Tips for Using Sewing Patterns

Category Patterns
Using sewing patterns can offer you access to numerous projects, as well as a jumping off place for your own alterations. This is a guide about tips for using sewing patterns.

My subject is sewing patterns. I was making a lot of hats for my granddaughters so what I did was I took iron on interfacing and ironed it onto the pattern to make it last longer.

Close up of a sewing pattern.

This is a guide about using ConTact paper for protecting sewing patterns. Sewing pattern paper is very thin and can easily be damaged, especially if the pattern is used multiple times.

I use leftover holiday wrapping paper all year long in my sewing room. I hate working with flimsy tissue paper patterns so I lay them out on the white back of the wrapping paper and transfer them with a Sharpie (it bleeds through the tissue). The new paper patterns are easier to fold and store and last through many more foldings than tissue. And I don't have to pay for special pattern tracing paper!

By Amy

This is such a good tip! The paper available for sale in sewing centres is too expensive to buy, and I have used everything from left over holiday wrap to brown paper bags to trace off patterns trying to save money.

I think I'll be buying after-holiday sales wrapping paper now. I teach sewing from my home and will pass the idea onto my students, too.

Have a sewing pattern that you use over and over? Apply a fusible interfacing to the pattern and it will last much longer.

By Mike from Cabot, VT

I was just thrilled when I ran across this source on the web! For those of you who are sick and tired of Simplicity and McCalls patterns, here's a link to an independent pattern maker. Sew something well-fitting and unusual!

By Cyinda from near Seattle

Great site! Thanks for sharing.

This is for people who sew. I buy those multiple size patterns for many of my granddaughter's garments. I cut out the pattern pieces to the largest size. Then I cut across the cutting line at several places around the pattern.

Tips and ideas for using sewing patterns. Post your ideas.

Is anyone aware of any groups for trading, exchanging, or loaning sewing patterns? I've just returned to sewing after a 20 year hiatus and I can't believe how expensive patterns are now!

By mormor from Des Moines, IA

I see that Des Moines has a Hobby Lobby store. They always run their ad in the Sunday newspaper. I noticed today that this week all of their McCalls patterns are 99 cents each. In a few weeks they will do the same with their Simplicity patterns. Just plan ahead and buy your patterns when they are on sale. Just remember that Hobby Lobby is not open on Sunday. Happy Sewing!

As I read this "wanted" post. I almost thought it was mine from another site...lol. I too, after 20 some years have gone back to sewing and I too find patterns to be outrageous, what a great way to get patterns should anyone have some used ones for sale, or trade. I would use 8/10/12 pattern! Thank you for your time!

Yahoo groups have several swapping and trade buy groups. Here is a few:

http://groups.y  up/ADollarOrLess

CraftersSellingandSeekersofCrafts

http://groups.y  line-Garage-Sale

http://groups.y  up/SewItsForSale

http://groups.y  up/WasteNothing/

Just go to yahoo or groups.yahoo.com and type in and search and join

I have sold and trade my extra fabric, patterns, books and yarn there. Hope this helps.

Often JoAnn Fabrics has patterns on special $2.00(Butterick & Simplicity)-$3.95 for Vogue. You can always use a 40% off coupon in the ads they mail to you or printed from the internet. Have fun.

Advice for using sewing patterns again for different sizes.

Trace On Tissue

I am the mother of quads. The girls are not the same size. So when I buy a pattern of different sizes, I trace it onto tissue paper. I use these to cut out the material and the original is left intact. I just get white tissue paper from the dollar store. Have fun.

By Quads

Tracing a Pattern Instructions

I use one ply of white tissue wrapping paper. Open up the pattern and iron it flat. Put the pattern on a hard surface. A kitchen table works. Iron the tissue paper if need be. Then lay the tissue paper over the original pattern using flat pins if needed and use a soft dull pencil to trace the size pattern you are wanting to use. Do not use to much pressure. Be gentle with the pencil. After you become confident you can even use a large tip pen, but not a marker as it may sometimes run. Laying the tissue over the pattern and the motion of rubbing it gently over the original to straighten it out sometimes causes static electricity and the tissue will stay where you put it. You can put every mark you need on the pattern. The traced pattern will last forever if used properly.

By Jacqueline

Just Fold It

Believe it or not, I just fold it on the cutting line needed. Where it curves, I just fold where I can, and carefully cut the curves. I've done this for years, and I have never had to spend time tracing.

By Laura in NH

Use Brown Paper Bags

When I get a new pattern, I immediately transfer the pieces to brown paper shopping bags. They are cheap and plentiful and durable. Write on each piece the corresponding pattern information right away.

By CHEAPERTHANCHEAP

Lightweight Pelon

I have used lightweight pelon (interfacing purchased by yard) for this purpose for years. Get the thinnest available, place it over the pattern and just trace. This type of pattern is very easy to use and can be used many times over.

By Kathryn

I also trace the pattern onto a piece of lightweight pelon then bond it to a lightweight light colored cotton material and transfer lines and markings to the cotton with a thin sharpie marker. It makes for a much sturdier pattern than you can use over and over without tearing it up. I also bond lightweight pellon to all of the pattern pieces that I'm going to use more than once just to keep them sturdy.

By MsMischf

Tracing Advice

Like the others say, use tissue paper, or go to a office place, Office Depot or Office Max, and get drafting paper in rolls, 36" wide as long as you can see through it. There also is Nancy's Notions that have transfer paper on a roll. Its not as wide as it should be, 24" wide if my memory serves right. So for some patterns you'll have to add on more paper to get more width - this also works with tissue paper Do this by using the iron on rolls of glue:

Overlap your paper (tissue), put the strip of glue between them and iron them together then trace the bigger pattern without having pieces of it. We have a old table which has 3 leaves in, so to make it smooth I put a BIG piece of tag board or poster board on it, and hide it behind a china cabinet when not in use.

For what to trace with, I use a Sharpie fine point permanent marker. Yes it does go through some, yet if you keep the marker moving it won't be that bad. It's going slow or leaving it in one area too long that will really leave the marks. Practice first with tissue paper over an open part of pattern to see what will happen. If you don't care for it - use a DARK PENCIL.

When the tracing of the lines, dots, arrows, diamonds, etc., (all very important things) are in their places. REMOVE your traced pattern, put it over a sheet of paper (which will be thrown away) and with marker, write the necessary things: Pattern name and #, size, what it is, front, back and so on.

I have done this for 25 + years and it works great. I also use a 6"x9" white envelop to hold each pattern size individually. Put the information on front with a picture, if possibe. I've been using the same ones for my Grandchildren now as I used for my own kids!

Hope this is of help to you

By Moonbeam

Feel free to share your ideas below.

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned tracing paper and a tracing wheel. Did I miss it somehow? Using the original pattern, gently pin your pattern to the fabric (inside the areas you'll need to trace). Place a strip (I cut mine into long strips) of washable tracing paper in between them, face down, between the pattern and the fabric. Then you use your wheel to go over the proper pattern lines.

My grandmother used one and they taught that in my home-ec class back in '82. Do they even have home-ec anymore? LOL! I know they still have tracing paper and pattern wheels because I saw them just the other day.

In my opinion it's the most economical and precise way of doing it. Works like a charm!