Traveling With a Dog

Category Travel
A woman and her dog on a road trip.
If you are traveling, especially if you are gone for several days, it a wonderful experience to bring your dog along. This is a guide about traveling with a dog.

Has anyone done the trip from Michigan to Florida with their dog? What should we bring for him, and any suggestions on a nice motel/hotel to stay at that is clean on our way down and home?

By Wacky Camper

Best Answer

I have moved from Phoenix to Ohio with two cats. I know you're supposed to keep them in carriers for safety but though 8 hours a day for 5 days was inhumane. We layed 1/2 of the back seat down and put a litter pan, collapsable water bowl and small bowl of food back there and let them enjoy the trip too. The old guy mostly layed on the floor behind the drivers seat but the 5 year old thought is was an excellent adventure! Most Best Westerns, Super 8, Red Roof Inn and Holiday Inn Express will accomodate pets for a $10 charge. Have a GREAT time!

In August, my husband and I will be driving to Missouri from California to take my mom a car. We will be flying back. Along on this trip, we will be taking our 1 year old Pomeranian puppy. We flew on an airplane with him last August and he did great. I am concerned about how he will handle the drive for 2 days straight. Should I be concerned about car sickness? Any suggestions on traveling with my lovely pet will be appreciated.

Teresa from California

Answers:

Trial Run

Take him for a half-day or whole day trip and see how he does. If nothing else, it will get him used to traveling in a car.

By Noella

Research and Microchips

You will need to check with the states you are traveling through as the pup is considered live stock. You should also bring along his papers (rabies, vaccines, etc).

This should be first: Get him or her micro chipped. God forbid your pup gets away from you, and runs. They could become lost, or worse. Have your cell phone number and/or your destination phone number on their collar. Make an ID tag at local pet store for a couple of bucks. This way, should they be found, you might still be in the area.

I moved over 1000 miles and drove through seven different states with my two dogs (to me they are my four legged kids). Even though they are trained and listen, while stopped for breaks they were frightened and uneasy by the unfamiliar noises from the semis, traffic, new smells and an unfamiliar place.

You'll need to plan ahead as not all hotels or motels accommodate pets either.
Sorry for the information overload, but if I had this info prior to this trip, I would have been more prepared.

By Michelle

I'd like comments and/or suggestions on taking a 6 hour car trip with my 8 month old dachshund. I've never done this before and since he's still young I don't want to leave him at a kennel for the 3 or 4 days I'll be gone.

Betty from Lubbock, TX

Answers:

Traveling With a Kennel

If your pup is kennel trained he will be fine in a kennel. However, since you want to take him with you. You should stop once every 2 hours and walk him for 15-30 minutes (since he is still really young). This might make the trip longer but it will keep from mistakes happening in the car.

A travel kennel is recommended so your pooch doesn't distract you on your long journey. Also, bring treats, toys, and a water bowl. It will keep him from being bored and thirsty. It will also be good if you take him for small trips around town before you go on your long distance trip to find out how he reacts.

By Tiff

Most Dogs Love to Travel

My family has a small dog and she loves to travel with us. We've even taken her on long trips from Western CO to Central KS!

We've found that she does best when she has her own pillow, but almost always ends up in the front passenger's lap, so she can see what's happening.

We make frequent stops anyway, so we always give her a chance to run a little bit and go potty, and when we eat, seems best to give her a hamburger or sausage patty from our fast-food stops.

Take along a container for water. Your dog may not eat much, but it'll be thirsty. Also take your dog's special bed, if it has one. I believe most dogs love to travel.

By KLJohn

Traveling With a Dachshund

We've always traveled with our dogs and have a Dachshund that "hit the road" with us at 8 weeks. We stop every couple of hours for ourselves and that is enough for her. We carry a bowl, a bottle of water, a baggie of food, a "lap blanket", a small bed, and her leash and collar. She loves to sit in my lap (the passenger) so she can see. We all enjoy having her along.

By Glenn'sMom