Using Rit Dye to Make Old Clothing Look New

Category Clothing
If you have some clothes that are faded and looking old you can freshen them up by dyeing the clothing. This is a guide about using Rit dye to make old clothing look new.

I found a great way to make my clothing have a new look. I use the Rit dye to change the color of faded or to alter the color of clothing. I even recently dyed my white towels that were still plush, but didn't have that crisp white look anymore. I used a fraction of the purple dye to make a soft lavender. They came out beautiful.

I also looked online for 'recipes' for custom dye colors, using the basic colors found at the store, to make colors such as aqua and apricot. I even thought of dying my white sheets a pretty color to match my duvet cover. Lots of possibilities. Have fun!

By S. Mart

Top Comment

Another tip I discovered, is to disolve the dye in some of the hot water, but NOT while the washer is filling, or you get dye particles everywhere in, on, and around your machine! I did that and what a mess to clean up! I dye my jeans when they lose their new color and it sure works.

Top Comment

I use 1 cup of salt in the rinse water in my machine to set dye. I've been able to wear the same few pairs of black jeans for years by dyeing them when they get too faded. And I've been known to dye a pair of black pants after forgetting that tissue in the pocket. You've never done that? Sometimes I just can't get all the lint off so I dye them black again-problem solved.

We have 5 daughters. As a result, a lot of clothes get passed down as hand me downs. The younger ones complain about the jeans already being faded out. If they are still decent jeans, I don't want to buy more. So, what I do is Rit dye them back. One box of dye will do several pairs of jeans or jean cut offs.

By April from NW Missouri

Top Comment

I used to do the same thing years ago. The darker the color, the thinner I look!

Top Comment

GOOD FOR YOU and your thrifty-ness. I too use rit dye to change the color of our bath towels, kitchen towels and even our bed sheets AS they are all so expensive. This way it seems like they are new (but they are not). I have the same linens and towels that we have had since 1995 I have only changed the colors on them all as my tastes in decorating has changed. NOW that isn't bad on our families budget at all. Try it you too will be amazed as I was.