Tips on Introducing Two Cats

I have just recently move to a new apartment and I have a 2 year old cat. I have taken her with me to two other apartments. She is fixed and has always been exposed to other cats. My last two roommates both had cats and she got along fine with them.

Now I am in my own place and I didn't want her to be lonely so I went to the shelter and adopted a new kitten. I had only lived in my new place for 3 days when I got the kitten. They cannot seem to get along. I have separated them, punished them and still nothing.

At first the older cat was mean and hissed and scared the little one, now the little one (who is also fixed) growls and hisses and the big cat attacks him constantly. I called my vet and he suggested cat therapy, but I thought that there could be another option? Please help?

Amanda

Answers:

Tips on Introducing Two Cats

Adding a new member to your feline family is usually more exciting for you than your current cat. Even though they are solitary by nature, most cats eventually learn to accept or at least tolerate newcomers. Because they are very territorial, the way you go about introducing the new cat to your existing cat can mean the difference between success or"cat-astrophe".

The introduction process can take as little as 10-12 days for kittens and very young cats, to as long as 12 weeks for older cats. It all depends on each cat's personality. Be sure to give your "first" cat plenty of attention. This will help him feel secure that he is not in competition for your affection.

Confine your new cat to a "safe" room until the introduction process is complete. This should be a small room, such as a bathroom or small bedroom that your current cat rarely visits. Furnish it with a bed, scratching post, food, water, and litter box.

In the beginning, your first cat may hiss and yowl at the cat on the other side of the door. Just ignore him and walk away. Never punish him for vocalizing aggressively, it will only cause trouble between the two cats. Be sure to praise and pet your first cat when he acts calmly when near the new cat's room.

After a few days, take a rag or washcloth and rub it over your new cat as you pet and play with her. Use a different rag to do the same thing with your first cat. At feeding time, put each cat's scented rag under the other cat's bowl. This will help them associate the other cat's scent with something positive-food. Lots of little feedings each day will help them get used to the smell more quickly. Be sure to renew the scent on the rags each day.

Next, you can feed them in closer proximity. Keep your new cat in her "safe" room with the door firmly closed, and place each cat's dish on their side of the door. Be sure to feed them at the same time. Once they both eat with no growling or hissing, you can move to the next level of the introduction.

Close your first cat in a room he likes to frequent, making sure he has water, some favorite food and a litter box. Let your new cat out to explore the house. After a few hours, put her back in her room and let your first cat out. He will probably hiss and fuss when he smells another cat's scent in his territory. Again, be patient and praise him when he acts calmly. Repeat this activity at least once a day until both cats seem comfortable.

Before you let the cats have full access to one another, let them come face to face in a safe situation. Use two hard plastic doorstops to jam the door to the new cat's room open a mere 2-3 inches. Check that the door can't be pushed open any further, and that neither cat can get its head through the opening. The object is to give them a chance to swat paws at one another and even go nose to nose without the opportunity for full body contact. Feed each cat on their respective side of the door. Once they no longer hiss or growl at one another, you can try playing with both of them in the same room.

About The Author:

Copyright 2005, Kathy Burns-Millyard. This article is provided courtesy of MyPetAnimals.com - http://www.mypetanimals.com - a large and growing pet website featuring articles, tips, advice and shopping for popular pet supplies, toys and accessories. This article may be freely published on any website, as long as the author, copyright, website address and link, and this notice are left intact. (08/04/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Tips on Introducing Two Cats
A man introducing his dog to a father and child.
Introducing Your Dog to New People
Rescued Dog
Introducing a Rescued Dog to Resident Pets
Two cats being introduced to one another.
Tips for Introducing Cats
Dog with Cat
Introducing a Dog to Resident Cats
🎄
🍂
🎃
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 31, 2016 at 10:17:23 PM on 10.0.1.148 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.