Using Frozen Blueberries Instead of Fresh for Baking

I am planning on making a cake recipe that calls for fresh blueberries. I have a big bag of frozen ones and would prefer to use them up. Should I defrost them on a paper towel to absorb extra moisture? Or can they be used while still frozen?

By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA

I use mine while still partially frozen. I put them into a large bowl and let them defrost for about 30 minutes. Then I mix about 1/4 cup of flour with 1/4 cup of white sugar and add it to the blueberries. Stir gently to coat them all. This stops them from clumping together in a big mess. Then I add them to my cake mix and stir gently. The previously frozen ones are softer and tend to bleed blue color into your batter, but they taste the same.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingMay 31, 2013
Blueberry Muffins in Basket
Recipes Using Blueberries
Blueberries in a lidded container
Storing Blueberries
Blueberries in a berry basket.
Selecting Good Blueberries
Blueberries growing on a bush.
Growing Blueberries