Using Aluminum Foil and Plastic Wrap Correctly

roll of foil
Many of us have had times when the roll of foil ties to pull out of the box and the plastic wrap tangles, sticks to itself, and wads up in a mess. This is a guide about using aluminum foil and plastic wrap correctly.

If you (like I) get frustrated when you try to pull out a sheet of aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or waxed paper and the roll goes flying out causing you to have to "re-roll" the stuff, check this out.

Some (but not all) of these packages actually have little 'punch in' tabs on the ends that will hold the rolls in place! All these years and I never knew that!

I noticed one of mine didn't have that option, so I used my steak knife and cut a 3 sided box shape. Leave one side uncut to allow you to push the square into the box to hold the roll. It worked!

Source: My daughter noticed it~

Check the ends of your aluminum foil boxes for a handy little circle or triangle. If you punch it in it will hold the roll in the box and prevent it from popping out when you rip off a piece. I never noticed it before and had to check it out. Sure enough it's there!

By jabsgram from Billerica, MA

Did you ever notice that aluminum foil is shinier on one side than it is on the other? When cooking with foil (for example, wrapping potatoes for baking), be sure to wrap or cover the item dull side out - shiny side out will reflect the heat rather than absorb it, and it will take longer to cook.

By Becki in Indiana

How often are we frustrated when the roll of foil or plastic wrap pops out of the box when we are using it causing much frustration and waste of the product and time? You know what I am talking about. ;-)

Go ahead, go to the kitchen and check. If you're like myself, and most likely the majority of others, your first thought will be, "How come no one ever told me about this before and why is it I never noticed until now!" The next thing you'll do is 'press the tabs' to test it.

On each end of the box of aluminum foil or plastic wrap, generic or not, it will say "Press here to lock tab." Press them both and you will never have the roll of foil or plastic wrap popping out of the box again. :-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Answers:

Lock Tabs on Aluminum Foil and Plastic Wrap Boxes

I immediately went to the kitchen drawer and pressed all the tabs on the rolls. A big Mahalo Nui Loa to you. (05/16/2008)

By pigeon toes

Guess it's cause we never read the directions! *smile*

Thanks for the tip! (05/16/2008)

By Cyinda

I laughed when I read this because I can't tell you how many rolls of foil and cling wrap I bought before I noticed the tabs on the boxes a few months back! As some one said it must be the fact that no one ever reads directions anymore! (05/17/2008)

By tthompson

I received an email about this, and immediately looked in my drawer to lock my tabs. Then, forwarded the info to all my friends. I assumed I had been missing this for years. Cleaned out the camping box and found an old roll of alum. foil, probably 10 years old. NO locking tabs! So, now I don't feel like I've missed this forever :) (05/18/2008)

By Mary

Wow! I feel so dumb. Thanks for a great tip,
(05/18/2008)

By falldowngobump

Out of curiousity I contacted Reynolds to see just how long the locking tabs have been on foil boxes . Here's the response:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil.

In our continuing efforts to meet the needs of our consumers, our cartons have end locks to hold the rolls in place. This feature was added in 1996. Press in the perforated tabs on each end of the carton before your first use.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Reynolds Consumer Response
ContactUs@reynoldskitchens.com"

(05/19/2008)

By Deeli

Good God! Here I am 63 years old! And never knew that! Thanks so much!

Cut-Rite Wax Paper doesn't have tabs though. (05/19/2008)

By

This must be a new thing going around. I have received this no less then 5 times in the last 2 weeks! I am 61 years old, and have NEVER heard this before! No one else that I know of has ever heard it before either, so now we all will know! Thanks! (05/19/2008)

By meme23

I never had a problem with the roll jumping out of the box. I did try the tabs but had more problems. At times, it was harder to pull out when I used them. (05/20/2008)

By Jean

LOL great tip and I am wondering why I never saw that before either. (05/20/2008)

By Lynn

DUH! I laughed so hard when I read the post and responses to date. Now I don't feel QUITE as dumb. The really bad part is that I used to know about the tabs but just forgot when I bought the next roll! Sometimes I feel like I'm getting more dense the older I get (both physically and mentally)! Thanks for the reminder! ;0) (05/20/2008)

By gonecrazyhunting

Wow, never realized this before and you'd think it would have been obvious! lol! Thanx! (05/23/2008)

By featherdiane

A friend sent me this last week. Like everyone else here, I to got up to check, sure enough. I forward to my e-pals ages 18-84. None knew, LOL. (05/31/2008)

By keeper60

Yup, ran to the kitchen drawer and sure enough even the generic store brand has the tabs AND IT WORKS. Thanks for passing this along. Who knew? HAHA (07/20/2008)

By fionarx

You press them in once, they lock in place. (02/25/2009)

By Barb

For Tom, you most likely have pushed the tabs in too far with force which causes the roll to 'stick' ;-) Just take a tooth pick and loosen the punched in cardboard a bit ;-) (02/26/2009)

By Deeli

Well meme, I beat you. I am 72 and never knew this! I can just hear my hubby saying " I am always telling you, READ the instructions"! (02/26/2009)

By CAKEDEC