Uses for Racks and Bins from Old Refrigerators

Category Reusing
Once a refrigerator is no longer worth repairing, you may be able to use the shelves and drawers for other things around your home. This guide is about uses for racks and bins from old refrigerators.

Great re-use idea! A friend was discarding an expensive, but old refrigerator. I asked for the bins which I use to wash things outside, and I asked for the wire shelves.

I immediately used them to keep squirrels from digging up morning glory seedlings, which they do every year. The sun and water can get through until the vines are big enough to hold on for themselves. I used to tie on screening, but that was a pain. This is so easy!

By OhioGirl from Cleveland, OH

I'm not sure if you could do this with refrigerator shelves, but we took old wire shelves from an oven that was no longer working and using concrete blocks, made an outdoor grill.

We stacked 4 large concrete blocks for each side of the grill, then we laid the metal shelves on top. To use the grill, we lay in charcoal or sticks, and we cover the shelves with aluminum foil so the food won't fall through the openings.

We live in a rural area, so I don't know if everyone could use this, but it works for our family.

What could I do with old glass refrigerator shelves? I have lots of ideas for the bins.

By bellanell

Reuse the refrigerator racks as a trellis in the garden for flowers or veggies? A small rack would be perfect in a large potted planter. Or hang the rack on the wall as an organizer for ear rings?

Can they be used with bricks to make shelving?

Glass shelves could be used on sink counters to protect the surface from being scratched, or under the coffee maker or espresso machine to keep coffee spills from staining counter surface or as a surface under slicing beets, or thawing frozen berries or packing berries ready for the freezer.