Using Bleach as a Weed Killer

Category Weeds
Gloved hand using a spray bottle to spray a week growing in a driveway crack
Some homeowners prefer to use household products to get rid of weeds, rather than buy a commercial weed killer. This is a guide about using bleach as a weed killer.

It is expensive to kill weeds by using weed killer. You can use household bleach which works better.

Source: from a friend

By Stellalpe from New York, NY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I've tried it and it really seem to work on hard to kill weeds. I don't know if it is worse for the environment than commercial weed killers.

Anonymous

Bleach won't harm plastic containers and spray bottles. Common laundry bleach is sold in plastic bottles, so the manufacturers are confidant of this. Bleach in the environment, in contact with soil moisture eventually degrades to free chlorine (nasty for you and the weeds) and sodium chloride, or common table salt (the stuff you eat). Whether it works as a weedkiller I just don't know, but you put it in the laundry with your white bedsheets and undies, and I don't think you've come to any harm yet, have you?

what is the ratio of vinegar or do you use it undiluted?

Anonymous

Bleach will absolutely destroy certain types of plastic if you put the bleach inside of one of those plastic spray bottles the commercial ones for spring larger amounts it will destroy it

Can you tell me about bleach as a weed killer?

David

Answers:

Using Bleach as a Weed Killer

Bleach is extremely toxic and should not be used on plants or weeds. Use vinegar instead. It will kill all the toughest weeds except things like blackberry vines. Just dump it straight on the weeds, making sure you get it down into the roots. If you have a lot to do it might take 2 or 3 gallons. I just used 2 gallons today on my weeds. (06/20/2007)

By Mythi

Using Bleach as a Weed Killer

I have never used bleach, but have used salt. I have used it in between sidewalk blocks and under fence. It will kill grass, but is not a poison as so many of the weed and grass killers are. (06/20/2007)

By Graycrab

Using Bleach as a Weed Killer

Please don't! Both bleach and salt are long-lasting pollutants that do reach the groundwater. Try a flame weeder, a long torch that cooks the weed by boiling the juices in it. Very fun, actually, and teenage boys have been known to ask to do this chore. You don't have to dry up and burn the weed, just turn it into seaweed with it. They are cheap to use and organic, perfect for driveways and walkways where weeds come up through gravel or concrete.

I got this idea by reading Ann Lovejoy on organic landscaping. The ultimate solution is barriers, like deep gravel or bark over a layer of black plastic or thick newspaper. If weeds are coming up through your gravel, then double the depth of the gravel. (06/21/2007)

By Kim from WA

Read 3 Comments

Can I use bleach as a weedkiller?

Hardiness Zone: 1

By Steve from Manchester, UK

Answers:

Using Bleach as a Weed Killer

I think vinegar is a better choice, it doesn't harm the groundwater like bleach does. Vinegar is a little slower to work. (11/06/2009)

By mulberry204

Read 2 Comments