Using Olive Oil for Fleas

Category Fleas
Olive oil is a great natural flea remedy. It is a great flea treatment for cats and small dogs. Learn more about olive oil for fleas in this guide.

I had feral kittens dying from a flea infestation. They were too young for treatment with commercial remedies, and tea tree oil can KILL cats at any age. As a nurse, we once had a patient who had head lice infestation that we couldn't rid of with prescription treatments. The CDC recommended olive oil left in for 4 hours and then washed out, so I decided to try it for these little (less than 3 week old) kits.

I soaked them, taking care to avoid eye and mouth areas, with the olive oil and left it on. Their mom licked them clean and not a flea since. I recommend treating moms with worming medication after treatment since fleas ingested result in worms. And I would re-treat in 7 days or any time the fleas reappear. I don't recommend ANY essential oils (tea tree, cedar, peppermint, etc.) as they can kill any small critter.

By Creeksend

My son came home with lice and now I have it. We are doing the combing out method with conditioner, etc. but I was curious by the nurses comments about olive oil for a previous patient. Did the olive oil get rid of the patient's lice infestation?

Thanks to Everyone for your great recommendations! We also have a new puppy and it looks like he has fleas as well!

To all those who have said they used essential oils...please read the above answers about tea tree and essential oils and don't use it. If you will buy Talstar it can be sprayed inside and out of homes and put flea spot on like advantage for at least 1 month(on mama cat that you can catch) There is a spot on for kittens in Advantage. In the long run once you get rid of them you can quit spending money but the best money spent will be on the Talstar.

Olive is great way never used but i am going to try :)

Wow! I did not know Tea Tree Oil was dangerous to small critters. I have tried it on my adult cats,putting a dab in a flea comb and running it through their fur. They hated it,so I didn't get far with it. Frontline doesn't seem to work anymore. My vet suggested Cheristin (sp?), which does seem to work.

Anonymous

voice of experience here. do not use essential oils on your cat.. kitty systems cannot process things such as tea tree oil or peppermint and will cause great damage, if not death. and steer clear of any product by hartz if you value the continued life of your cat to any degree. Head lice on anyone, cats or people, can be easily gotten rid of with mayonnaise. no joke. the lice, like the flea, cannot breathe through an oily application. Also, while dawn dish-washing liquid might not repel fleas, it will kill them. just make sure, you let it sit for several minutes, then rinse kitty off really well. once dry, use a flea comb on the cat's coat. dropping whatever fleas caught on the comb, into a bowl of soapy water to finish them off.

I have 13 year old cat. She is infesting with fleas bad. I have done everything!! I mean everything. I wash her dawn soap. Yep there goes fleas crawl up her face. And had to shave her too. I vacuumed and wash everything and yep there go my electric bills. Ive call the vet and still got no responsed. Im at end of rope here. Can anybody help me with good advice and im still wondering if olive oil work. Gosh i dont want kill her or make her sick. Please help im really desperate!!

But the lady at the pet story gave me a peppermint oil and clove extract vet-recommended flea spray. She promised it wouldn't hurt my cat and said she used it all the time.

Anonymous

Try the olive oil. It can't hurt your pet unless they lick a lot of it from their fur then I guess they'll get an upset tummy and maybe it will come back up. I know the olive oil works for head lice so I don't know why it wouldn't on feas. Only it will only kill the ones on them so you'll have to vacuum, salt, wash bedding before you let them back on it or they will probably get reinfested. I have heard apply the salt and leave it to kill the eggs. So vacuum first, apply salt and leave it whatever the flea life cycle is. Also retreat your animals again after that many days too, to kill new fleas

People that are having bad flea problems. May not know it but cats dogs and other animals get stuck right fleas, they are bigger then a car or dog flea and they burrow into your pet like a tick but not as bad. Flea meds font kill them they also can swim and don't drown so they are also becoming a problem they are actually a chicken flea so if anyone has chickens too check them as well these are hard to kill I will try the olive oil because frontline and others will kill your pet before those fleas, if anyone knows of other ways to deal with them cheap let us all know for babies don't stand a chance they kill kittens fast

For future lice problems, use apple cider vinegar, it will kill all live lice and nits in one application. I have used it on a horse and chickens with total success in one treatment. I sponged it on the horse and left it to dry. I sprayed it on the chickens with a gallon yard sprayer (new and clean) and put them in sunshine to dry and for warmth. I also sprayed the roost, nests, and some of the enclosed pen area. So on people I would rinse head with it and leave to dry. Shampoo later and check results.