Troubleshooting Car Heater Problems

The weather is cold and of course your heater is not working properly. Determining the cause of the problem can be time consuming and frustrating. This is a guide about troubleshooting car heater problems.

Filter Sort

Question: Heater Not Working in Ford Van L

By William D Peckham 1

I have a 1988 Ford van. I don't know why no power is getting to the heater blower. It doesn't work, but will when hot wired.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Troubleshooting Car Heater Air Flow Problems

By cntrygirl 1

Why does air come out of the vents all the time except when accelerating, then it goes to the windshield?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By BettyGross 7 57 Flag

If you don't get the answer here call Auto Zone, they may can give you some idea as to why it's happening.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Car Heater Not Blowing Warm Air

By jeff 1

I need help with the heater in my 1989 Mazda b 2600. The heater is not blowing hot and cab is staying cold. If anybody can help with suggestions it would be great.

By Jeff from Virginia Beach, VA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Chasity 2 8 Flag

Same with me, just needed antifreeze or water, and I had froze all that time!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Car Heater Not Working

By Brandon Biggchief T. 1

I've changed my heater core and thermostat, but I still have no heat and the temperature gauge goes up. What else should I check?

By B.T.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Grandma J 54 1,040 Flag

February 17, 2014Best Answer

What Louise said, but if you know something about what you are doing, make notes to tell the person who finally is scheduled to fix it. For several decades my husband has fixed and done autobody to the family cars. And 2 of 3 sons went to college tech for these same programs.

Neither of my 2 sons are employed in the programs above, use the info to keep their own things working correctly. Anyway, not sure if this is winter where you are, and the urgency of fixing the car is more than in summer time. If you are starting to fix things now instead of in the fall doing a full check list, I have to shake a finger at you. Catching something that should have been maintence back then was preventable. That being said, other things happen. Did you flush your radiator when doing the things you listed? Did you get things put back in the order they came off? Often a huge mistake. My guys use their phones and take photos as they are undoing, whether rebuilding and engine/tranny or just maintenence on different family cars.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Heat Only Comes Out Dash Vents

My 2002 Pontiac Aztec has an issue with heat. When it is set on window vent and or window and floor vents no heat comes out! When I set it on the vents located on the dash (where the air blows out straight at you) there is heat. I live in Minnesota and can't be without the defrosting vent with this -0 temps and wind chills. My husband says I'm crazy that can't happen. I need a logical explanation. Please help. Thanks.

By Cindy M.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

This is likely a very simple fix for an automotive technician. Take it to a shop and have them book it in for a quick check. This is not something that you can fix yourself.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Auto Heater Motor Making a Howling Noise

The heater motor makes a howling noise at times for few minutes or longer. Other than that it works good.

By Ken from Penticton, BC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Brent 21 Flag

Sounds like the bearing is going. Many are permanently sealed. IF you can get grease in, might be ok. Normally you have to replace everything.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: The AC/Heater Thermostat Not Working

By gwnutrition 1

The AC/heater fan works correctly, but does not change the temp to hot or cold. Nor does the air compressor come on.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing a Car Heater

I have a '98 Mazda B3000. How do I get air out of the cooling system to make the heater work? It stays cold after and while driving over 50 miles at a time after replacing the water pump and thermastat and trying to bleed air by cap and hoses to heater core. What's next?

By Keith from Powelton, WV

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: A/C Heater Blower Not Working Properly

My blower motor will not run except on low. I can unplug the relay and replug it and the blower motor will run only in the hi position. If I turn the switch to any other setting it stops blowing and will not restart unless I unplug the relay and plug it back in with the switch setting on hi. I have replaced the relay, resistor, and the switch and nothing works

By Johnny from Jackson, TN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: 2000 Hyundai Heater Not Working Properly

My 2000 Hyundai heater only blows on floor or on vent, but not on defrost.

By Wayne

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Car Radiator
        Consumer Advice Cars Repair AdviceJanuary 24, 2014
        ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
        Car Air Conditioner
        Smell Coming From a Car Air Conditioner
        Water Heater
        Troubleshooting a Water Heater
        Snow Covered Truck
        Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems
        Maintaining Your Water Heater
        Maintaining Your Water Heater
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 1:03:37 AM on 10.0.0.90 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
        NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
        Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
        BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
        CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings