prosperous times, but I have found it to be a lot of fun. It is abundantly rewarding to use something like this that one has made himself. (Self reliance is a very good feeling.) I have also found that making my own soap from store bought raw materials is cheaper than buying it. My first bar lasted a month in the shower with my wife and myself using it - much longer than a store-bought bar of soap would have lasted."

Answers:

Soap Making

I have been making my own soap for years, it is such an enjoyable hobby. I've made many gift baskets for friends and family and it does last quite a while, plus I can make it any color or shape or scent I want. (03/14/2006)

By IMAQT1962

Soap Making

IMAQT1962, would you share your soap recipe? I would like to try soap making for gifts. (03/14/2006)

By Vicka

Soap Making

I buy 2 lb. blocks of glycerin soap (found at local craft stores or even retail stores in their craft dept), cut up soap into small pieces in a glass container (ie, coffee cup, measuring cup, etc), I use a glass measuring cup myself because it is easier to pour. Melt the soap in the microwave about 30-45 seconds or until it is melted. Pour into soap mold and add a few drops of coloring (this is dye made especially for soap), and if you wish add some drops of scented oil (again this is scents made for soap, and can be found wherever you obtain your glycerin soap).

Then I take a toothpick and give it a swirl or two to mix it. Let sit at least 30 minutes or until the soap has hardened. Flip it over and gently pop it out of the mold. You can add things like plastic spiders, etc. to the soap but it needs to be done as soon as you pour soap into the mold. (03/15/2006)

Soap Making

Thanks for the instructions! I am going to make this for gifts for some friends and my grandchildren. I can see all sorts of unique, personalizing, color coordinated, possibilities. And especially for those little guys who don't want to spend ANY time scrubbing their hands. (03/15/2006)

By Vicka

Soap Making

Vicka, I forgot to sign in when I posted the instructions but wanted to let you know who had posted them in case you had any questions. (03/16/2006)

By imaqt1962

Soap Making

IMAQT1962, thanks. The instructions are very clear and I appreciate it. (03/16/2006)

By Vicka

Soap Making
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Making Soap on a Rope, Heart Shaped Soap on a Rope
Making Soap on a Rope
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎄