Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Troubleshooting Car Heater Problems

The weather is cold and of course your heater is not working properly. Determining the cause of the problem can be time consuming and frustrating. This is a guide about troubleshooting car heater problems.

January 5, 2017 Flag

Car heater vent and controls.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about car heater blowing cold air. When your car does not warm up with the heater on, the thermostat may be stuck or the coolant may be low.

January 3, 2017 Flag

I have a 2004 Chevy Venture. You can not turn the heater knob so it is stuck on 3 power, but only blows 1 power. The diagnostic says my thermostat and oxygen sensors are bad, would that affect the blower not working properly and the dial not moving?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is the area around the dial getting warm or hot to the touch??

motor might be bad on the fan

February 16, 2014 Flag

I've changed my heater core and thermostat, but I still have no heat and the temperature gauge goes up. What else should I check?

By B.T.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

What Louise said, but if you know something about what you are doing, make notes to tell the person who finally is scheduled to fix it. For several decades my husband has fixed and done autobody to the family cars. And 2 of 3 sons went to college tech for these same programs.

Neither of my 2 sons are employed in the programs above, use the info to keep their own things working correctly. Anyway, not sure if this is winter where you are, and the urgency of fixing the car is more than in summer time. If you are starting to fix things now instead of in the fall doing a full check list, I have to shake a finger at you. Catching something that should have been maintence back then was preventable. That being said, other things happen. Did you flush your radiator when doing the things you listed? Did you get things put back in the order they came off? Often a huge mistake. My guys use their phones and take photos as they are undoing, whether rebuilding and engine/tranny or just maintenence on different family cars.

did you bleed the cooling system, bleeders one on thermostat housing there can be another one on the opposite side by heater hose.

January 9, 2016 Flag

Why does air come out of the vents all the time except when accelerating, then it goes to the windshield?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you don't get the answer here call Auto Zone, they may can give you some idea as to why it's happening.

July 9, 2016 Flag

The heater/air blower is stuck on defrost mode.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 14, 2016 Flag

I have a 1988 Ford van. I don't know why no power is getting to the heater blower. It doesn't work, but will when hot wired.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 9, 2014 Flag

My 2002 Pontiac Aztec has an issue with heat. When it is set on window vent and or window and floor vents no heat comes out! When I set it on the vents located on the dash (where the air blows out straight at you) there is heat. I live in Minnesota and can't be without the defrosting vent with this -0 temps and wind chills. My husband says I'm crazy that can't happen. I need a logical explanation. Please help. Thanks.

By Cindy M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is likely a very simple fix for an automotive technician. Take it to a shop and have them book it in for a quick check. This is not something that you can fix yourself.

January 15, 2014 Flag

The heater motor makes a howling noise at times for few minutes or longer. Other than that it works good.

By Ken from Penticton, BC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds like the bearing is going. Many are permanently sealed. IF you can get grease in, might be ok. Normally you have to replace everything.

May 29, 2015 Flag

The AC/heater fan works correctly, but does not change the temp to hot or cold. Nor does the air compressor come on.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 19, 2015 Flag

I have a '98 Mazda B3000. How do I get air out of the cooling system to make the heater work? It stays cold after and while driving over 50 miles at a time after replacing the water pump and thermastat and trying to bleed air by cap and hoses to heater core. What's next?

By Keith from Powelton, WV

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 12, 2015 Flag

My blower motor will not run except on low. I can unplug the relay and replug it and the blower motor will run only in the hi position. If I turn the switch to any other setting it stops blowing and will not restart unless I unplug the relay and plug it back in with the switch setting on hi. I have replaced the relay, resistor, and the switch and nothing works

By Johnny from Jackson, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 6, 2014 Flag

My 2000 Hyundai heater only blows on floor or on vent, but not on defrost.

By Wayne

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice Cars Repair AdviceJanuary 24, 2014
Water Heater
Troubleshooting a Water Heater
Snow Covered Truck
Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems
Car heater vent and controls.
Car Heater Blowing Cold Air
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 16, 2017 at 1:27:10 PM on 10.0.1.129 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.