Using Bleach as a Weed Killer

Some homeowners prefer to use household products to get rid of weeds, rather than buy a commercial weed killer. This is a guide about using bleach as a weed killer.

May 6, 2010 Flag

It is expensive to kill weeds by using weed killer. You can use household bleach which works better.

Source: from a friend

By Stellalpe from New York, NY

Bleach is not good for the environment & will get into the groundwater when you use it to kill weeds. You might try vinegar.

Agree with the vinegar route. We might try it this year, as our dandelions are already out of control.

You have to be careful with bleach because it will melt some plastic containers. For instance, if you are using a weed killer sprayer traditionally used for chemicals like Round Up or such. Bleach may destroy the plastic rendering the receptacle useless.

Bleach - not so much! Vinegar will work but it is not selective. Anything you put it on, it will kill. Boiling water or steam will work as well, but be careful you don't get burned yourself!

Sorry, but the bleach weed killer 50/50 water/bleach and 1/4 cup of dawn liquid soap is really the best, while bleach is toxic, it is less than the toxicity of regular weed killers... why? Because clorine bleach dissipates within 12 hours. It does not harm the ground water. It does not harm the soil, you can go out the next day and plant right on top of the place where the weeds were the next day. :)

Household vinegar/soap combination will work but weeds will return. Vinegar with at least 10% acidity is required to completely kill the weeds to the roots. Be careful you don't get any on your skin as it will burn like heck. Add to this orange oil and you've one awesome weed killer.

Bleach definitely is a strong weed killer, simply because it will kill every single plant it touches. This is why if you decide to use bleach as a weed killer, you should be very careful not to apply it on your other plants by accident. I would usually use it to remove weeds growing from the crevices of a paved patio or something similar, where I can't harm other plants. Lately I had my lawn mowed by a professional company, and the professionals there recommended me to get one of those weed mats. You practically apply a mat around your plants and the weeds stop growing in that particular space. I also found out that old carpets and curtains can be used for the same purpose.

When using bleach should it be diluted first? And ' rainproof' is it? Like with roundup if you speay the plant and then 30 minutes later it rains, the plant will still be destroyed.

October 31, 2009 Flag

Can you tell me about bleach as a weed killer?

David

Answers:

Using Bleach as a Weed Killer

Bleach is extremely toxic and should not be used on plants or weeds. Use vinegar instead. It will kill all the toughest weeds except things like blackberry vines. Just dump it straight on the weeds, making sure you get it down into the roots. If you have a lot to do it might take 2 or 3 gallons. I just used 2 gallons today on my weeds. (06/20/2007)

By Mythi

Using Bleach as a Weed Killer

I have never used bleach, but have used salt. I have used it in between sidewalk blocks and under fence. It will kill grass, but is not a poison as so many of the weed and grass killers are. (06/20/2007)

By Graycrab

Using Bleach as a Weed Killer

Please don't! Both bleach and salt are long-lasting pollutants that do reach the groundwater. Try a flame weeder, a long torch that cooks the weed by boiling the juices in it. Very fun, actually, and teenage boys have been known to ask to do this chore. You don't have to dry up and burn the weed, just turn it into seaweed with it. They are cheap to use and organic, perfect for driveways and walkways where weeds come up through gravel or concrete.

I got this idea by reading Ann Lovejoy on organic landscaping. The ultimate solution is barriers, like deep gravel or bark over a layer of black plastic or thick newspaper. If weeds are coming up through your gravel, then double the depth of the gravel. (06/21/2007)

By Kim from WA

My husband and I cleaned the weeds off the fence line and put them on a burn pile. I didn't know what sumack looked like and put that on the burn pile and I became covered in blisters! Allergic reaction! I was blistered for 2 weeks!! Bad idea burning weeds in and around your yard.

Bleach is very effective. I use 8oz per gallon in a sprayer on an RV pad. Weeds don't return as quickly as with commercial killers. Wish the gov't got their hands out of my poisons so I could use the stuff I bought 20 years ago that would destroy everything in the treated ground for three or four years.

May 6, 2010 Flag

Can I use bleach as a weedkiller?

Hardiness Zone: 1

By Steve from Manchester, UK

Answers:

Using Bleach as a Weed Killer

I think vinegar is a better choice, it doesn't harm the groundwater like bleach does. Vinegar is a little slower to work. (11/06/2009)

By mulberry204

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsJune 3, 2016
Homemade Weed Killer Recipes
Homemade Weed Killer Recipes
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Ants on the wall of a house.
Homemade Ant Killer Recipes
🎉
🎄