Using RIT Dye In A Washing Machine

I always turn all my jeans and pants inside out before putting in my washing machine. My question is: How safe is it to use RIT dyes in your washing machine? I've never done this. I would like to restore the color to some of my navy blue pants as they are still too good to wear but the color has faded somewhat.

Las Vegas Angel

Using RIT Dye In A Washing Machine
Post by hugmehugs
Angel, I have used Rit dye in my washer many times; it's the easiest way to dye in my opinion. Just run your machine through a full cycle, with detergent and bleach, after you are done dying. I have never had any problems with the dye getting on my other clothes.
Using RIT Dye In A Washing Machine
thriftyone (Guest Post)
I agree. Also, if you are using a dark color, I double the amount and use HOT water, letting it swish around in the washer longer than a normal cycle. I "restart" the cycle every 10 minutes or so (before it drains and rinses) and then finally double rinse.

Make sure your pants are thoroughly WET before you put them in so the color is absorbed evenly. Good luck! I use it all the time.

Using RIT Dye In A Washing Machine
debbie (Guest Post)
I use rit dye all the time, especially to re-darken a perfect pair of black cotton pants. I have even used it to repair or re-color a cotton sweater that I accidentally got bleach on the first time I washed it. I just over-dyed it one shade darker. I agree with the comments on using two packages for dark colors, using hot water and pre-wetting. I would add that to dye safely you must also follow the directions exactly, and wear old clothes while dying because the powder gets everywhere. I have a special measuring cup and spoon I use just for mixing the dye. Another thing is to keep a small damp rag and diluted bleach ready before hand in case you do drip dye or powder on the counter or floor.
Using RIT Dye In A Washing Machine
Post by MrsMoted2
I always dye things in my washer, just run it afterwards, empty of course, with two cups of bleach. Comes out nice and clean.
Using RIT Dye In A Washing Machine
Claudia (Guest Post)
I dyed a tablecloth recently. Just be sure to run an empty cycle before doing a load after you dye. I didn't even add detergent... just the full-cycle rinse did the trick.
Using RIT Dye In A Washing Machine
Angela (Guest Post)
Don't use Rit dye. It's no good. It won't hurt your machine, but it will fade out of your clothes and run onto other clothes in the laundry. Use some decent fiber reactive dye, instead. Do a web search for "Procion MX dye" and buy it by mail. Jacquard is a good brand.

It doesn't matter what kind of dye you use if you have polyester, though. You can't dye polyester with Rit or with better dye.

Using RIT Dye In A Washing Machine
Christa (Guest Post)
I used it in my washer once. The package says to do a load with out any laundry with hot water and bleach to clean the dye... it didn't work so well for me. (b)But the RIT itself works great!(/b)

By ThriftyFun

Using RIT Dye in a Washing Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Washing Machine
Extending the Life of Your Washing Machine
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub