Tomato Plants Not Producing Fruit

Category Vegetables
There are lots of leaves, but no tomatoes. This guide is about tomato plants not producing fruit.

There are small, fuzzy flowers that have developed all over my large tomato plant, but they are not turning into fruit. In all my years of tomato growing I have never seen this before!

You may have to pollinate by hand. You also need to look for suckers between the branches and take them off.

Here is a guide to hand pollination:

https://www.gar  ate-tomatoes.htm

I planted a cutting made from an Anna heritage tomato plant. The plant is loaded with blossoms, but no tomatoes.

By Don from Fresno, CA

Best Answer

Sorry if I do not understand your question but the fruits are not independant from the flowers. Tomato flowers become fruits just like strawberry flowers become strawberries. If your tomato plant is loaded with flowers you just have to wait. Just cut off the top of the plant to make it bushier.

Hope this help!

Catherine

Best Answer

While it's true tomato flowers become fruit, they must first be pollinated. Do you spray your garden? If there are no bugs at all in the garden, your tomatoes won't be pollinated unless you do it by hand. My daughter hates bugs and has the same problem, which is wild considering I am an avid organic gardener. No pesticides in my garden. Good luck

It may be due to the heat. Some heritage tomato plants are fussier than others.

I am growing tomatoes in a container but have plants over 5 feet tall and only one tomato so far. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

Gerry

Best Answer

Another thing you might check is to see if you need to "sucker" your tomato plant. Look between the main stem and branches that are growing off of it. If there are new branches growing in the crotch of the main stem and the first initial branch, you might want to pinch these off or "sucker' them. This will force your plant to set blossoms and then fruit because it will know "it is done growing." We try to leave five to eight initial branches and then begin suckering all the new starts. Our tomato plants are loaded with good viable fruit.

Best Answer

Overwatering also causes the plants to grow big with few tomatoes. That is what happened to me when I planted mine in a flower bed and then watered them along with the flowers. You can wait to water until the plants just start to wilt. It might be only once a week, depending on your weather.

Don't get bees! I just read Tomatoes are wind pollinated, not by bees!

Why are my tomato plants growing, but not producing fruit?

By Sandy F

Best Answer

Could be lack of bees to pollinate plants.

It could be your tomatoes are planted in soil that is nutrient poor. Do you rotate your crops or just replant tomato's yr after yr in the same place? Also, have you been putting calcium into the soil? Lack of calcium will effect how many tomato's your plant produces and cause end rot as well.

I have very healthy looking tomato plants with plenty of flowers, but have yet too see any fruit. It is the middle of July and do not understand why my tomatoes are not producing any fruit yet. The plants are all very healthy looking. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

By Sharon

Best Answer

If you are having a hot summer, just be patient. Most varieties of tomatoes won't set fruit if the nights do not cool off enough. Keep the plants healthy, and once things cool off a bit, you will get fruit.

If there are no bees to cross pollinate, you won't have any tomatoes!

Tomato plants are self pollinating.

We have a small tomato plant garden with 4 heirloom tomato plants planted about 18 inches apart. The plants have grown well and produced flowers, but have only produced 5 tomatoes.

We have shaken the plants and used cotton tipped Q-tips to pollinate the flowers, but this has not produced any results. We would appreciate any suggestions for getting a few tomatoes this season. We live in the 4 corners area of New Mexico and have used a watering schedule for the plants through out the drought in our area. Help.

By Ron

How hot has it been? Tomatoes don't tend to set fruit when it is hot for a very long spell.

I have planted seeds for cherry tomatoes in pots. I have lots of blossoms, but no tomatoes. Can you help?

By Joan from Southport, NC

Answer Was this helpful? 2

My tomatoes are big and healthy and have some bloom, but no fruit. Everything else in the garden is great.

By Cleta

I have 2 tomato plants growing in my garden, next to each other. One is a Better Boy red tomato plant, and the other is a yellow tomato plant. They are both big and healthy, no signs of any damage or sick leaves. The red tomato plant has at least 20 tomatoes right now, and the yellow tomato plant has not produced any tomatoes at all. Just wondering what could be wrong? the plant appears completely healthy otherwise. It did produce a few flowers, not many, but they died off fairly quickly.

By Gina from Cincinnati, OH

My tomato plants are very healthy, but have not produced fruit.

By Pam from Jacksonville, FL

Answers:

Tomato Plants Not Producing Fruit

Mix 1/8 cup of Epson salt with 1 gallon of water and give them a drink. Tomatoes thrive on magnesium. (05/26/2010)

By bkvander

Tomato Plants Not Producing Fruit

Last year my tomato plants were healthy as could be, but I wasn't getting any tomatoes. I found out that I was watering them too much. Also they were very leafy and so I cut a lot of the leaves off and lo-and-behold they started producing tomatoes. Give it a try. (05/26/2010)

By Jamessgirl

My tomatoes are blooming, but not setting fruit. Please help.

By Ingrid

Answers:

Tomato Plants Not Producing Fruit

I believe this usually happens if they are not getting enough sun and too much water. I think it is a little early to grow tomatoes. I usually buy plants in April (I am in Santa Monica, which I think is zone 11?) and get fruit in mid-July. (02/24/2010)

By gamehen

My tomato plants are blooming, but no tomatoes are forming.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By bluehen from TN

Answers:

Tomato Plants Not Producing Fruit

We live on the north shore of MA and have had a lot of rain. We are having the same problem. I found out that because we had so much rain the bees were not able to pollinate the flowers thus no fruit.

Nancy Mc (07/26/2009)

By handicapped91

Tomato Plants Not Producing Fruit

I feel your pain. I live in FL but would imagine the circumstances are the same. One, it could be lack of pollination, in which case, take a small artist brush and pollinate the flowers yourself. It could be too much rain, it could be nighttime temperatures are too hot, or too cool. For a desert plant tomatoes certainly are temperamental. Hope this helps. (07/26/2009)

By maleesh

Tomato Plants Not Producing Fruit

I live in Oklahoma and have had tomato plants in my gardens every year for what seems like forever. If I don't plant them in the veggie garden, I plant them in bare spots around my house foundation. There are a few things that have worked well for me over the years.

One is that when the plants bloom, but the tomatoes don't set on, you can take a broom handle down close to the main stem and do what my grandmother always said: "Beat it with the broom". You don't beat it so hard that you'll break the main stem or even any leaves. You just basically give it a few good thumps. I don't know what it is or what it does to the plant, but it works.

The 2nd is to keep them watered, but don't water them so late in the day that the leaves don't have time to dry before the sun goes down, otherwise you eventually get a mold and rot. And lastly, I know that when the weather gets super hot (we were in the 110's a few weeks ago), no matter what I do to them, the plants will not set on fruit. Don't worry though, because once it cools down a bit, I'm going to have more tomatoes than I can even give away.

A little secret for having bumper crops of tomatoes: Plant tomatoes in hilled rows that have been covered with straw and allow to grow on the ground. Plant carrots between the tomato rows and you will have sweeter carrots and tomatoes to sell when the neighbors get tired of them and you've put away so many that you're sick of them. (08/02/2009)

By Juanita S.

Tomato Plants Not Producing Fruit

First, no tomatoes will set fruit if the temps are above 90. Tomatoes are self pollinating so all you need to do is shake the plants once in a while to pollinate them.

Once every 2 or 3 months give them a shot of Epsom salts, 3 TBSP in 1 gallon of warm water, you can add it to Miracle Grow or use plain; it is also great if your leaves are yellowing and you can add the Epsom salt treatment to everything that grows, from grass to trees.

Don't use too much cow manure, a little is good, but too much will make the leaves grow at the expense of flowers and fruit. Goat or rabbit manure is better.

When you plant the tomatoes in the ground remove all the bottom leaves, I only leave maybe 2 sets of leaves on the top and plant the stem up to the leaves. I also dig down below where the roots will rest when planting and add manure and mix well, the plants will hit the manure eventually and give them a boost. Making "manure tea" is also a great way to fertilize them.

For larger tomatoes, remove the suckers as you see them, they are the new sets of leaves that appear in the crotch area between the stem the leaf joints, if the sucker gets very big use scissors to cut them off and you can root them in a glass of water and start your own new tomato plants.

To help fight dirt borne bacteria always stake the plants and don't let them lay on the ground. Last but not least, water the plants very deeply, a little sprinkle will encourage the roots to grow up to get the water and some tomato varieties can send roots over 20 feet down. (08/26/2009)

By wolfbytez

I have a healthy tomato plant. It put on 4 tomatoes right at first and now it has loads of blooms, but the blooms are just drying up and there are no more tomatoes. Please help.

I planted tomatoes from seeds in May. The plants have lots of blossoms, but there is only one green tomato on only one of the 7 plants. Is there something that I should do to stimulate the plants?