Using Olive Oil for Dry Skin

What is the best olive oil to use on your face? I have extremely dry skin and nothing seems to work where it's manageable and comfortable. I have used high end products to drug store products and just cannot find the right moisturizer for my skin. I'm in my early 40's and experiencing very dry skin. Dry skin hurts too! Please help! Which olive oil has worked or not worked. I would appreciate your advise. Thanks.

Ro from San Antonio, TX

Answers:

Using Olive Oil for Dry Skin

I'm new to the olive oil bit but I use Walmart extra virgin olive oil. I've only been using it about a month and I THINK I see a difference. I don't like it at night because I don't want to mess up my pillow cases. I DO use it under makeup during the day. I haven't noticed a strong smell. (01/26/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Using Olive Oil for Dry Skin

Hi! I just started using Olive Oil too, after reading about it here on ThriftyFun!
I use an extra virgin olive oil, but no special kind -- actually, just the one I had in my kitchen!
I can honestly say I like it! It soaks in nicely, does not leave any smell, does not burn or sting as some creams might, and it really is very moisturizing!!
I hope it helps you too! (01/26/2009)

By carolb

Using Olive Oil for Dry Skin

I always rubbed any kind on that I had in the kitchen and massaged it into the skin on my face and then washed once with dove (bar) soap. The dove just gets the extra oily part off and leaves the needed part on. (01/26/2009)

By Racer

Using Olive Oil for Dry Skin

I use extra virgin coconut oil for everything. It's just as good or better. It is in white solid form in a glass jar in your health food stores, but just bring out a dab into your palms and rub to let it melt. Then apply. It's the better fat for your body. I quit buying makeup due to the chemicals and antifreeze found in them and went evco. (01/27/2009)

By Gail

Virgin coconut oil.....

Hi, this message is for Gail who wrote me a response on virgin coconut oil usage. I would like to ask you more questions if I may. How can I do this?

Thank you * Godiva (01/27/2009)

By Godiva

Using Olive Oil for Dry Skin

Are you getting enough omega 3 fatty acids in your diet? Salmon is one source. Ground flax seed and Fish oil capsules are easier to use. You will see a difference in your skin in one month of taking fish oil capsules twice a day. (01/28/2009)

By guest

Omega oils....

Unfortunately, I haven't given fish oil capsules a chance. I have started and stopped twice in taking them because I cannot get passed the belching effect. It seems when this has happened, I start freaking out at the taste of the fish oil. Do you know of a particular brand that has worked for you? What about the flax, do you spread it on yougart, salads or something else? Please let me know and thank you for the tips!

On another note, do you use olive oil on your face?
(01/28/2009)

By Godiva

Using Olive Oil for Dry Skin

I've heard Crisco works really well, but I haven't tried it myself yet. Sounds strange, but I know some who swear by it. (01/28/2009)

By Angie

Using Olive Oil for Dry Skin

For years I have used the following..melt 2oz of lanolin. add 2oz of olive oil and 2oz of peanut oil. Shake and smooth on skin. Your skin will soak it up. I am 66 years old and no one believes it because I don`t have any wrinkles. This combination of oils actually "feeds" your skin. (01/28/2009)

By castorswind

Using Olive Oil for Dry Skin

I have used sweet oil, which is pure olive oil, for years and really like it. I buy it at Walmart in the pharmacy shelves area. Some people use it warm for ear aches. (01/31/2009)

By PaulaK

Using Olive Oil for Dry Skin

Using any type of oily product on dry skin will not work as good as rubbing it into warm, wet skin. Then carefully blot off any extra. Opening the pores with warm water first allows the moisturizing agent to penetrate the skin rather than just sitting on top. I learned this from an Elizabeth Arden's representative about 50 years ago, so have followed her advice ever since. I am 74 years old now, and no one believes it. No wrinkles. I use Pond's Cold Cream every night in really cold weather as well. That also is applied to warm, wet skin.

I have extremely dry skin, so I know how it can hurt. All the best.
Julia in Coconut Creek, FL
(02/16/2009)

By Julia

Bottle of olive oil with olive branch in the foreground.
Using Olive Oil as a Moisturizer
Storing Olive Oil
Storing Olive Oil
oil lamp on white background
Using Olive Oil as Fuel for Oil Lamps
Man Shopping for Oil
Using Vegetable Oil Instead of Olive Oil
Olive Oil
Health and Nutritional Benefits of Olive Oil
🎉
🎄