Tips for Greasing Pans

Category Baking
Tips for Greasing Pans
There are a number of tried and true methods for greasing your baking pans. This is a guide about tips for greasing pans.

Parchment paper is the cook's friend. It keeps food from sticking to baking pans, eliminates having to soak in dish water to clean, and also is healthier for you. No need to add oil or nonstick sprays to your bake ware.

By carlanwright01 from Crane, MO

I buy a roll of parchment paper and use it to line my cake pans when baking layer cakes. No need to grease the pan.

In some of my idle time, I tear off a piece about 2 feet square and fold it in half on the diagonal. I then take my cake pan and draw around it with a pencil. Cut out 2 circles at once with scissors, cutting slightly inside the drawn line. I do this to the whole roll or as much as time permits, then they are ready whenever I'm ready to bake.

After baking and cooling for 10 minutes, I run a butter knife around the inside of the pan to loosen the sides and flip out onto my hand. The paper peels off easily. This also works with thin brown paper bags if you can get them.

By kraftykaren from Mobile, AL

I save all the wrappers from sticks of butter and keep them in a zipper bag in my freezer. When you need to butter a cake pan or casserole dish, just take out a butter wrapper. There is usually enough butter left on the wrapper to coat your pan.

To butter your baking pans easily, and with less mess, use a frozen stick of butter. Just unwrap the end of the stick and run it around your pan. In a few seconds the stick will become soft enough to deposit just enough grease for your pan. Keep a well wrapped stick in the freezer just for this purpose.

Do silicone pans need to be greased? I'm using my little ones for the first time to make molten lava cakes and I want to make sure they come out properly. Thank you for your help - what a great site this is.

Marianne

The silicon baking pans absolutely must be greased!

I sprayed Pam in my silicone muffin pan and they still stuck. What did I do wrong?

I do a lot of baking and make all my own bread. For greasing pans, I keep a container half full with shortening and I keep a small plastic baggy inside. When I am ready to grease my bread pan, I slip my hand into the bag , grease my pan, I then slip my hand back out of the bag and leave it there for the next time. One little baggy lasts quit a while. No more greasy hands and it is much easier to grease the entire pan, including corners.

By June from Toronto,Canada

If you are making a recipe that requires you to grease the pan and one of the ingredients is oleo (margarine). I grease the pan with the oleo wrapper. There is always some that sticks to the paper when unfolding the oleo. Saves time and money.

By Mary

When preparing a pan for baking and the recipe calls to grease and flour the pan, save your butter paper when you unwrap butter and put them in the freezer in a ziploc bag so you can just wipe them on the pan. Use powdered sugar to flour your pans. It not only adds a special taste to the cake but won't leave a white crown on the top of the item you cooked. The best part is, I have never had a cake or quick bread stick.

By J Walker from Salt Lake City Utah