Tiny Holes In Clothing

Is there a connection between front loading washers and tiny holes in T-shirts?

Leslie from Columbus, OH

Answers:

Tiny Holes In Clothing

Are the holes in front about waist high? My guys have ALWAYS had little holes there and I finally decided it was because that area rubs on the front fasteners of their pants. No difference for us in our old top load and new front load. (06/25/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Tiny Holes In Clothing

Make sure you are zipping up all zippers and buttons because with front loaders the clothes rub together. (06/25/2008)

By THATSKELLY

Tiny Holes In Clothing

No. I have a top loading washer and have tiny holes all through my t-shirts! Very annoying! I embroider small flowers over the holes in my granddaughter's t-shirts and she loves them. No one else in her class has the same shirt! (06/25/2008)

By catastrofy

Tiny Holes In Clothing

It is probably from using too much bleach, or using bleach too often, which eats through clothes over time and weakens and destroys the fibers. (06/26/2008)

By Anita

Tiny Holes In Clothing

I was told that on the more inexpensive t shirts, the little holes are where the machine making them starts a new thread. They unravel a little at that point and, I don't know if this is true or not, but my more expensive t-shirts don't seem to have the little hole problem. (06/26/2008)

By katklaw777

Tiny Holes In Clothing

I have the same frustrating issue of tiny holes in the front waist line of my t shirts, which happened within the last month. Same washer/dryer so that's not the issue. Then I thought "moths!", but it's not all my clothes, and they usually don't attack cotton, and how can it be a coincidence that the bugs would always eat the same place on the T shirts. Is it my seatbelt?

I've "lost" 7 shirts over the past few weeks, some cheap, some expensive, some new, some are old. I think it might be my detergent. I've read that biological detergents with enzymes (purposes of the enzymes is to break down protein, starches and fat that may be found in dirt and stains upon clothing to be laundered, for example food stains, sweat or mud) might attack shirts, specifically proteins on a shirt, so if you have a bit of silk or a splatter of grease or a bit of wool in a T shirt, the enzymes can differentiate a stain from the fabric of the shirt, so it attacks & causes the hole. I've tried to become more "environmentally friendly" using non-toxic, natural laundry detergent, but I think this is the cause of my holes in my T shirts. So, I'm switching back to tide, getting some new shirts, and hoping for the best. (08/18/2008)

By Sarah

I have been having the same problem. Tiny holes in the front bottom of my shirts. I have read most of the comments on this subject and can tell you that I have always had a top loading washer so it is not because you have a front loader. The problem had started when I had the quartz countertops in the kitchen installed. It feels smooth so I don't know if it is just a coincidence or not. The holes are right where you would lean up to do the dishes. I have been wearing an apron now but the holes are still appearing. It cannot be the washer because none of my husband's clothes are affected. My other thoughts were moths...I used the two different traps and nothing. No moths flying, nothing in the traps. There are clothes hanging in the closet with no holes and also in the drawers. Have cedar, chips, etc.. hanging in there also. Then I thought, the cat lays in my lap and kneads with her nails in my shirt. Could it be that? I started throwing a blanket over my shirt when she lays on my lap...still new holes. Could it be the cheap material they are using? Why are the holes always only in the same area? If it was a moth or bug problem...again, why only are the holes in the same limited area? I really doubt it could be the seat belts. If it was a seat belt problem, then why doesn't my husband and daughter have this problem? The detergent I am using, I have used for years. Again, if it were the detergent, why aren't the holes everywhere and not just in the one same area? Maybe we need a professional to seriously look into this problem. I would welcome them to come and research my closet, drawers, countertop, seat belts, etc... This is crazy and everybody has thoughts on it but NOBODY really knows...or do they? Maybe the clothes manufacturers are making more money because we have to keep buying more clothes because of the little holes that are front and center for everyone to see. Of course, that is probably silly to think that way because still, they are only in the one small area. This just happened again today to me. Brand new shirt that I just put on after being freshly washed for the very first time. Five new holes right in the lower front of the shirt! So very frustrating!

I have gotten the tiny holes in the front area of my shirts from my top loading washer. They were not there before I washed this particular load, and 3 of the shirts in that load came out with the patch of holes. I know most of the blame as been towards the washer, but is there a chance the dryer is to blame?

Close up of a small hole in a grey t-shirt
Tiny Holes In Clothing
Drilling Holes in Glass
Drilling Holes in Glass
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Man wearing a white t-shirt.
Repairing a Cotton T-Shirt
Man Putting Spackling Paste is Hole in Wall
Filling Nail Holes in a Wall
🎄