Uses for Cardboard Wrapping Paper Tubes

These leftover tubes can be used in crafts, for storage and in other ways. This guide is about uses for cardboard wrapping tubes.

July 9, 2012 Flag

I save my empty tubes to save my grandson's art. Rolling the art in a tube form lets me keep them "fold free". I can save quite a few in each tube and I date them by the year they were made. He started when he was about two and he just turned 5 in April.

By Christi-TX from Abilene, TX

January 15, 2008 Flag

My old windows are not in the budget for replacement as of yet, so sometimes when I want to open them, they slide down and will not stay up. To solve this problem, I brace the window up with a cardboard tube from wrapping paper, which I can cut to any size to fit in between the bottom of the window and the space behind the sill. These hold the windows open very nicely and can be replaced when they wear out for "free". If you place them at the side of the window, the tube will be out of sight.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

I believe you can purchase from a hardware store, small metal clamps that can be attached to windows that will hold them up. They are fairly inexpensive around $5 and can save a trip to the hospital if the tube is accidentally knocked over and the window comes down on someone.

Have you considered using decorative shelf brackets to hold up your windows? Saw this in a magazine and it looked great! Was functional and very decorative. Until I read the caption on the picture, just thought it was a decorating tip! Didnt realize it was holding the window open. Wish I'd seen that when I had old windows. You just sit the brackets in the bottom corners of the window on the sill with the flat sides of the brackets against the outside edge of the window and along the sill.

December 20, 2004 Flag

Uses for those cardboard rolls that you get with wrapping paper. Post your ideas.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Save those used Christmas wrapping paper rolls for the storage of Christmas lights at the end of the season. Just start wrapping around the tube ! Much easier for next year instead of that bundled mess You used to have.

By Chell

After the wrapping paper is used up, I take the empty roll and cut straight up the roll with scissors from one end to the other. Then I take the cut empty roll and place it over another roll that still has wrapping paper on it. You may have to add a rubber band on top of this to keep it more secure. This protects the remaining wrapping paper from rips and wrinkles when I put it back in storage.

One way we've found to put away garland and christmas lights after Christmas is to use the tubes from wrapping paper. Secure one end of lights or garland to the end of the tube with tape, then spiral the lights or garland around and down the tube. Secure other end with tape. Then put in a box or trash bag to store. Next year no untangling!

By Diana McAlister

Use your leftover rolls from paper towel and wrapping paper to wind your Christmas lights around and you will never be left with a mess of tangles again.

By Liz Serich

Better Living Green Living ReusingNovember 28, 2012
Making Cardboard Box Playhouses
Making Cardboard Box Playhouses
Empty cardboard toilet paper rolls, ready for reusing.
Valentine Crafts Using Toilet Paper Rolls
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Reusing Cardboard, Stack of Corrugated Cardboard
Reusing Cardboard
🎄
🍂