Starting a Weeping Willow from a Cutting

My daughter had to cut down her weeping willow after it was destroyed in a storm. We noticed that the cut logs and branches were starting to sprout. Can a new tree be started from these and, if so, how?

By Kate

Best Answer

You can just cut off one of the shoots and put it in water, or plant it, but it must be kept pretty damp till it takes root. It will grow with no problem. We have done this several times, they are pretty easy to get going. Good luck.

I would guess, and I am only guessing, stick the branches in the ground and give them plenty of water. I would do several as some won't survive, but willows are tough.

I've cut branches from a willow and just stuck them in a bucket of water until they rooted. I did this in the spring because of our very cold winters. Hope this helps.

My husbands Grandmother has started willows by cutting a branch and placing it in water until it had good root development. They have always survived once planted.

Just cut clean off broken branches and plenty of regrowth will follow, even if close to ground. Close to ground a "coppice" tree results and when cut higher up a "pollard" results when the new shoots are cut every one or few years. The pollard stem gets wider and wider as time goes on. And every new shoot can be used to made a new tree of as explained.