Unique Name Instead of Gramma

I am going to be a first time gramma any day. I am only 38 yrs. old and gramma sounds just old. I never really had a nick name and I want to find a unique, different name for my grandchild to call me. My real name is Monica Lynn if that helps.

By envy3546

I was a first time grandma at 39. At first it seems shocking but you will get used to it. I never minded being called Grandma at 39. You will probably have more grand children so do you want all of them to call you something other than grandma?

GramMonica?

French granmothers are called Maman (mah-mahn). In Louisiana it's Memaw

My one friend's grandchildren call her Mimi.

My friends called their grandmother 2mama. It was so catchy pretty soon the whole town called her 2mama. I called my grandmother Margie. Her name was Margaret.

The Cree name for a Grandmother is Koocum. I have 14 Grandchildren and all but 1 call me Koocum. The 1 who doesn't, calls me Donna, unless she wants something......lol.

Accept it, it is a beautiful name and age has nothing to do with the love a child has for a Gramma. Just enjoy it at such a young age and if people are astonished, just go with it, unless there is some issue you aren't mentioning.

LOL I had the same feelings when I was about to become a first time Grandma. My kids asked me about "Granny" and all I could think of was Granny Clampett!

I told them the kid could call me anything she/he wanted as long as it wasn't granny!

I have some who call me Nana, and some who call me Gramma. I figured Gramma was a whole lot better than Granny!

Granica? Maybe Nica for starts? Something easy to start off with when he/she learns to talk? Hope that helps & congratulations! I called my gramma Bessie, that was her name. I was the only grandchild allowed to call her that, guess cause I lived with her for so long.

I have heard a lot of children call their grandmother Mimi instead of Grandma. I kind of like that. I have heard others call their grandmother G. and their great grandmother Gigi or Big G.

When my mother became a grandmother we called her Cutie Pie, a name that was still being used when she became a great grandmother.

I am sorry you feel being called gramma makes you sound old.I would be honored to be called what ever my grand children wanted to call me. U could be a young granny! I dont understand people who feel like it is making them old be be called anything like granny. What about people who have old names from the past like Viola. My parents and in-laws let my kids decide on on what to call them. Life is to short to worry about what your grandkids call you, just enjoy them with all your heart,

My kids called my mother-in-law Bibi (pronounced beebee).

I was also 38 when I became an Ome....Native American for grandmother pronounced OH me. One of my grandchildren started calling me NeNe and I have a cousin that was also young and she is YaYa, then we have Mimi (pronounced me me). MyMy, this friend said it stood for my grandmother. :)

G' momma, gamma, Noni, mommabear, Onie, Oma,to name a few but I will tell you this, " a grandchild has your heart and no matter what you chose for them to call you IF they start calling you something else you will answer to whatever they call you and be thrilled they call you by name! :)

I called my grandmother Mamo. My mom had a problem with the "d" in Grandma, so she was called Gramma .. no "d". I am with everyone else who said that you are so fortunate to even have a grandchild...enjoy whatever he or she calls you.

How about Memaw? That is what I have been called for 30 years now and I am a greatgrandma now.

I love to be called Granny because I have wonderful memories of my own sweet Granny. But not everyone can or should be the same. A friend of mine who also became a grandmother in her 30's chose to have her grand daughter call her G-Ma (pronounced gee-ma) I've always thought that was sweet.

Another friend's first grand daughter started calling her Mama Dee on her own. She liked that so much that all subsequent grand children have called her Mama Dee as well. What is so cute about that one is that my friend's name is not Dee nor does it begin with a "D". You can come up with a special name for your precious grand baby to call you. There is nothing wrong with being origional.

Don't obsess over what your grandchildren will call you. I had picked out a grand name for me and my husband to be called...and my first grandson just started calling us MiMi and Poppie - out of the blue. Nothing can or will change that! They will call you what they want to call you! and you will love it!

My granddaughter calls my Mom (her Great Grandmother) Great Donna. I know that's not what you asked but I just love this and wanted to share it : )

How about Gam, Gam/Gam, or Gammy? (I, too, didn't want to be called "granny" at such a young age, and thought about asking my grands to call me "Grandmama", but that didn't work! Gammy is perfect!

I started off being Nonna, Italian for grandmother, which became No-No, and ended up being, are you ready? Donut!

My husband and I are Opa and Oma, German for Grandma and Grandpa. How about Moni or Mamoni from Monica? Or G plus your last initial? My son's stepchildren call us GL to distinguish us from their other grandparents. And now that we are greatgrandparents, it is Geegee and Geepee.

Monnie. I was a nanny for a long time and my grandson got jealous when they called me nanny so he decided to call me Nuni LOL. But whatever he/she calls you your heart will melt a 1000 times over when you first hear it

Kelly/Nuni and loving it

What's wrong with grandma? I am 45 and a first time grandma. What I hate is Memaw. My beloved Grams was...Grams, but I occasionally called her grandmama. My great grandmother was Grammy. Age should not matter. Some are young at 90, or old at 30.

My daughter chose Lisi (Lee-see) as her grandma name. Can't remember what language it is. Mine call me Caca because the first one tried to say grandma but it came out Caca. Now I'm Caca to all of them!