Troubleshooting Car Heater Problems

The weather is cold and of course your heater is not working properly. Determining the cause of the problem can be time consuming and frustrating. This is a guide about troubleshooting car heater problems.

Car Radiator
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Why does air come out of the vents all the time except when accelerating, then it goes to the windshield?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you don't get the answer here call Auto Zone, they may can give you some idea as to why it's happening.

I've changed my heater core and thermostat, but I still have no heat and the temperature gauge goes up. What else should I check?

By B.T.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

What Louise said, but if you know something about what you are doing, make notes to tell the person who finally is scheduled to fix it. For several decades my husband has fixed and done autobody to the family cars. And 2 of 3 sons went to college tech for these same programs.

Neither of my 2 sons are employed in the programs above, use the info to keep their own things working correctly. Anyway, not sure if this is winter where you are, and the urgency of fixing the car is more than in summer time. If you are starting to fix things now instead of in the fall doing a full check list, I have to shake a finger at you. Catching something that should have been maintence back then was preventable. That being said, other things happen. Did you flush your radiator when doing the things you listed? Did you get things put back in the order they came off? Often a huge mistake. My guys use their phones and take photos as they are undoing, whether rebuilding and engine/tranny or just maintenence on different family cars.

I have a 1988 Ford van. I don't know why no power is getting to the heater blower. It doesn't work, but will when hot wired.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need help with the heater in my 1989 Mazda b 2600. The heater is not blowing hot and cab is staying cold. If anybody can help with suggestions it would be great.

By Jeff from Virginia Beach, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Same with me, just needed antifreeze or water, and I had froze all that time!

Read More Answers...

My 2002 Pontiac Aztec has an issue with heat. When it is set on window vent and or window and floor vents no heat comes out! When I set it on the vents located on the dash (where the air blows out straight at you) there is heat. I live in Minnesota and can't be without the defrosting vent with this -0 temps and wind chills. My husband says I'm crazy that can't happen. I need a logical explanation. Please help. Thanks.

By Cindy M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is likely a very simple fix for an automotive technician. Take it to a shop and have them book it in for a quick check. This is not something that you can fix yourself.

The heater motor makes a howling noise at times for few minutes or longer. Other than that it works good.

By Ken from Penticton, BC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds like the bearing is going. Many are permanently sealed. IF you can get grease in, might be ok. Normally you have to replace everything.

Consumer Advice Cars Repair AdviceJanuary 24, 2014
      Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
      Saving Money on Car Rentals
      Water Heater
      Troubleshooting a Water Heater
      Snow Covered Truck
      Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems
      Maintaining Your Water Heater
      Maintaining Your Water Heater
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 12, 2016 at 1:10:22 AM on 10.0.2.96 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.