To Top

Tiny Bugs in My House

I have tiny bugs all over my house. They are like book lice and are in everything I look at, kids toys, even in my drawers. When I want to wear a top I inspect it and there is a tiny bug in it, it's making me feel disgusted. Help me please.


By Angelcake from UK


Tiny Bugs In My House

Tiny bugs. Don't know what a book mite looks like, but will google it when I'm done.

Best bet for starters. Throw out everything in every room not needed, old, unused, from newspapers, magazines, cereal boxes, clothing etc. Wash anything washable you want to keep. Make a warm water, soap, bleach solution and wipe down everything which can be wiped in every room. Dust all areas. Put an old t shirt on a broom and wipe corners of all walls, behind furniture, under furniture, and ceiling corners. If you have a very old piece of furniture, with cloth, foam or stuffing, consider tossing it out. Same for any old cushions, pillows, quilts, anything that might be nest areas. Same with old plants which might have dead leaves, branches, etc.


Decaying houseplants can harbor quite the colonies of bugs, which I didn't know until this summer myself. Had a bunch of plants in a planter on front porch, most of them died while I was gone, from being over watered by someone trying to be a helper. I didn't think to toss them, gnat type things everywhere. It took us a lot of cleaning, poking, tossing, and reading on web, to figure out where they were coming from. Who knew?

Bugs like dusty, crumbly, spider webby areas, and they make even more of the same. Sometimes all it takes is a little piece of decaying fruit left somewhere by a child.

I don't like bug sprays. Over the years they are very damaging to our bodies, especially to children. So I just try to handle it the old fashioned way. Takes more time, but then you know where everything in your house is, you find things you lost, and you feel good. (08/25/2009)


Tiny Bugs in My House

Please look into Collembola (Springtails). They were never considered a human parasite and some biologists still don't believe it, but they are. I know as I have felt biting and found them on my skin. They love damp warm areas and typically feed on fungus and bacteria. For some unknown reason, they make their way indoors and start feeding on people. Many biologists are now accepting that they do feed on certain humans. I had a small amount of toe nail fungus on my toenail. I don't know if that was what attracted them to me in the first place or not, but to say it's been a nightmare is an understatement.


I am currently looking into getting new windows (they are old and have mold on them), and I was told to get rid of all moisture sources in the house. I may very well buy a dehumidifier in each room. I find apple cider vinegar does a great job killing them. I actually add it to my bath water every night when I soak before bed to help with the biting sensations.

Best of luck. I am dealing with this horrific problem as well. (08/28/2009)

By brat789456

Tiny Bugs in My House

I have the same issue as far as using anything toxic. I have pets and a five year old boy so I don't want to use anything toxic either. I read somewhere that mint oil like peppermint oil is a great miticide/pesticide. I also find tea tree oil good as well, but I wound up purchasing Kleen Green because I know tea tree oil is toxic to cats so I use it on myself, but don't want to be spraying that stuff where my cat can get it.

Tea tree oil also has been known to cause breast enlargement in males if used for a prolonged period of time. Because I am female I use it as I don't need to worry about that. I have also found that any kind of orange cleaner kills live bugs. I had an ant problem and sprayed them with a naturally orange cleaner product I bought at the grocery store and they died instantly.

Also, I use Borax and vacuum frequently. Borax will get on the little buggers feet and when they clean themselves it causes them to dehydrate and die. Sprinkle on your carpets. Let sit and vacuum up very well. It is non-toxic, but in my opinion, I don't know how good it is for animals to be sitting in it if you don't vacuum it up, it may cause skin irritation because it is "salty." I even sprinkled it on my mattress, let it sit and vacuumed it up.

The Kleen Green says that its enzymes eat away at the bugs outer protective coating in order to get inside and kill them and it is non-toxic. You could bathe in it and use it on pets as well. I just bought it so I can't say much about it yet as I haven't used it long enough. It's a bit pricey. If anything at this point, it makes me feel like I am doing something productive, but that will remain to be seen. Good luck! (08/30/2009)

By brat789456

Tiny Bugs in My House

To Angelcake from the UK: The tiny bugs that look like lice can also be bird lice that come from bird nests, like swallows, that are anywhere on a house. Birds are loaded with lice and so are their nests. The lice leave the nests and enter the house anywhere there is even the smallest crack, usually around windows and window sills. They will go away when the nests are removed. (08/30/2009)

By Barb.

Tiny Bugs in My House

Boric Acid. Sprinkle it in places that pets cannot get. The bugs crawl in it, and take it back to their nest, and all die. (08/30/2009)

By Acajudi

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
German nymph
Tiny Bugs In My House
October 19, 2010
Light colored couch in a living room.
Identifying Tiny Jumping Bugs on My Couch
A woman holding a blue fly swatter.
Tiny Flying Insects in Your House
bug next to a penny
Getting Rid of Tiny Biting Black Bugs
Getting Rid of Fruit Flies, Fruit Fly on Apple
Getting Rid of Fruit Flies
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/08/14 18:35:11 in 571 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!