Using Incandescent Bulbs

A hand holding an incandescent bulb.
These bulbs have mostly been replaced with fluorescent bulbs which are generally more energy efficient and environmentally safe. This guide is about using incandescent bulbs.

My electrician just gave me a tip. He said to check the voltage on the light bulbs you buy. If you are buying regular incandescent bulbs, be sure they are 130 volts and not 120. They last longer and burn cooler protecting your fixtures and wiring. I use compact fluorescents in all my lamps, but they are too big for my kitchen fixtures. I'll be replacing them with 60 watt 130 volt incandescent bulbs.

By Billie from Olympia, WA

A subscriber recommended buying 130 volt incandescent light bulbs. Where can these be purchased? Thanks.

Sharon from Southern Illinois

whats the point of 130 volt bulbs? just buy the curly

flouresent bulbs, no heat or danger of a fire and uses lots less electricity and gives better light

My DH and I purchased 120 volt florescent light bulbs at Walmart and installed them through our entire house, basement and garage. The bulbs are nice because they're shaped like the standard light bulb, and not the curly design, and I can even clip on a lamp shade. They cost us approximately $100.00 but were well worth the investment. When the switch is turned on, the light is dim, but slowly grows brighter in a very short period of time.

If you decide to purchase the 130 volt you're just wasting more electricity.

We purchased the Philips Energy Saver 60, Soft White A19, 3 Bulb Value Pack, and they last 7 years. Look for the blue label which says ENERGY STAR. We could have purchased them separately, but since we needed so many, it was cheaper to buy the 3-pack.

Light Output - 800 Lumens

Energy Used - 14 watts

Life - 8000 hours

The florescent light bulbs give as much illumination of a 60 watt bulb, but are only 14 watts.

Sharon, I believe that I have seen such bulbs at Lowes in the past but they are not available, in store, at my local Lowes now. More than likely they could be special ordered there. You might also try an electrical supply store, a hardware store, or even an auto parts store. For some reason I seem to remember reading that the bulbs were also referred to as "rough service bulbs".......which is what some auto mechanics use in their "drop lights" to illuminate their repair projects. It seems there may be some confusion as to the names incadescent and fluorescent involved here also. I have personally switched to fluorescent bulbs in many areas of my house but not all areas, I still use my regular incadescent bulbs in certain area of my home. Several of my new 10 year fluorscent bulbs have burned out in way less than a year........yes, they were "energy stars" but they lasted less time than the OLD type!! I believe there needs to be more fine tunning of this product!! Do a search on google for "rough service light bulbs" and you can inform yourself. Good Luck!

I agree with others who have posted. I cant understand why anyone would want to use a 130 volt incandescent when the rest of us are moving away from incandescents to save electricity.

I buy curly florescent bulbs at Lowes or Walmart. imho, these bulbs will replace all incandescent bulbs as they are much cheaper to use.

Bulbman! I used to work at the one in Reno, Nevada.

http://www.bulbman.com

1-800-648-1163

If they don't have it, it probably does not exist. They even carry flash bulbs and flash cubes for old cameras. They have medical bulbs at excellent prices. If they don't have it in stock, they can get it.

I'm looking for 130v flourescent lights. The reason is that the volts in my house are a bit higher than 120 (they're 125 ) and the regular flourescent bulbs burn out in a couple of weeks and it's costing me an arm and a leg to keep them. Does anyone know where I can find them?