BakingFood Tips

Using Frozen Blueberries Instead of Fresh for Baking

I am planning on making a cake recipe that calls for fresh blueberries. I have a big bag of frozen ones and would prefer to use them up. Should I defrost them on a paper towel to absorb extra moisture? Or can they be used while still frozen?

By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA

Answers

I use mine while still partially frozen. I put them into a large bowl and let them defrost for about 30 minutes. Then I mix about 1/4 cup of flour with 1/4 cup of white sugar and add it to the blueberries. Stir gently to coat them all. This stops them from clumping together in a big mess. Then I add them to my cake mix and stir gently. The previously frozen ones are softer and tend to bleed blue color into your batter, but they taste the same.