Support Groups for Parents Who Have Lost an Adult Child

I'm needing help to find a support group or someone to talk to that is going thru the same thing that I am going thru at this time. I just lost my daughter (29) in April. She had just given birth a week earlier to a girl, and she left behind, 2 other girls ages 5 and 11 and a husband that is struggling.

I need someone to talk to/or write to that may be going thru something similar or who has gone thru it. I'm in desperate need.

Please anything that you can share with me would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks again readers.

By Teresa C. from VA

Best Answer

Hi Teresa,

I found a few other grief organizations that are recommended by the New England Organ Bank:

Alive Alone:; an organization which benefits bereaved parents whose only child or all children are deceased.

Bereaved Parents of the USA:; an organization that offers support, compassion, and hope to bereaved parents, grandparents, and siblings.

One Bright Star:; offering resources and support for families who have experienced the death of a child.

For your grandchildren:

The Douggy Center for Grieving Children:; 866-775-5683

an organization which provides loving support in a safe place where children, teens, and young adults and their families grieving a death can share their experiences as they move through the healing process. They have a National Center for Grieving Children and Families, too.

"When a Parent Dies" advice from Hospice:

"Helping Children Cope with Grief and Loss":

Mister Rogers See booklet, Grieving for Children, for ages 4-10.

My heart goes out to you and your family. I hope you know a lot of people are thinking about you all. :)

I'm so sorry for your loss. There is a support group called Compassionate Friends that you might look into. They are geared to people in your situation. You might ask at your church or check with social service organizations in your area to see if there is a group where you are. My heart goes out to you, and I wish you well.

Hi Teresa, I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family. I looked up grief counseling on Google, and found an article which reviewed online grief groups at They said these were the best: (Also recommended by moseley3)

P.S. Also check with your local hospital, sometimes they have grief groups.

May they offer you some help and maybe some peace. All my best.

I'm so sorry for your loss especially of a child; grief hurts whether the child is 2 or 22! Check with your local churches for a support group entitled "GriefShare" or go online and check it out I have gone to the GriefShare seminar for 4 sessions completing the course each time and the healing in my mind, body and spirit is phenomenal.

My prayers are with you.

Dear Teresa, I'm very very sorry for your loss. There's no words to say to make it better or to even ease the pain. I'm only 30 years old, but I have lost a child. The loss of a child is felt deeply and no one can make it better. We have to get through it on our own; though groups do help, like was said in another post. Hospitals have good ones. Just by typing in "support groups for the loss of a child" should get you some kind of help online.

I am not over the loss of my dear Emily. Thankfully, I'm blessed with my ten year old son, Jacob. He's my angel, but Emily is always near by my heart and some days are good and some are bad. One day at a time. We'll never fully get over the loss; you never do. We learn how to deal with it everyday.

I'm not religious. I'm more spiritual, but I believe in God and I truly believe your daughter is watching over you in heaven. One day you will all be together:) I didn't mean to get all religious, its just my beliefs.

You take care, and I hope God blesses you and yours. I hope you get the help you need. Once again I'm very sorry for your loss. Don't forget, I'm here to talk to you if you like, anytime!

I am so sorry for your loss. You might ask your doctor if he or she knows of a group (grief) your area. Or check with your local hospital they might have grief counseling. Please let us know how you're doing. There are people hear that care. God bless you and your family.

I asked my foster mom (before she passed away at 82, what was the hardest thing she had ever gone thru and without a pause she said, "the loss of my 2l year old son just the day after his lst baby was born." She went on to tell me that if she hadn't had God in her life she couldn't have done it. It is Christ that gives you the strength to get through it and live. Yes I said live. Live for the baby and husband and most of all for you.

It will take time and time will still never take away the hurt, it just gets livable with time. God has not forgotten you and you mustn't forget that even though what you feel and see seems to say something different.

Teresa, I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine. :(

Along with the other helpful ideas, I would contact your personal physician and see if they can refer you to a therapist or group counseling that is covered by your insurance. I know lots of people who have received temporary support in this way.

All my best to you and your family.

May your daughter rest in peace. I am praying for you and your daughter's husband and family. May god give all you comfort and strength during this difficult times. Try to check call some hospitals as for a social worker to see if they can suggest any support group. I can feel your pain.

I do know what you are feeling, We are 69 years old and have six children, our daughter Donna was 45 and had five children, the youngest one 6 years old. We lost her on March 10, 2013 from cancer. Up to a month before she passed away we all had hope but never got it. She put up a great fight for over a year only to loose in the end. I can't seem to have a good day anymore, my head feels like it is going to explode.

I try to remember the good times but then the bad ones get in. I am just waiting for the day when I can be a little more normal again, but instead I am just waiting to be with her. I am so thankful for my big family that we can all grieve together, I hope you have that support too. Bless you and your family.

Woman and Her Adult Daughter
Being a Parent to Adult Children
Better Living CommunityJune 12, 2011
Writing a child support check.
Paying Back Child Support
child support paperwork
Are Siblings Accountable for Back Child Support?
A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
Child Support Worksheet
Getting Remarried and Child Support